Musical influence

Started by johnmusic88, June 20, 2008, 02:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

As a musician, I have been greatly influenced by classic rock, especially the music of one of the greatest classic rock groups, Steve Miller Band. Their song, Fly like an Eagle is definitely one of the greatest classic rock hits. I was looking at their webstie the other day, www.stevemillerband.com, and found out that they have a new DVD out called Live from Chicago. I can't wait to go out and buy it! Does anyone else have it? Let me know what you guys think about it.

- john umgd

My greatest musical influences were AND are:

Bob Dylan
Cat Stevens
Neil Young
Bruce Cockburn
Gord Lightfoot

:thumbsup
:guitar

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."

My greatest influences:

Beatles
CSN
CCR
Phil Keaggy
06' Larrivee LV-03E
89' Fender Strat Custom Shop
85' Zion Electric
Carvin all tube vintage amps
And a lot of other junk!

johnmusic88

Re: the Steve Miller in Chicago DVD....

I'm pretty sure this is the concert that was shown on PBS stations a week or two ago during one of their frequent pledge drives.  I caught most of it and it appears he is still King of the Understated Guitar Licks.  Nice Clean Strat Tones and technical perfection with a minimum of showmanship.   Worth a look if you're a Steve Miller fan (or even if you're not)

tuffythepug

Quote from: canoe65 on June 25, 2008, 12:30:13 PM
My greatest musical influences were AND are:

Bob Dylan
Cat Stevens
Neil Young
Bruce Cockburn
Gord Lightfoot

That's quite a strong list there, canoe.  I would only add to that:  CS & N.

jimmy

Quote from: jimmy buffett on June 27, 2008, 09:05:21 AM
That's quite a strong list there, canoe.  I would only add to that:  CS & N.

jimmy

Jimmy,

Agreed, but actually I make that CSN&Y.    :cheers
:guitar

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."

Hmmm, I went thru several phases and so have a rather wide range of influences.  It is not uncommon for me to play a quiet Hawaiian Slack Key song followed by Greenday. 

Hawaiian:  Eddie Kamae, Keola Beamer, Sunday Manoa, and the immortal Gabby Pahinui

Rock:  Beatles, Allman Brothers, Santana, Zeplin,

Acoustic:  Batdorf and Rodney, America, CSN & Y, Loggins & Messina

and Clapton
7? NBN CT R LTD (custom concert Size) http://media.putfile.com/Pupu-HinuhinuKahuli-Aku-NBN-CT-R-Ltd
76 Martin D-35 (MIA)
58 Harmony Sovereign 1203
06 S & P Woodland Spruce 12
01 Larrivee L09  http://media.putfile.com/Manu-Kai-Larrivee-L09

Gordon Lightfoot will always be number one but let's not forget:

Jim Croce, Leo Kottke, Harry Chapin, John Denver, Doc Watson, Norman Blake, Stefan Grossman, James Taylor the list is endless.

Quote from: teh on June 27, 2008, 03:57:29 PM
...but let's not forget:
Jim Croce...
A friend of mine is producing demo sessions and I was invited to sit in to play some acoustic accompaniment a few nights ago. The singer had written a song with a really nice melody, but played it in a very "Buck Owens - Tiger By The Tail" kind of style. He said he was going to do it in his "Elvis voice". I suggested he slow the whole thing down and started fingerpicking what I meant. He sang a verse and stopped and said "Now it sounds like a Jim Croce song - I LOVE Jim Croce." 
I said, "I love his music too... and you sound just like him when you sing in your own voice".   :thumb

dg

The Beatles.

Others "of influenza" include in no particular order: Gordon Lightfoot, Led Zeppelin, Simon & Garfunkel (OK, Simon), John Denver, AKUS, Pink Floyd, Doc Watson, Tony Rice, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (Will the Circle Be Unbroken trilogy), Michael Martin Murphey, Moody Blues, Al Stewart, Bob Dylan, Tchaikovsky, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, and more...
Cheers,

Will

Acoustic, Electric & Air guitars

Mine are,

Robert Johnson
Eric Clapton
The Beatles
Neil Young
Bob Dylan
Jeffrey

IN ORDER...........DYLAN, CLAPTON, YOUNG, PETTY, ALLMAN, and  the original Fleetwood Mac's Peter Greene.

And about a hundred more but these guys influenced me the most musically.

Tuffythepug

Dave Van Ronk!!!
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

My listed order is purely random without pecking order.

Martin Simpson
Bob Dylan
Davy Graham
John Prine
Bert Jansch
Leo Kottke
John Renbourn

This is a mixture of instrumental and lyrical influences for me.

All who in turn had their influences. Genealogy/derivation can be an interesting pursuit...to a point.

Come Back To Us Barbara Lewis Hare Krishna Beauregard. Lyrics compressed to a diamonds density and honed to cut the hardest surface.

I'll give another vote for Clapton but it's just silly not to mention him.

Bob Dylan was the guy who taught me it was alright to tell stories, though I think of him more of a poet these days than a musician. Same goes for good ol' Leonard Cohen.

I've got to say that I'm huge fan of the following guys too (no order):

Muddy Waters   :bowdown:
Taj Mahal    :bowdown:
Robbie Robertson    :bowdown:
Robben Ford   :bowdown:
Robert Johnson    :bowdown:
Duane Allman  :bowdown:

Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

The inimitable Ry Cooder.  Still trying to come close on his Blind Blake version of Ditty Wah Ditty.  And add Blake too!

Norman Blake, Tony Rice, David Bromberg, Little Toby Walker, Doc Watson, Leo Kottke, Harvey Reid, Alex De Grassi, Chris Smither, Nick Drake, Robert Johnson, Richard Thompson... Sorry, I could keep going, but you get the idea.
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

John Mayer
Josh Kelly
Jason Mraz
Tommy E
Doyle Dykes
Terry Kath
Monty Montgomery
America (the band)
Ruben Z ( my buddy)good player,with great feel.
My Bro also(never gives me a lesson,just tells me to play)
Dave

Quote from: ncognito on July 05, 2008, 09:32:27 AM
Norman Blake, Tony Rice, David Bromberg, Little Toby Walker, Doc Watson, Leo Kottke, Harvey Reid, Alex De Grassi, Chris Smither, Nick Drake, Robert Johnson, Richard Thompson... Sorry, I could keep going, but you get the idea.

No need to go on you said it all when you said Richard Thompson!
oz
Atlanta, GA.

Larrivee LSV-11
Blueridge BR-1060 Carter Stanley
Hagstrom O102S Cedar/Hog OM

Gordon Lightfoot will always be number one but let's not forget:

Jim Croce, Leo Kottke, Harry Chapin, John Denver, Doc Watson, Norman Blake, Stefan Grossman, James Taylor the list is endless.

As an oldster I was very much influenced by the above but would like to add the Beatles, Peter, Paul and Mary(where I learned my finger picking style from) and Neil Diamond...but...the list is truly endless... :bowdown: