Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L-09K: Gap between body & fretboard at neck joint...advice?  (Read 1070 times)
alphasports

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2008, 01:51:24 PM »

I just noticed that my L-09 koa, recently purchased from a forum member, has a small gap at the joint where the fretboard meets the body near the neck joint (see pics attached). I have no idea if this was present when I bought it or if it's a consequence of recent high humidity, I'm not too concerned, but would like some advice as to what I might do next. Has no apparent effect on sound or structure. The length of the gap is maybe 2 - 2.5", and is very narrow, just enough to insert the edge of a thin piece of paper.

I guess my main question is whether this is humidity-related and it might settle back down, or if I should consider getting it reglued at some point.

Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

----------------------------------
Martin HD28
Martin J-41 Special
Collings 000-2H
and a few others
Ponte

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 02:48:46 PM »

In a lesser way the same happens to my P09
I think it doesn´t matter
Unclerob?????

"Guitars can seriously damage your health"

1977 American Fender Strat
2005 Larrivée L-05
2004 Amalio Burguet 3F flamenco spanish guitar
Many various other guitars gone,  ...hopefully to a good home.

http://guit-ar.com. Guitar drawings and artwork by Juan Ponte
alphasports

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 03:25:16 PM »

In a lesser way the same happens to my P09
I think it doesn´t matter
Unclerob?????

Funny, this was one of Unclerob's guitars. I recently bought it from the guy he sold it to!

Martin HD28
Martin J-41 Special
Collings 000-2H
and a few others
Ponte

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 03:32:56 PM »

What a small world
I´m sure is not an important issue, but his expert opinion would be very valuable

"Guitars can seriously damage your health"

1977 American Fender Strat
2005 Larrivée L-05
2004 Amalio Burguet 3F flamenco spanish guitar
Many various other guitars gone,  ...hopefully to a good home.

http://guit-ar.com. Guitar drawings and artwork by Juan Ponte
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 02:51:58 AM »

I'm no unclerob for sure...But it does seem that it could be humidity related. As you probably know too much or too little can really cause a number or contortion acts on the different types of wood and joints and metal etc. all expanding and contracting at different rates. Put it in a totally controlled situation a few days and then recheck is my best advice.
         Some of my guitars can't take a change in humidity for more than a few hours. Others don't seem to be effected by anything. Danny

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
alphasports

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 12:05:03 PM »

I'm no unclerob for sure...But it does seem that it could be humidity related. As you probably know too much or too little can really cause a number or contortion acts on the different types of wood and joints and metal etc. all expanding and contracting at different rates. Put it in a totally controlled situation a few days and then recheck is my best advice.
         Some of my guitars can't take a change in humidity for more than a few hours. Others don't seem to be effected by anything. Danny

Thanks for the advice. While humidity up here in Montreal has been pretty high for the past month or so, I keep my better guitars upstairs in their cases, and the room hygrometer is generally stable around 55% (with occasional temporary swings way past that). I'll send the link to this thread to 12th Fret and see what they have to say.

Martin HD28
Martin J-41 Special
Collings 000-2H
and a few others
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 01:35:18 PM »

Never noticed a problem with it in all the years I played it.I wouldn't worry about it.

nice guitar

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 02:14:54 PM »

Thanks for the advice. While humidity up here in Montreal has been pretty high for the past month or so, I keep my better guitars upstairs in their cases, and the room hygrometer is generally stable around 55% (with occasional temporary swings way past that). I'll send the link to this thread to 12th Fret and see what they have to say.
   That seems a tad on the high end to me and some of my gits react to high quicker than others and vice versa. Danny

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
alphasports

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 05:24:15 PM »

Never noticed a problem with it in all the years I played it.I wouldn't worry about it.

nice guitar

Unclerob, I agree. It doesn't bother me and more importantly it doesn't seem to bother the guitar. Thanks for taking such good care of it, still doesn't have a scratch!
Andrew

Martin HD28
Martin J-41 Special
Collings 000-2H
and a few others
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: