12 string

Started by docrach1, June 11, 2008, 10:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi guys,  Just got a Larrivee 12 string.  It's about 18 years old.  The L10-12 model of its day.  It has a beautiful sound but I have a few questions I'd like to throw out to you guys.  Do all twelve string guitars change tune when you just look at them?  This guy is awful touchy compared to my other guits (Larrivees and Martins)  Also, I am no stranger to playing (I am no Clapton either) but even though the action is fairly low my left hand tires pretty quickly on this baby.  Yes I know I am pressing on 2 strings instead of one but since my finger was doing the job anyway it suprises me. Last, any suggestions on a capo?  I use Kysers for the other guitars but have found that I can use them only by using 2 at a time.  It works, but looks kind of wierd.  Thanks for the help and have one on me.  :cheers :cheers   Les

I would guess your tuners are probably original Pings and should be changed out for better ones.

I use a G7th Capo on all my guitars, 12 strings included. One hand operation, no detuning at all.
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

Not sure what's going on with your 12 string ... my OM-03-12 stays in tune for months ~ no kidding ... and this is with the standard Pings that came with it.  Might get around to changing them out one day, but for the time being they work fine.  Did you just change the strings?  I find it takes a couple of days with a 12 string for the strings to settle down and not always having to fine tune.

You will definitely notice your left hand getting tired quicker than when you are playing a 6.  It just takes time for the muscles to build up and in no time it will be second nature.

Capo - I have a G7th regular 6 string capo that works well on the 12.  It might need a bit of adjusting when you put it on, but once it is set, it works well.  I'd like to get a Shubbs 12 string capo, or maybe some day an Elliott, but for now the G7th has work to do.

:gotpics: I'd love to see what your new old guitar looks like  :thumb

John

...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

I've found that the Shubb 12 string capo throws off the intonation a bit and that it's difficult to position it in such a spot that all the strings ring out well; the Keyser needed finessing into position also and actually left little indentations in the back of the neck on my Taylor 12.  I've heard good reviews on the G7th capo and will try one of those.  No matter how great your action, it requires more muscle to fret the 12's for any length of time; it will get easier with perseverance.
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

Thanks for the help.  Can't put up pics at this time but the guitar was shown in the forum onder the "for sale" heading.  Look for l-25 for sale.  Thanks again.  Les :nana_guitar

I have a D-09 12, stays in tune unbelievably well. There are many times I take it out of the case and play with no tuning. (I play folk music, so close is good enough  :bgrin:)
I have not had any issues with a capo I have a shub 12, and a planet waves, both work well. A little more care is required when putting the capo on as you need to get all the strings covered and evenly capoed down (don't over tighten the capo). You may have some set-up issues causing the intonation and tuning problems. If you have recently relocated the guitar (new climate) it might be acclimating. A quick trip to a guitar doctor might give you happy results.

When I first started playing the 12 I found my callouses to a while to reform to pusing two strings instaed of one.
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

I have no trouble with my LV-03 12 and unlike my first 12 string (Ovation Pacemaker) that I sold about 10 years ago no hand cramping or pain and I'm eligible for AARP now.

I string mine with D'Addario light gauge and tune down a step and it sounds unbelievable.