Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yikes! The back is separating on my Koa L09  (Read 4238 times)
gevans378

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2008, 01:47:11 AM »

I have a beautiful Koa L-09 with a two piece back that appears to be separating.  I keep the guitar is a humidity controlled room -- any suggestions?

On a spot quiz, my significant other was able to identify 57% of the instruments in my collection . . .
ark

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 04:32:19 AM »

If it was my guitar I'd email some pictures to Larrivee customer service along with an explanation of the situation, and see what they suggest.
Good luck,
Al
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 01:29:37 PM »

Hi gevans378.  Sorry to hear about your gutiar. If you bought it new take it back to the dealer where your purchased it.  Assuming it hasn't been abused, that is probably a warranteed repair.

If you are not the original owner, but got it from a legitimate dealer, contact (phone) them.  They should be your contact point with Larrivee.

For something this important do NOT use email.  There are too many legitimate reasons an email may not get through, including but not limited to: Full in-basket, size limitations, Spam blocker, anti virus software, etc.

Here are the addresses of both Larrivee factories.  Call your favorite directory service and get the number.

Jean Larrivee Guitars Ltd.
780 E. Cordova St.
Vancouver, BC
Canada
V6A 1M3
Email: info@larrivee.com

- or -

Jean Larrivee Guitars USA Inc.
1070 Yarnell Place
Oxnard, CA
USA 93033-2454
Email: info@larrivee.com

David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 04:57:54 AM »

Yes, yes. Anything important do verbally. Besides getting lost, e-mails conversations can just go sideways too easily.
They can't hear the charming tone in you're voice!

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 05:10:19 PM »

If you have time could you post a few pictures of this? Thanks, sorry to hear you have this problem on such a nice guitar. Danny

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
gevans378

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 11:22:13 PM »

Thanks for all the responses.  I took it to my favourite guitar guy and he thinks the back is becoming unglued at the seam.  He seemed to think Koa was a difficult wood to glue.  He's firing it off to Larrivee.

Love the guitar.  I've never had a problem with Larrivees and I have owned and continue to own several of them.

I'll let people know how it turns out.

(The split was so even I could not get it to show up in a picture).

On a spot quiz, my significant other was able to identify 57% of the instruments in my collection . . .
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 12:20:27 AM »

when you say 'humidity controlled' , what was the humidity kept at?

gevans378

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 01:06:47 PM »

Hi folks.

Thought I might give you an update on my L-09 K saga.  Guitar was shipped to Larrivee and I received an email that it could take five to six months before I get it back.  Evidently Jean is going to take a look at it himself, but it has already been three months since my guitar left my home.  Fairly disheartening.

In response to the last post, I keep my guitar room at between 45 and 50% humidity.

flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 02:01:30 PM »

That's a long time. What would somebody do if that was thier only guitar?

hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 02:06:27 PM »

Hi folks.

Thought I might give you an update on my L-09 K saga.  Guitar was shipped to Larrivee and I received an email that it could take five to six months before I get it back.  Evidently Jean is going to take a look at it himself, but it has already been three months since my guitar left my home.  Fairly disheartening.

In response to the last post, I keep my guitar room at between 45 and 50% humidity.

Is this typical of turnaround time for Larrivee? I hope not.

L-03 Italian Spruce
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 07:27:10 PM »

Is this typical of turnaround time for Larrivee? I hope not.

The work and verification it fixed the issue might take that long. This isn't like replacing a bridge.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 09:00:47 PM »

The work and verification it fixed the issue might take that long. This isn't like replacing a bridge.

Cracks are not all that expensive to fix. I'd just take it in to someone local, get it done, and forget about it. I would not have the patience for that delay.   

L-03 Italian Spruce
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 09:28:19 PM »

Cracks are not all that expensive to fix. I'd just take it in to someone local, get it done, and forget about it. I would not have the patience for that delay.   
                    This is an expensive git, and I think it was the right thing to send it to Larrivee. I personally just am happy knowing they are going to take care of the problem. And they will.     Danny

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
L1D1

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 10:55:21 PM »

LOL    you can build a new guitar faster than that......I'm not impressed with that time frame.
The good news is you have factory warranty, the bad news is its at their pleasure. If I sound cynical its because I am. If the guitar has to wait for good old Jean himself then somethin is amiss. I guess the elves are incompetant. That "jean" story is a fabrication to placate you and stall. What happens when Jean retires......all warranty is void?
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 11:01:54 PM »

LOL    you can build a new guitar faster than that......I'm not impressed with that time frame.
The good news is you have factory warranty, the bad news is its at their pleasure. If I sound cynical its because I am. If the guitar has to wait for good old Jean himself then somethin is amiss. I guess the elves are incompetant. That "jean" story is a fabrication to placate you and stall. What happens when Jean retires......all warranty is void?
Have a 

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 12:33:02 AM »

Fixing a crack is not major surgery, and doesn't take more than a glance to decide on the issues involved. I mean, the 12th Fret has this fix listed at $75. Way to long for this to get resolved.

L-03 Italian Spruce
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 12:39:31 AM »

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 12:06:37 PM »

Yea this is an expensive guitar and that's part of the reason they should be quicker. It sounds like it's just seperated very little and shouldn't be more than glueing it and checking the braces. That could be done in a couple of hours easy. If there's more to it than that, they should give explanation.  That's seems to be another weak point from posts here about repairs. Lack of explanation. To me it's like taking a family member to the doctor. I'm not going to pretend I have the understanding of the doctor, but dang it, I want to know whats going on so I understand my family members condtion better. If they are so backed up on repair time, I think they should find at least a few folks to do authorized repairs in a few places throughout country.  Did they at least insure that it a warrenty repair? Yes some people have had great cust service but I don't think there's anyway to paint a warm fuzzy picture about waiting 6 months to get a crack fixed. What if you gig and that's your only guitar? You know unlike a lot of people on here, in the real world a lot of musicians, especially youger ones. Only have 1 guitar.  I say get it gear.

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 01:29:47 PM »

We don't know all the details, this isn't about "warm fuzzy" in my view. It is more about slamming Larrivee any time the posts are about a repair issue. I do agree about some Warranty repair sites elsewhere, but that's already the case, if the git was bought from a shop that has the ability to do such repars, as far as I know.
             The negative vibes that come out on these threads are why I personally feel like these issues are best resolved between the dealer, yourself and the company.
              There will always be "WHAT IFS" that can be brought up. But if you own a nice git, that means that much to you, why not communicate in every way possible with the dealer, reps, and company. In my case, I have no qualms about booking a flite to go to the factory and talk with folks eye to eye and get something done. I have said that for awhile. And that is what I did.
              If they mean that much to you then I think you would be willing to pay the price to assure that you are doing all you can to move things along.
              I've read in other posts that Martin and other companies take as long as 6 months to get a git back to someone. I really don't know if that is the case though.
              I just don't see a need to second guess all these issues when we really don't know the whole deal. We are reading posts, not looking at the git itself.
              OK no more from me.       Danny

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
hadden
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 02:04:50 PM »

We don't know all the details, this isn't about "warm fuzzy" in my view. It is more about slamming Larrivee any time the posts are about a repair issue. I do agree about some Warranty repair sites elsewhere, but that's already the case, if the git was bought from a shop that has the ability to do such repars, as far as I know.
             The negative vibes that come out on these threads are why I personally feel like these issues are best resolved between the dealer, yourself and the company.
              There will always be "WHAT IFS" that can be brought up. But if you own a nice git, that means that much to you, why not communicate in every way possible with the dealer, reps, and company. In my case, I have no qualms about booking a flite to go to the factory and talk with folks eye to eye and get something done. I have said that for awhile. And that is what I did.
              If they mean that much to you then I think you would be willing to pay the price to assure that you are doing all you can to move things along.
              I've read in other posts that Martin and other companies take as long as 6 months to get a git back to someone. I really don't know if that is the case though.
              I just don't see a need to second guess all these issues when we really don't know the whole deal. We are reading posts, not looking at the git itself.
              OK no more from me.       Danny

Last post for me on this -- I agree, we go around in circles without knowing all the information. I don't see why he can't expess frustration, or people make criticism based on what seems unreasonable -- if this site becomes a kind of infomercial it's not of much use. And don't you think booking a flite is bizarrely impractical for an issue such as this? Again, this is a simple inexpensive fix.

L-03 Italian Spruce
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: