Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When Covers Best Their Original  (Read 6312 times)
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2008, 04:29:35 PM »

Gillian Welch and Radiohead: two of my favorite acts.

Here's Ms. Welch doing a neat version of Radiohead's "Black Star" but any Radiohead song would be difficult to cover without  radically making it your own.

http://mog.com/prag10/blog_post/57199

If it sounds good, it is good.

christopherbranch

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2008, 01:42:04 AM »

Gillian Welch and Radiohead: two of my favorite acts.

Here's Ms. Welch doing a neat version of Radiohead's "Black Star" but any Radiohead song would be difficult to cover without  radically making it your own.

http://mog.com/prag10/blog_post/57199

cool version. one of my favorite RH songs. thanks for sharing. here's a good buddy of mine doing that song as well. check him out...
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b36CgdjSMxo

"All people dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their mind wake in the day to find that it was vanity.But the dreamer of the day are dangerous people. For they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2008, 01:42:15 AM »

R.E.M. cover of Editors' Munich

Very well done. 

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2008, 01:44:08 AM »

Not to mention their cover of "Superman", originally done by the Clique in the 1960s!

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
rockhound

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2008, 09:28:38 PM »

Led Zeppelin covers are notoriously unpopular - here's a couple which, IMHO, are really excellent:

The Rover/Achilles Last Stand/The Song Remains The Same - by Dream Theater
Thank You - by Lizz Wright

2007 Larrivée L-03R
2008 Tanglewood TW66
1992 Fenix D-90SR
2006 Fender American Telecaster
2007 Schecter C-1 Exotic Star (w/ Bare Knuckle Black Dog pups)
2003 Yamaha RGX420
omozom

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2008, 01:23:40 AM »

Wheels on fire by Dylan done by the Byrds. I shall be released by Dylan done by The Band
      Both of these songs seem like they were written for the Byrds and The Band. I can't think of these songs without hearing the Byrds and The Band.
I agree

Dylan actually wrote I shall be released with the Band for Richard Manuel to sing. It is definitely the definitive version.
I think I also like the Band's version of Wheels on Fire better than the Byrds. The song comes alive with that down home feeling only the Band delivered.

oz
Atlanta, GA.

Larrivee LSV-11
Blueridge BR-1060 Carter Stanley
Hagstrom O102S Cedar/Hog OM
omozom

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2008, 01:38:37 AM »

Since we are on the subject of covers, I have to mention Jennifer Warnes albumn Famous Blue Raincoat. An entire CD of covers of Leonard Cohen. This is hard to find these days, but if your a Cohen fan and you come across it be sure to pick it up . It is outstanding.

On the lighter side. How about Richard Thompson's cover of Brittany Spears "Oop's I Did It Again"?

oz
Atlanta, GA.

Larrivee LSV-11
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2008, 01:47:52 AM »

I agree

Dylan actually wrote I shall be released with the Band for Richard Manuel to sing. It is definitely the definitive version.
I think I also like the Band's version of Wheels on Fire better than the Byrds. The song comes alive with that down home feeling only the Band delivered.
              Yea but , that's Clarence White on lead Guitar in the Byrds version of Wheels on Fire and it definitely is a unique song for the Bryds as a result.  btw I liked it before I ever knew that it was Clarence White. It just makes it a little neater somehow.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2008, 02:38:57 AM »

I agree

Yea to me about every cover that the band did was my favorite version. Thier version of "when I paint my masterpiece" is one that really jumps out if it hasn't been mentioned. The accordian gives it that European sound.  Great live shows as well.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
timcw4

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2008, 02:42:48 AM »

Hi Drathbun,

Just to clear up any Dylan confusion (and no flames intended).  Dylan did one tour in 1975 with "whiteface" and it was the shite...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvBkbPEoeAI

The "soul sisters" didn't come along until 1986.  Dylan has stated felt he was washed up and needed all the help he could get.  Ironically,  one of the singers was his mother-in-law and one was his wife and baby momma! : )  (Wife in black & white,  in law in white shirt)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co_HCQFgBr0

The early 80's was primarily Gospel,  so not sure what tour you saw. 

But just to prove than even Bob can suck...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPdAOpq5x-o

BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2008, 09:21:35 AM »

Jimi Hendrix version of Hey Joe (by Billy Roberts??), and the Black Keys version of She Said, She Said by the Beatles get my votes.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
omozom

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2008, 03:09:05 PM »

Old Crow Medicine Show's cover of Dylan's Wagon Wheel
Still struggling to get OCMS version down on my guitar so I can do my own cover. 

Quote from flatlander

"Yea to me about every cover that the band did was my favorite version. Their version of "when I paint my masterpiece" is one that really jumps out if it hasn't been mentioned. The accordion gives it that European sound.  Great live shows as well."

Absolutely! I sometimes pull a CD out just to hear that one track. Levon in his book says Garth used to stay in the studio for hours after every one else had left working on bits to all the songs. They nick named him Honey Boy because he always work late sweetening up the tunes.

oz
Atlanta, GA.

Larrivee LSV-11
old folky

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2008, 11:09:46 AM »

Just stumbled on a cover of "If I Were a Carpenter" by Dan Folelberg on Youtube.   This was written by Tim Hardin and covered by many others.  This example is the best I've heard.  Dan's voice was (is) incredible.  I'm going to try to play this one as soon as I figure out the tuning---drop D or maybe even DADGAD. 

'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos
drmlabs

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2008, 01:58:40 PM »

Eva Cassidy's "fields of Gold" over Stings version..

Next would be anybody's version over Stings......

So Sorry Sting.....

+1  for Eva's version.  I loved Stings, but her's is unearthly.  Touched me more than any music I've heard this year.  Just amazing.

Larrivee LS-10 (sold)
Larrivee parlors - satin mahog. / FQMS Special Koa / FQMS Special Braz.
Everett Laurel Dread
Martin 000-28ECB (sold)
Kopp  419 cutaway
Kopp Betty Swing #1  (sold)
Kopp 000-18 style
wilblee

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2008, 01:24:56 PM »

Since we are on the subject of covers, I have to mention Jennifer Warnes albumn Famous Blue Raincoat. An entire CD of covers of Leonard Cohen. This is hard to find these days, but if your a Cohen fan and you come across it be sure to pick it up . It is outstanding.
+! on FBR.  Her duet with LC on "Joan of Arc" is 2 die 4.

Another good Dylan cover is Warren Zevon doing "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" knowin' that he was gonna die shortly.
As much as I love the Jefferson Airplane's original of "Comin' Back to Me", Rickie Lee Jones took that song to a whole new level.
And finally The Art of Noise/Tome Jones doing Prince's "Kiss"

How do you make God laugh?  Tell Him your plans.

dgrose

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2008, 08:14:16 PM »

What about the P.P. Arnold and Keith Hampshire versions????   whistling   

Keith Hampshire gets my vote.   

dg

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: