Amp Question

Started by wrightdawg, June 18, 2008, 02:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi there,

A quick question for you guys out there- I'm thinking of having a pickup (something very unobtrusive like a K&K) put into my D-03r and was wondering- can I use any amp to play through or should I get an amp labeled an acoustic amp?  I currently have a Vox 15watt amp that is plenty good for an electric guitar, but not sure how it would work with an acoustic?

I appreciate the help.

Most electric amps aren't great for acoustics, because they are specifically designed for the tonal qualities (and pickups) of electrics.  Some Fenders can do the job in a pinch because they have such a nice transparent clean sound.  I doubt a Vox 15-watter would sound that great with an acoustic, because the classic qualities of Vox amps -- chimey and midrangey -- would just make the acoustic sound tinny.

All just IMO.  And by the way, I say that as a huge fan of Vox amps for electrics.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Acoustic amps are a totally different animal than electrics. Do your guitar a favor and purchase a dedicated acoustic amp for it. You can search the archives for my posts in my eternal quest for an amp that would do both. Needless to say I spent a lot of money and still gave up. I currently have a Reverend Kingsnake for my electric and an Ultrasound for my acoustic.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

I am an endorsing artist with Ultra Sound Amps as I am with Larrivee' and Dean Markley and here is why.... Total sound reproduction! I love the
DSX personally because it fits what I do... http://www.ultrasoundamps.com/pdfs/DSX_PowerStack%20Flyer%202-1-08.pdf
http://www.larrivee.com/5_features/artists.html

I have had an L-03 (sapele) with a K&K mini from Trinity for about 8 months.  Just got an amp last weekend.  Brought my guitar in to GC and compared the Roland AC-60, Fishman Loudbox 100 and Marshall AS-50D.  I wanted something that I could run my AT-2020 condenser mike and guitar into, so I needed a combo with phantom power.  The Marshall won hands down.  The sound was just awesome.  Slightly warmer and more natural/analog sounding, more power than the AC-60, sounded most like my guitar of the three.  The Fishman was about as loud, but the sound was harder to get to mate up to the K&K well and more flat/cold sounding.  Playing the Fishman and Roland, I was kind of squinting and fiddling with dials a lot.  With the Marshall, just a big grin and  having at it.  Used the Marshall for an outdoor concert last weekend and just loved the sound.  It cut through the PA & other amps well.  I'd highly recommend taking your guitar in and trying a bunch.  The Marshall wasn't really on the radar when I left the house.

I was on the fence about getting an amp, but will use it a lot I think, as a monitor through our PA, for practicing (using the RCA line-ins to play along with songs from my ipod--a little quiet but it works), leading worship at other venues, etc.  Also there's just something about practicing through the amp, with the sound coming right at you, vs unplugged, where it projects away from you.  It's a nice change of feedback from the instrument.  Would have like to have tried the Ultrasonic 50 watt, based on the great reviews, but no one carries it near me and didn't want to wait/order it blind.

I've found the K&K to be a tough match for some things.  It's very hot.  I got the K&K di box to go with it, but it's still such a hot pickup I can't use much of the range in any of the dials on the di box.  I have to have the gain set almost at zero on our board at church, and on my di box, just to get a clean sound.  If I had it to do again, I'd skip the di box and just buy the amp sooner, use that for a monitor/di.  Might also just order the guitar with the electronics built in, although I get a lot of compliments on the sound and like the minimal intervention of the K&K.  Miss the ability to adjust volume & tone at the guitar.

The L-03 is incredible.   The sound is beautiful and rich, whether strumming, flat picking or playing fingerstyle.  The bass, especially the E string, is powerful and clear--almost alleviates the need for a bass when we're playing.  I love playing it.  The neck width is perfect.  I can finger things on it that I just can't on my old ovation with its skinny neck.  My only complaint is that sometimes the A string gets a little muddy.  I tend to notice this when playing a hard (non-barre) G chord.  I have it strung with lights on the 4 highest strings and mediums E and A strings (Elixers for now).  The bass was too reserved with all lights.  I may try a light A string the next time around.  It also looks great--just classic and simple.  Love the satin finish.  There's not a guitar out there I'd rather own at this point.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Sean

I have a D-05 with a K&K Pure Western M pick-up. So I've got a pretty similar set-up as yours.

Regarding the amp situation, I think it depends on how/where you will be playing live. If you're playing in clubs, it's best to not use an amp and play straight through the house PA. That's what a vast majority of artists/bands do. Once you've pushed your signal through an amp and have it mic'd and played through the PA, it'll have lost much of its acoustic qualities.

If you're not playing clubs, but still have access to a PA system, I'd still go through that.

If you don't have that, then I'd settle on an acoustic guitar amp and NOT an electric guitar amp. An electric guitar and an acoustic guitar are two very different animals, and the amps made for each have taken that into consideration. Not that any damage will be done if you have to play through an electric amp. But if you want to get a good sound, something that approximates your actual acoustic sound, then you'd best stick with an acoustic guitar amp.

I use one for band practice. It's handy in that it provides me with a decent way to amplify both my voice and my guitar. I did a lot of research, and while I found many great possibilities, I settled on an SWR California Blonde II. It helped that my hero Steve Earle uses them live as well.   :bgrin: Just a few other artists that use SWR: Jackson Browne, Lindsey Buckingham, Keb' Mo', and Phil Lesh.

SWR has the California Blonde II that can be extended with the Baja Blonde cabinet, as well as the smaller Stawberry Blonde II.

SWR started out focusing only on bass amps. Once they started developing bass amps for stand-ups, that paved the way for their acoustic line which focuses on a wide range of acoustic instruments. Check them out here:

http://www.swrsound.com/products//search.php?section=swrsound&cat=acousticseries

And while I love my California Blonde II, I have never used it for any club shows. I've only used it in solo acoustic situations where no other PA was available.

Oh yeah, one other thing to keep in mind when amplifying acoustic guitars (whether it's through a PA or an amp) is the ease of feedback. I've had great success, even in loud club situations with a full band, with the Feedback Buster. It's a rubber disc that covers your sound hole.

Good luck and let us know what you settle on!
Larrivee D-60 SBT
Larrivee SD-40R w/gloss top
Larrivee D-05
Larrivee L-10-12
Larrivee P-09
Martin HD-28 w/'35 SBT
Goldtone Banjitar GT-750
Big Muddy MW-0w Mandolin
Fender American Telecaster
Fender '51 P-Bass (MIJ)
1984 Tama Superstar Drum Kit
Paiste 2002/Signature Cymbals