Pages: 1 ... 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you guys think about Gibsons(acoustic)?  (Read 14671 times)
Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2010, 07:38:48 PM »

Guess you guys are lucky. I have had some lackluster off the shelf Larrivees too. Not many, but have had them. Not like Taylors which to me have been the least appealing guitars in stores... I don't think I've ever played one worth what someone was asking, ever.

The other thing not mentioned in threads like this is reliability. It seemed like everyone in my old church played Larrivees if they played guitar. Every single person had a crack at some point. Always got repaired for free as most were recording and promoting them as well, but all of them had it. There was a guy with a beautiful Larrivee (can't remember model #) and it was so sad seeing it happen. Don't know if it was just our part of Texas, but I know I was careful with mine.

Anyways, not saying that to start anything. I'm a Larry lover, but there's positives and draw backs to every builder today (except Collings, I think they're perfect save the price :) ). I think in general though Gibson gets a bad rap for some things they don't deserve... there's more of them going out to crappier stores that don't do the strings right, have them in weird rooms, etc. For instance I've seen them sold in stores in Thailand where there's crazy high humidity and set up still like they came from US.

I think in general they're trending back up as a company though. I don't like their policies to vendors, but appreciate they're trying to move more towards the roots that gave them the name they have. Just wish they'd move a bit quicker (they do have their mandos back in line though).

WOW! never played a Taylor worth "what someone was asking ever", and "everyone in my old church played Larrivees if they played guitar. Every single person had a crack at some point", plus "I think in general though Gibson gets a bad rap for some things they don't deserve... there's more of them going out to crappier stores that don't do the strings right, have them in weird rooms, etc.", You've had your share of bad experiences that's for sure. Oh, "except Collings, I think they're perfect save the price", I sure hope you bought one of those, or at least found a shop outside of Thailand and landed one of those Gibbys. Everone deserves a shot of luck once in a while. Fortunately I have had phenomenal luck with all of those brands, except a Collings that developed a lifted bridge and stem to stern crack (No I'm just kidding), but I do sincerely pray for some happier and better days for you.

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2010, 08:52:18 AM »

are you guys serious..!! i think SJ200 is the most amazing looking guitar!

+1 My favourite (looker) is the custom shop SJ-200 Montana Gold - just love that elaborate bling on the headstock and scratch plate.

The mysterious one I wish I could one day play is the Nick Lucas model.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2010, 12:12:38 PM »

My two favorite gibby's.
+1 My favourite (looker) is the custom shop SJ-200 Montana Gold - just love that elaborate bling on the headstock and scratch plate.

The mysterious one I wish I could one day play is the Nick Lucas model.

I would rather have the SJ in a plain look and made in Kalamazoo, though I have respect for the custom shop Montana Gibsons. The Nick Lucas in a deep body 13 fret is made by SCGC. That is one that gets great reviews.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2010, 12:47:32 PM »

I wonder if anyone has had the chance to compare the Nick Lucas reissue with the Santa Cruz H13.

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
mas music

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2010, 12:24:19 AM »

I appreciate the history and the look of Gibson's. Just today I played a few before responding to this post. I hoped to be blown away but the fact is I have never played a Gibson I wanted to own. The much less expensive laminated Martin that was next to it sounded so much better at just $600.00. Of course beauty is in the ear of the behearer (sick) but as for me I'm not a Gibson fan.

*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2010, 05:24:29 AM »

My two favorite gibby's.                I would rather have the SJ in a plain look and made in Kalamazoo, though I have respect for the custom shop Montana Gibsons. The Nick Lucas in a deep body 13 fret is made by SCGC. That is one that gets great reviews.

Yeah Danny, my affection for the H-13 is no sectret around here - always was. It is (like many SCGC models) Richard Hoover's replication of the famous and respected Gibbies.

Check out this 12 fret All Brazilian Nick Lucas: (yes, a Braz top as well!)

Story and more shots here:
http://www.gruhn.com/features/lucasrw/AG5124.html

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2010, 05:28:27 AM »

Another respected builder with a 13-fret Nick Lucas mode is Marc Beneteau:

http://www.dreamguitars.com/preowned/beneteau/beneteau_nick_lucas_180108/beneteau_nick_lucas_180108.php

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2010, 05:51:31 AM »

Quality of build to me seems much higher on the Larrivee, and they are certainly more consistent. You can order a Larrivee over the internet and rest easy that your guitar is going to be amazing.

+1 That is exactly my view - I bought two of my Larrivee's from a Dealer in CA in "good faith" and am most happy with both.
I won't do that with Gibson (based upon experience of a couple new ones I played locally). There are awesome Gibbies out there though, and well worth searching (and playing) for.

pcypert

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2010, 11:13:13 AM »

It might have been a particular run of years for Larrivee? Don't know. And everyone from our group traveled too... but I'm not making this up, I didn't know a single one that didn't crack. It's a testament to the price and sound though that everyone still picked them even with all of them going down :D .

Also when I was shopping for acoustics the most, in my area a lot of players were "worship leaders" or folks after a more modern/amplified acoustic sound... something I really don't care for. And most of the Taylors I played seemed to be brought in for those players. So, I'll full on admit a bias there. I just don't like the sound. I have friends who play them and love them, and I like the way they sound on them, but I don't love it :)

Just got the final vote of approval on the J45. Girlfriend has been gone and in general I play in the daytime when she's not around, but she heard me playing last night and told me she liked the new sound. It was crisper and cleaner and had a sound she liked better. She wasn't happy with me getting it, so I knew it wasn't just trying to be nice with my new purchase :)

Still not saying all are good, but I know for a fact that even ones sounding "tight and weak" (my words) at stores can be changed around to resonant, beautiful machines... I'm still not convinced most stores do a proper setup of them (possibly Gibson dictates the strings and setup? I know they're punks with dealers). Anyways, I'm beating a dead horse here but now that I'm versed on what a J45 should sound like, I can say they definitely offer something to the guitar playing community.

And to the guy that had the saddle problem with the Collings... I'll take it off your hands :D

ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2010, 04:00:36 PM »

My favourite (looker) is the custom shop SJ-200 Montana Gold - just love that elaborate bling on the headstock and scratch plate.

If I could only find Rhinestone studded boots, pearl handled pistols and a 14 gallon wide brimmed hat to go with that.

(Just kidding...)

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: