What do you guys think about Gibsons(acoustic)?

Started by es-335, June 13, 2008, 01:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nothing wrong with having an OM AND a J-45.

My OM works bset at home on the couch. When I go out to play with other people I take the AJ. Its usually the loudest best sounding guitar in the room...
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Larrivee and Gibson are my two favorites. Quality of build to me seems much higher on the Larrivee, and they are certainly more consistent. You can order a Larrivee over the internet and rest easy that your guitar is going to be amazing.

Gibson.... eh, not so much. Bit more of a crap shoot, buying sight unseen. You roll the dice, and if you're lucky, you'll win big. You'll pay a lot more, but there is a certain Gibson vibe, that when you get a good one, it's something to hang onto. I love Gibson necks.

Once I had a Larrivee that had a thicker C neck like a Gibson. Regret selling that Larrivee to this day. Best of both worlds for me.

Anyway, it's nice to have one of each, in my view.

I believe Santa Cruz Guitar Company and John Walker make the best acoustic "Gibsons", and Heritage the best "Modern-day-Gibson-electrics". :winkin:  As for me, I played a 70's J200, and was totally in love with it. Also a great SJ-300 with Madagascar B&S which was most impressive - I played it next to an M-38 Martin. I must add that the M-38 was brand new though, and the SJ-300 a more "opened-up" 2004 model.
I would just love to own an SJ200 Montana Gold (Custom) model though (one of only 2 Maple guitars that I like, the other being the Doyle Dykes-Signature Taylor.)
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

i've recently played a 52 Gibson LG1, and was completly blown away by it.   so comfortable to sit and play in the store... and it had a huge sound for such a small guitar. i didn't have a pick on me at the time, but strumming with my nails gave a good sound out of it. It was louder and sounded more clear than the 2 60's J-50s that were in the same room.

I would have loved to take the LG1 home, but a new guitar isn't in the cards right now. seems like I need to save my $$ for other important things.

Larrivee D-50 total sunburst
Larrivee D-03r
Gibson Custom Shop Advance Jumbo Gold
Gibson SG Classic
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull S6+GT
Art&Lutherie 12 String
Epiphone M-20 Mandolin
1960/61 Supro Lap Steel
Squier P-Bass

Quote from: KenHolden on December 11, 2008, 10:13:01 AM
i've recently played a 52 Gibson LG1, and was completly blown away by it.   so comfortable to sit and play in the store... and it had a huge sound for such a small guitar. i didn't have a pick on me at the time, but strumming with my nails gave a good sound out of it. It was louder and sounded more clear than the 2 60's J-50s that were in the same room.

I would have loved to take the LG1 home, but a new guitar isn't in the cards right now. seems like I need to save my $$ for other important things.

That is the gib that my B-25 3/4 N is made after.

just thought I would give an update on my gibby. After about 6 months of playing, it is really starting to open up nicely. My OM-03R was a great guitar for the money but the new gibson is every bit as good sound wise and has the added benefit of a super easy to play 24 3/4 scale and a really nice fishman plus pickup with a built in tuner that works great.

Larrivee 03 series guitars are still one of the best buys out there imho. However when you look at the higher end larrivee models, it is at least wise to compare the other US brands as the cost advantage for Larrivee tends to shrink as you move up to the higher end models.

speaking of gibson guitars, anyone have an opinion of the lower cost canadian made Gibsons yet? Seems Gibson is copying the Larrivee strategy there. Make the lower end acoustics in Canada to take advantage of lower cost labor and make the more expensive models in the US.
Fender American Strat
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson ES-335
05 Larrivee OM-03R
Gibson LC-1 Cascade

Quote from: Zohn on December 11, 2008, 01:39:24 AM
I believe Santa Cruz Guitar Company and John Walker make the best acoustic "Gibsons", and Heritage the best "Modern-day-Gibson-electrics". :winkin:  As for me, I played a 70's J200, and was totally in love with it. Also a great SJ-300 with Madagascar B&S which was most impressive - I played it next to an M-38 Martin. I must add that the M-38 was brand new though, and the SJ-300 a more "opened-up" 2004 model.
I would just love to own an SJ200 Montana Gold (Custom) model though (one of only 2 Maple guitars that I like, the other being the Doyle Dykes-Signature Taylor.)
I also remember playing a Songwriter model - Sitka/Rosewood. That was one great guitar, and one of a few that ever impressed me.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

I didn't read through the entire thread, but I own a newer (2000) L-00, and I consider it an about average instrument... it wasn't terribly expensive, it's not terribly pretty, either!  I have a love/hate relationship with it, and it has been my primary instrument since I bought it.

It's funny, though.  Other people pick it up, and you'd think they'd have died and gone to guitar heaven!  Everyone says something like "I WISH I had a had a guitar like this!"  I just think to myself "Hmmm.. really?  Wanna buy it?"  It seems to sound better when others pick it than it does when I'm sitting behind it!

haha...  I guess that won't tip the scales either way!  I'm generally unimpressed by the new Gibsons hanging in shops.  Not a lot of personality off the wall.
Collings OM2 Custom (2010)
Gibson L-00 Reissue (circa 2000)
Yamaha FG-331 (80's)

http://www.workandworry.com = News and reviews of fingerstyle, acoustic guitar, folk, blues and beyond!

My Epi Masterbilt sounds better than any new Gibson acoustic I have ever played!
A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?

Quote from: Bltprf502 on December 27, 2008, 01:39:50 PM
My Epi Masterbilt sounds better than any new Gibson acoustic I have ever played!
Wow, that's some statement - which model have you got?
I played a couple of them as well, but unfortunately a couple of them had some form of "dry-damage" - I guess that particular consignment was shipped in the sun or something. I liked the Hog AJ-models, and the Cedar/Rosewood finger style model.

Yes, mine is the Advanced Jumbo w/ hog back and sides, sitka top and an awesome sunburst finish.  It is full and loud.  I played it up against my SCGC OM/PW which is also loud with a clear voice... The VJ was louder.  I don't like the fact its made in China, but I have been pleasantly suprised.  I use 12-54 strings and it sings.  I put it up above any Guild GAD I have played to date which is more of an honest comparison.  I like old Gibson's but the new ons are so tight and take so much to open up.  I'm not that patient.  They did a real good job on the Masterbilt's trying to remake the old 40's-50's Epi's.  I know Epi has had some QC issues with some batches of these.  Mine is stamped a USED second.  I have looked high and low and found nothing wrong.  My favorite dealer in Nashville says they get a flux of 1st quality ones and will stamp them USED as seconds.  I really like how they do their sunbursts....Which are now discontinued for 2009!
A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?

I've had the Songwriter for a couple months now and I've tweaked it a bit. I had the action set a bit too low at the outset. However, I ordered a new bone saddle along with some bone pins with abalone inlays from Bob Colosi (ordered a new bone saddle for my Larrivee too). I lowered the new bone saddle myself to where, I think, it is now perfect.

I have to agree with Tuffy when she says Larrivee is the better quality fit 'n finish. My L05 is flawless. Since I've examined every inch of the Songwriter now, there are some quality flaws that would have never seen the light of day if this were a Larrivee. There is a finish flaw which is very noticeable on the upper bass side near the neck joint. There are also some finish imperfections where the finish seems to be uneven.  I discovered these shortly after getting the guitar home, but reasoned that because of the unevenness of Gibsons, I might not get a replacement that sounded this good. So I decided to overlook the flaws. I had a $100 discount on it anyway.

I still love this guitar! I still play the L05 though! Two beautiful guitars, two completely different personalities.

2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

I know this is an old topic but thought I'd chime in a bit. I've owned a D03E and OM10 Larrivee. Both were good. The Gibson is something different. Folks that want to say that it's not the 03 or 10 are missing the point. It's a completely different guitar. Like the SG compared to Strat. I loved my D03 for many years... but my J45 does some things the D03 can't and I really love the J45.... ghasp even more so. Sure you need to play the Gibby's in store... but (sorry fanboys) I've played some Larrivees in shops that didn't sound great. You never know what's going on. I thin the Gibby's suffer from being strung with lighter Gibson strings... they may have sat a while in the shop. Almost all that I've played will be great after a restring to heavier gauge strings and some playing time to open up the tight top. Mine continues to get deeper and more resonant the more I play.

The D03 I had peaked early and really didn't develop much past that point. It was a great sound for  the money. But pushed further it started breaking up. I thin Larrivees are wonderf at the new acoustic sound... great for worship, live playing, etc (I'm talking production runs).... but to me there's still room for others to fill some missing gaps if you play in other styles or want a different sound.

Obviously this is a forum for Larrivee lovers and I thin anyone who reads this forum should take advice with that in mind. There's nothing wrong with passion for the brand... but the J45 is no slouch. Get them out of the GC's and other places where they've lanquished... give them a proper restring and setup and play them for a bit before passing judgement... they have something real to offer acoustic players... or Gibson wouldn't still be making them.

The Gibsons off the shelf that I played last were not so great. Especially the J-45 vintage was not impressing me at all. The Chinese made Epiphones sounded better. This was in a small shop, not a G.C.
   I'm a Gibson owner and my first really good guitar was a Gibson in the early 70's but I do think they are hit and miss now. A Nick Lucas model I played several months ago in my living room sounded "dull". When I played my Larivee and Martin they "rang" in comparison. Even my lowly Gibson B-25 (1966 model) sounded better than this fairly recent Nick Lucas. I don't know what's going on with them, but my experience has not been that it's just strings or time.
    It's more like "Hit or Miss". They will always be one of my favorites, but I highly doubt I'll ever buy a new one.

Quote from: es-335 on June 13, 2008, 01:04:26 AM
I think they are amazing!!

Ya,  I love larrivee!! but MAN!!, their J200, J45 and Hummingbird are just FANTASTIC..

So, today, I ended up ordering a J45....

I was thinking of J45 RW, but I think J45 is all about HOG...

I hope, I've made a right choice...

But what do you guys think about gibson acoustics?

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. What it comes down to is you either like the Gibson sound or you don't. I don't.

The only Gibson guitar I have owned was a late 60s blueridge (kind of a martin competitor) with spruce top and rosewood back and side with the usual maple veneer for show.  It sounded pretty damn good.  It had a deep growly sound that was perfect for blues and lead work.  It didn't have the punch for rhythm but had a unique and beautiful voice.  I sold it to get my OM03R which suits me better but I still miss that Gibson tone when playing lead.

Our local Long and McQuade has a few Gibbies and I have to say the J45's sound soooo nicce, not better than the Larrys but different.  It seems you either love or hate the Gibson tone.  I love it.  Having said that I have yet to play a hummingbird that I like.  They don't realy sparkle.

My A9 mandolin however is one of the best sounding mandos I have every played.

Gibsons are a great make although they lack the fit and finish of Larrivees. Now anything Gibson from the 70s back are a different breed altogether; very, very fine instuments... the Larrivees of their day if you like. : :nice guitar:
1963 Pre-CBS Fender Stratocaster (Blonde Beauty)
1972 Guild D-55 (Martin Killer)
2008 OM-60 S/H Larrivee (Finger Pickin Good)

Guess you guys are lucky. I have had some lackluster off the shelf Larrivees too. Not many, but have had them. Not like Taylors which to me have been the least appealing guitars in stores... I don't think I've ever played one worth what someone was asking, ever.

The other thing not mentioned in threads like this is reliability. It seemed like everyone in my old church played Larrivees if they played guitar. Every single person had a crack at some point. Always got repaired for free as most were recording and promoting them as well, but all of them had it. There was a guy with a beautiful Larrivee (can't remember model #) and it was so sad seeing it happen. Don't know if it was just our part of Texas, but I know I was careful with mine.

Anyways, not saying that to start anything. I'm a Larry lover, but there's positives and draw backs to every builder today (except Collings, I think they're perfect save the price :) ). I think in general though Gibson gets a bad rap for some things they don't deserve... there's more of them going out to crappier stores that don't do the strings right, have them in weird rooms, etc. For instance I've seen them sold in stores in Thailand where there's crazy high humidity and set up still like they came from US.

I think in general they're trending back up as a company though. I don't like their policies to vendors, but appreciate they're trying to move more towards the roots that gave them the name they have. Just wish they'd move a bit quicker (they do have their mandos back in line though).

I think it's 11 Larivees I've owned now. None have had cracks. I do keep them properly humidified though.
And I am "deep in the heart of Tejas" :winkin:

I know a guy with 3 Gibsons. He obviously loves them. His main instrument? Pedal Steel in a country-western band.

Like any guitar manufacturer, there can be inconsistencies but my vote goes to the one with the fewest. Granted, when Gibson was in Kalamazoo, MI and Lloyd Loar was their designer they were really cranking out some nice guitars. But then they found out about "business" and it seemed to trump "art". I don't dislike the instrument (haven't played one since I got rid of my F25 when I bought a Martin D18) but I sure as heck don't approve of their heavy handed business tactics.

Oh, and what about the recent Brazilian Rosewood controversy; did that ever get resolved?

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)