Neil Young's Prairie Wind

Started by bearsville0, June 26, 2008, 11:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ditto on the UH, OH!     

So how are those Ping tuners working out? :whistling:

Quote from: bearsville0 on July 25, 2008, 10:12:48 PM
"Urgency" to me is the key word there. Perhaps ducktrapper would agree with me, I don't think there is any urgency in trashing Bush these days. He's already toast.

I would rather people did their social duty through an op-ed column or a public demonstration or by just recycling after themselves.

Call me selfish but I want my art to be more about being emotionally moved to either dance or to cry. Speaking out through music about important social issues sounds great but I would guess it rarely makes any difference. Look at  that "We are the world" event in the 80s to help Africa. The best thing that came out of that was that they had a good rehearsal for when they had to do it again 20 years later. Sorry to be so cynical but I'm just too jaded about art having any real political wallop.

Why write, record or share music?

Entertainment..... sure.  Sing jump and shout.  Go Elvis!!!  Go Britney!!!  Go go go.
Communication....absoulutly and war is something to cry about.  Way to go Neil.

Is Living With War his best work?  Up to everyone to decide for themselves.  Will it influence some?  Will it bore others?  Will it bring about mass change?  I read a quote from Neil who says no but he will do it anyway.

I do prefer Praire Wind to sit and listen to.  Though.
Larrivee D03R
Martin 000-16GT
Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar in Black
Gibson Les Paul Standard 1990 LTD Colour EDT Amber
Gibson Les Paul Special TV Yelolow
Gibson ES-137 Sunburst
Gibson 335 - Cherry O'Baby
Fender Deluxe Strat 2 color burst
Fender 52 Tele reissue
Gibson Les Paul JR DBL Cut Nashville

Ohio, LIFE,YOUTH,                                   DEATH

That is why it chills me still to this moment. Not politics or art.

I just watched Heart of Gold the other night.  I loved it.  Also just got Massey Hall which I honestly think should be put in a time capsule!  I was born in 64 so I didn't live through the classic Neil years as a teen or college student, but MAN, that guy just knew how to capture the times.  I can't think of any other artist that can go to the extremes and excel the way he can.  I love both.  The super fuzzed (e.g. Ragged Glory, Live Rust, etc.) and the somber (Prairie Wind, Harvest Moon) and then the whole seventies thing.  But, I too couldn't get into "Living with War".

Along the lines of Massey, I bought the other archives release, Crazy Horse at Fillmore.  For me, it doesn't work.  It's right in the middle, not fuzzed enough.  What do you think of that one, is it just me?
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)