What about these Chinese and Orient made guitars ?

Started by Tony Burns, June 12, 2008, 08:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

He's evidently stuck in a time warp and no one has the heart to tell him the world has passed him by. But I guess he humors himself at least.
Happily married to the woman of my dreams and looking forward to growing old together.<br />Truly,God has smiled upon this simple man.

I have found a number of the Cort Earth acoustics that are real nice. I use an Earth 200 (dread) as my headin' out to nature guitar. Solid top & back, and plays very nicely. I believe that Cort and Samick are the only actual manufacturers in Korea, making all the other brand names from that country. Just returned from a trip out in the country, and that Cort was popular. It sounds good.

There should be an unwritten rule on all guitar forums that the name E* R*m*n shall not be written, uttered, or otherwise communicated except in cases of extreme emergency.  It is the one name that has hijacked more threads than any other.

Quote from: Ratishna on June 23, 2008, 08:16:31 AM
There should be an unwritten rule on all guitar forums that the name E* R*m*n shall not be written, uttered, or otherwise communicated except in cases of extreme emergency.  It is the one name that has hijacked more threads than any other.
I know I'm gong against the spirit of your comment, but ..... just wanted to say, I've been to his Vegas store.   It's not as big as you are led to believe, it least it didn't impress me.  I didn't count guitars but, not REALLY that big. 

Quote from: el guitana on June 23, 2008, 05:26:02 AM
I have found a number of the Cort Earth acoustics that are real nice. I use an Earth 200 (dread) as my headin' out to nature guitar. Solid top & back, and plays very nicely. I believe that Cort and Samick are the only actual manufacturers in Korea, making all the other brand names from that country. Just returned from a trip out in the country, and that Cort was popular. It sounds good.

This is the golden age of guitars - lot's of good stuff out there.  saw some interesting ones today also.  the Tacoma road king - sounded and played decent, but it's made with a total lack of craftmanship - I kid you not.  I was expecting a 300 buck tag, but it was like a grand, no binding, purfling, rossette or any of that other stuff I cannot pronounce.  just as plain as plain can be. 

Some kid played a couple ibenez, sounded decent also.  the msc750nt was a most interesting guitar. 

I'm taking a week off so I'll be traveling and checking out some of these names. Thanks for the posts. I may come home with 3 more gits (don't tell my wife) :whistling:

I've noticed the imports often have a very thick finish noticeable on the top especially and I've often wondered if that was because it was used to cover up some imperfections.
Jeff B
Larrivee L-09 ebony; Martin D41, D16; Gibson J-50, Taylor 555

Quote from: el guitana on June 23, 2008, 05:26:02 AM
I believe that Cort and Samick are the only actual manufacturers in Korea, making all the other brand names from that country.

They may be the largest but they are not the only ones. Peerless, Unsung and Saein are three others that come to mind. They all make very good guitars.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Quote from: samcatlarr on June 24, 2008, 07:09:07 AM
I've noticed the imports often have a very thick finish noticeable on the top especially and I've often wondered if that was because it was used to cover up some imperfections.
Jeff B

I don't think so.  it's more about a quick drying (i.e. fast production) and cheap  (just happens that the technology that meets those criteria tend to produce a 'thicker' finish (as opposed to nitro (cellulose?)  - used by high end martins, gibson, and a lot of guilds (which is thinner but also more prone to finish cracks

Got my first Baden.....manufactured in Vietnam.......extraordinarily well made and great sound.
Taylor 424ce SL
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Rainsong OM
Composite Acoustics OX Raw ( Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Prestige Eclipse

have found a number of the Cort Earth acoustics that are real nice.

I have a Cort Earth 900 made in Korea that is quite a nice little finger picker . . . solid cedar top, solid mahogany back . . . 12 fret . . . for the price, it can't be beat (or couldn't be beat back when I purchased it anyway).
Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom

Quote from: Roman on June 27, 2008, 12:03:21 PM
have found a number of the Cort Earth acoustics that are real nice.

I have a Cort Earth 900 made in Korea that is quite a nice little finger picker . . . solid cedar top, solid mahogany back . . . 12 fret . . . for the price, it can't be beat (or couldn't be beat back when I purchased it anyway).
how do you like your lo-5  tks dave

Try a Stanford. Not your usual import. It already has that "played in" sound unlike most that sound "tight" or "boxy".
play4Him

( @ )===:::

Yesterday I bought a Japanese, Aria Acoustic OM. I needed a guitar to have sitting out in my office/music room. I couldn't believe the sound! Bright, crisp, projects well. Has solid spruce top, mahogany back and sides, no pickup. It really stands out in eye appeal; has nice rosette and inlay on head stock and interesting inlay on the rosewood neck. Think I'll put a bone nut and saddle on it and maybe a clear pick guard.

I actually traded in my Fender Malibu and only paid $48 for this. Had a $450 price tag.  :nana_guitar

:donut2 :coffee
'10 Taylor GS Mini
'10 Taylor Spring LTD Koa 12-Fret

played a couple of Breedlove Atlas series at Guitar Center,very nice!
Also the Epiphone Masterbuilt guitars were pretty nice.All wood, just built in Asia
Dave

I came "that close" to buying an Eastman for my first guitar, after playing my Son's Taylors for a year and the mandolin for 5 years.  I decided at the last minute to not do it, and got a Larrivee L-03 instead.  The Eastman mandolin I have is excellent, no problems and better than the other 2 I had.  I was happy to pay $700 for it instead of $1500 for a "perhaps similar" US made one like Weber or Gibson. 

What prevented me was A) there were VERY few reviews of their flatops.  And B) the worry that if I was unhappy with it or wanted to upgrade over time, I would take a big hit on resale.  Now the Eastman mandolins are very well regarded, and their factory is very modern, and the worker's seem happy and proud.  There are virtual tours on the internet.  But I just decided to go with a "known" North American make. 

I love the L-03, and the quality is pretty good.  A few sanding marks you can barely see under the semi-gloss (that's why they don't sand them better; semi-gloss hides it.  And the setup wasn't very good from the factory, so I had to spend more to get it right.  Basically if there was a dealer that carried a few Eastmans nearby, I would have been more inclined.  That Chinese factory is doing it right, from  what I read.....

GOA

Quote from: Carol on July 05, 2008, 02:03:33 PM
Yesterday I bought a Japanese, Aria Acoustic OM. I needed a guitar to have sitting out in my office/music room. I couldn't believe the sound! Bright, crisp, projects well. Has solid spruce top, mahogany back and sides, no pickup. It really stands out in eye appeal; has nice rosette and inlay on head stock and interesting inlay on the rosewood neck. Think I'll put a bone nut and saddle on it and maybe a clear pick guard.

I actually traded in my Fender Malibu and only paid $48 for this. Had a $450 price tag.  :nana_guitar

:donut2 :coffee

Hi Carol,

Would that be the ASP-130?

Just wondering if you knew what the width at the nut is for this one?

Cheers,
Greg
"I started out with nothin, and I still got most of it left"

Larrivee L0-3R
Yamaha beater
Aria 12 String
Fender Strat
Fender Tele
Jaydee GA24 Bass
Status Series II Bass

New member here. I just had to chime in on this one. I have 2 guitars made in China. See sig.
My Blueridge is an incredible instrument. Loud, clear, great sustain. Granted this is one of their higher end models but most of the Blueridge models have sounded great and showed clean workmanship. I also have a Hagstrom OM and same comments great sound clean workmanship. The hag is a no frills model but I am so impressed with this cedar top and it's sound.

My brother plays a Martin d-28 and a Taylor 2 series. Not sure which But I think it's 210 dread. The Taylor doesn't even come close to the Blueridge and I think The Blueridge  would give the Martin  a good run for the money. Actually I think I prefer the sound of the BR-1060 over his D-28. I think it is every bit as rich in the low end and has a bit more sparkle in the highs. Of course it could be my bias, or the fact that he uses Martin Lights and I prefer D'adarrio EJ-17 mediums.

I think it's good that these guitars are out there because they are increasing the quality available at all price points. Of course, buying American and loosing jobs to other countries is another issue for another day.

Thursday I'll be receiving my first American made guitar. The Larrivee LSV listed in my sig.
(jumped the gun a little on the sig)
At least I assume the LSV is American made.
I can't wait, but I still love my imports as well.

oz
Atlanta, GA.

Larrivee LSV-11
Blueridge BR-1060 Carter Stanley
Hagstrom O102S Cedar/Hog OM

omozom "At least I assume the LSV is American made."      YUP

Greg,

Yes it's a APS 130N.

Nut size is about 1 3/4"

:donut  :donut2
'10 Taylor GS Mini
'10 Taylor Spring LTD Koa 12-Fret