Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: yamaha L series?  (Read 10910 times)
colliedog

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2008, 10:12:59 AM »

I'm looking at a small bodied yami L series, LSX26. It looks great, feels great, and sounds incredible. Does anyone know if these guitars are as good as they seem, and are they worth their hefty price tag?
DuaneD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 02:16:42 PM »

A few months ago I picked up an LL6 and thought it was a great guitar.  This is the cheapest in the L series with laminate back and sides.  I thought wow I bet the LL16 will be killer (solid wood) but preferd the SOUND of the LL6.  Nerver tried the 26 but would love to.  If I found a deal on a used LL6 I would grab it in a second.

Larrivee D03R
Martin 000-16GT
Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar in Black
Gibson Les Paul Standard 1990 LTD Colour EDT Amber
Gibson Les Paul Special TV Yelolow
Gibson ES-137 Sunburst
Gibson 335 - Cherry O'Baby
Fender Deluxe Strat 2 color burst
Fender 52 Tele reissue
Gibson Les Paul JR DBL Cut Nashville
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 02:34:17 AM »

are we talking about both L and LL series?
colliedog

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 01:59:58 PM »

Thanks for the input. I believe the LL, LS, and LJ are all part of the L series, and refer to different bodies. 
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 01:40:18 AM »

If you go to page 85 of your vol.1 from the japan Vinyage series of books, theres an 18 page article on the Ls and LLs with lots of pics and a chart showing when each model was introduced and specs on them. The authors actually list the Ls and Lls seperately, earliest Luxury series guitar the L-31 is listed as being introduced in July 1974. The first of the LLs didn`t come out until November 1985, the LL-55D...so it does make a difference, if you want an L-31 made from Brazilian rosewood these days, it`s gonna cost you both in terms of materials and historical value, which may make some chuckle...Yamaha? historical?...over here, yes very much so.
You are correct, the LLs do come in different body sizes but according to my book, the Ls came in what resembles a dred size body, and they have a pic of a jumbo type L-52 custom. The N series Yamahas came out around the same time as the Ls, mid 70s.
For the record the books do not have an LSX-26 listed...may have been an export or it came out after the books were published.   
supermongrel

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 10:18:48 PM »

I've found Yamaha to produce some very well crafted instruments especially for the money charged. Set my friend up with a fantastic Yamaha acoustic, can't remember the exact model, but they definitely hold their own.
limnephilidae

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 10:44:04 PM »

They are excellent guitars. People who can afford them tend to go with the Taylors or Martins because they don't appreciate the handmade quality. There is a shop-worn LLX26 for a very good price that I have my eye on locally. The quality on the 26 models and up is absolutely crazy! I think that if you are looking for a Martin sound then they are automatically out (not enough boom); the Yamaha is more delicate, sweet, and warm. I found their necks VERY comfortable. They have very slightly more pronounced bass (26 models and up) than a Larrivee L, as they are not balanced the same way as a Larrivee (and that's fine).

Cheers,

Adam

Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson
outdoorgb

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 12:04:47 AM »

I picked up a Yamaha LS6 about 4 weeks ago. This is a Grand Concert or 000 size I believe.
Solid Engalman Spruce top with rosewood lam S/B

I love the size. The build is excellent.

The sound is not up to par with my Larrivee L03R but I knew that when I ordered. Lacks the warm woody bass of the Larrivee. Well balanced though...I took it to lessons last night and my instructor was impressed. (Larrivee die hard)...

I bought the laminate series (6) over the 16, 26 because I wanted a guitar I could take with me to friends and families houses...maybe outside during good weather. I think it will open up over time...it does have a nice gloss finish to stiffen it up.

Oh and strings...I tried the stock Yamaha anti rust (suck), Dean Markley Vintage Bronze (too bright), D'addario (my all around string...it was ok), now have DR Rare's (nice )...

Be Prepared...
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 02:21:31 AM »

evidently the 6 and 16 are not made in Japan. Theres an LS-36 on sale locally for about $1800.oo, crazy ain`t it...and worse...I`ve been thinking of buying it. Somebody slap me.
rpm60912
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 02:56:29 AM »

I'm looking at a small bodied yami L series, LSX26. It looks great, feels great, and sounds incredible. Does anyone know if these guitars are as good as they seem, and are they worth their hefty price tag?

If hefty price tag means in the 500-800 USD range, then I would certainly recommend you look at a used Larrivee OM - not familiar with Yamaha models so I don't know how small the LSX26 is.

I'm also biased towards guitars that are made in USA or Canada and are Solid Wood everything.

my .02 cents,

ricky
flathead

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 03:32:04 AM »

The LL series are very under rated guitars I have a 84' LL25 it has a lot of wear on the face ( previous owner ) I got mine 3 years ago for $ 305.00  the side and back are rosewood with poly gloss, and the top only finnish is Nitro. Nice size, nice sound, plays like butter. I love the herringbone. and on the headstock one L is abalone and the other L is mother of pearl.   Here is a link to the yamaha site with info on history and sizes of the LL and L series. http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/guitar/aguitar/history.html

Larrivee D-60
Larrivee D-05 Gryphon Headstock
Guild F-35NT
Gibson B-25
Yamaha LL-25
Martin D-16H
Martin LX1
1902  "Up toDate Guitar" oak parlor
1944 d-28  Martin ( sold last year )
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 09:04:48 AM »

I`ve had my LL-33-J for about 10 years now I guess, fabulous guitar, as good as anything I see in shops here made by anybody. Yamahas are under rated by people who don`t own any `cause once you do,  you understand. Actually a good thing they are under rated...keeps prices more reasonable for those of us who love em.
mikevernon

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 11:12:40 AM »

I had the LLX6 for a while.  The quality of the finish was the best I've come across, certainly better than my Larrivee.
The sound was fine, but compared to my favourite guitar, the Tanglewood TW15NS, it lacked volume and response in the middle and bass range.  I suspect that the heavier build was responsible.

Larrivee P-09
Walden G3030CE
Martin SPD-16W
Tanglewood TW15 Heritage + TW15ASM + TW15/12 + TW15Baby
Tanglewood TW1000
Tanglewood Black Mountain 210
Faith Saturn 12
Faith Mercury Parlour
Johnson Carolina JD27
Johnson JGG-12 Maccaferri copy
Vintage V300
Ozark 3515BE Resonator with NRP Hotrod cone