Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This should be interesting... Mervyn Davis Guitars  (Read 2437 times)
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2008, 02:29:51 AM »

http://www.mervyndavisguitars.com/

Quite unconventional.

[attachment deleted by admin]

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 03:40:43 AM »

Wow - I'm trying to download the audio file - I'd love to try one of these just to say I did - Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 03:44:04 AM »

Banjo on acid whistling
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 07:05:39 PM »

This is a polarizing design. You love it, or hate it. I love the uniqueness, the artistic quality, the out of the box mentality. However, I really don't think I could ever play one in public. I think I would feel like the freak show at the circus. But, maybe I could convince myself that everyone was staring at me because of my superior playing...

...NAH!!!!

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
strawintogold
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 07:06:39 PM »

Picasso does acoustic?

holly

"Needs more cowbell."

http://www.artfire.com/users/goatmountainarts
15% discount for Larrivee Forum Members (enter Larrivee coupon code at checkout)
 Handmade soap and stuff.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 07:26:25 PM »

This is a polarizing design. You love it, or hate it. I love the uniqueness, the artistic quality, the out of the box mentality. However, I really don't think I could ever play one in public. I think I would feel like the freak show at the circus. But, maybe I could convince myself that everyone was staring at me because of my superior playing...

...NAH!!!!
    That deserves a 
jwb

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 12:00:55 PM »

I listened to the sound files of these on the dream guitars website (I think) a few months back and wasn't entirely impressed.  I do like the outside-the-box thinking that went into these guitars, but I don't know if I would want one unless it really blew me away tone-wise.  I too, would need to play A LOT better to get away with having one of these on stage and not looking like a sideshow freak.

Justin

OM-03 MT Custom (Cree Studios "Fish Guitar")
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 05:41:32 AM »

I'm getting mine end of December. I'm fortunate to know Mervyn, and he called me on Friday to inform me that he'd just finished gluing mine's top. For all the skeptics out there, the proof is in the eating and believe me, the "taste" is wonderful. The sound clips are OK, but not nearly the same as the "real thing". These are the most responsive guitars I've ever played. Mine is unique in the sense that it is the first (and only so far) slotted headstock-steel string.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 08:10:22 AM »

Zohn -- Very cool. Congrats! Which model did you get? What woods did he use? Fill us in! Of course, we'll expect pics and a review as soon as you receive delivery.

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 08:48:03 AM »

Zohn -- Very cool. Congrats! Which model did you get? What woods did he use? Fill us in! Of course, we'll expect pics and a review as soon as you receive delivery.
Thanx Dale - I'm getting the Smoothtalker, like on the photos from Dream Guitar's web-site. Major difference is the Headstock which is slotted, and furnished with a cool set of Gotohs. Mine's body is also deeper for more bottom end. Mervyn is also fitting an LR Baggs active ribbon transducer - this is an ultimate acoustic-electric with no feedback. Top wood is wide-grained Engelman. The neck, back and body (sides) are Kiaat. (also known as African Teak) The body (sides) is machined (routed) out of a single piece. It is found naturally in East Africa to Northern South Africa. They were initially used to manufacture canoes by tribesman, but (fortunately) this practice was stopped, and similar designs (made of composite materials) are encouraged to be used now. It is also used for high class furniture, cabinet work and high grade flooring, and of course a tone wood of note. The fingerboard is made from "Hardekool" which is also unique to our region, and one of Africa's "best-kept" secrets (like African Blackwood).
I'll post photos in the new year.
Check out some more of the detailed photo's from Guitar Gallery's web-site - this is what mine looks like - except for the head-stock, enjoy....

http://www.guitargal.com/cgi-bin/display.pl?db=db1&tp=tp2&show=375

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 07:39:23 PM »

Just listened to the sound clip on Guitar Gallery's site. Pretty good player. Looking at the bass, I could almost get behind that! As said, I play too much in public and would be too self conscious to use the guitars, but the bass would be ultimately cool. Non conventional basses don't attract near the attention a guitar would. Alas... money is always the issue.

However, they are quite the aesthetic marvel. I would almost just want to hang it on the wall and look at it. Then freak out company when they come over and whip out a fingerstyle piece while they enjoy after dinner coffee.

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 05:12:30 AM »

Just listened to the sound clip on Guitar Gallery's site. Pretty good player. Looking at the bass, I could almost get behind that! As said, I play too much in public and would be too self conscious to use the guitars.
 I would almost just want to hang it on the wall and look at it. Then freak out company when they come over and whip out a fingerstyle piece while they enjoy after dinner coffee.

Oh c'mon - get over it!!! - that's a proper acoustic, and a pretty cool instrument in my part of the world. Obviously they attract special attention, but mostly out of dis-belief   ohmy  because of the incredible tone and projection, not to mention the playability... 

magictwanger

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 10:39:43 PM »

Hey Zohn...I think Steven Speilberg beat you to "that" guitar "look"!......Wasn't someone playing it in the "Star Wars" lounge/disco scene from the movie?Apparently the luthier came from a more advanced civilization than ours...It looks fantastic!!!...If you have chosen to get it,I've no doubts it's superb....Enjoy it.  nice guitar
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 02:45:05 AM »

My friend made a couple hybrids. Actually that one looks very similar to his style on those. He made a couple of what he called
Banjatars and mandolars. They were fun to play around with, but that was about it for me.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 07:57:57 PM »

Hey Zohn...I think Steven Speilberg beat you to "that" guitar "look"!......Wasn't someone playing it in the "Star Wars" lounge/disco scene from the movie?Apparently the luthier came from a more advanced civilization than ours...It looks fantastic!!!...If you have chosen to get it,I've no doubts it's superb....Enjoy it.  nice guitar
Thanx Mark my mate!!
I have the preveledge of viewing progress on my guitar every 2 weeks or so, and she's coming on nicely. Mervyn is making mine as part of an order from Dreamguitars, Gruhn's guitars and Guitar Gallery in the states, and he is concentrating on making all the bodies first, necks, sound boards etc. It should be ready towards the end of next month.
Are you playing your 2 new beauties regularly?
Best wishes!!

magictwanger

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 10:20:03 PM »

Zohn,I am very tired lately,from getting to bed SO late!!I'm staying up until 2 PM playing my two new gits,which are simply jaw dropping(thanks for the inspiration again)but I would "still" NOT be without my Larrivee D-03R.

I would love to have gone for a Forum Git,but have spent my guitar monies,for the forseeable future,and await my Bourgeois coming in January.Besides my lovely daughter got engaged just yesterday,and I will need every penny I can save.The wedding costs will surely "do me in"!

Btw,your guitar stable looks to be quite superb!!And I mean that!!....
magictwanger

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 06:17:58 AM »

Correction!!!I meant 2 AM...Whew,I'm tired,but really happy.....

Picked 'em up this past Saturday.Aside from the really fine 00=SP,that I spent time with,I was very impressed with a "stunning sounding" Huss & Dalton "hog/sitka dread",with gorgeous Koa Binding.

"Sheesh",did that thing have a crisp and cutting sound!!Too bad I'm out of money... 
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 02:48:51 PM »

Correction!!!I meant 2 AM...Whew,I'm tired,but really happy.....

Picked 'em up this past Saturday.Aside from the really fine 00=SP,that I spent time with,I was very impressed with a "stunning sounding" Huss & Dalton "hog/sitka dread",with gorgeous Koa Binding.

"Sheesh",did that thing have a crisp and cutting sound!!Too bad I'm out of money... 
Know the feeling!! - Thankfully, my galls are opening up nicely, so I don't stay up that late  (or is it early??) any longer.  Any way, congratulations on your daughter's engagement, I have 2 of my own, and I guess it's "a matter of time" for me hey? Oh man I'm dreaming of that 00-SP (after the H-13). The dealer that I bought my Larri's from, recommends the H&D's very highly, and he recons every of their models, are the best guitars for the money....
Best
Zohn

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: