When Covers Best Their Original

Started by Malachi Irl, June 09, 2008, 06:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Woodbadger on June 11, 2008, 02:35:25 PM
I am afraid that I remember and prefer the Rod Stewart of th Faces days...not the Tony Bennett parody that he has re-invented himself as (he says...ducking...as the arrows begin to fly  :arrow)

:+1:

Alimony and palimony outflows are likely keeping a lot of artists "reinventing" themselves. A bloke's got to eat...
Ron

I agree. You don't see Tony doing CDs of Rod Stewart songs do ya? 

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

there's also some great covers done by Gov't Mule. songs like Skynyrd's Simple Man, Sabbath's War Pigs.  not necessarly better, but in some cases the jam goes on for 15 minutes.
Larrivee D-50 total sunburst
Larrivee D-03r
Gibson Custom Shop Advance Jumbo Gold
Gibson SG Classic
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull S6+GT
Art&Lutherie 12 String
Epiphone M-20 Mandolin
1960/61 Supro Lap Steel
Squier P-Bass

I liked Buckley's version of Halleujah too, but my favorite remains John Cale's. Speaking of Cale, I also love his version of Heartbreak Hotel.
If it sounds good, it is good.

Quote from: bearsville0 on June 11, 2008, 07:44:33 PM
I liked Buckley's version of Halleujah too, but my favorite remains John Cale's. Speaking of Cale, I also love his version of Heartbreak Hotel.
I can actually say we agree on something, John Cale Hallelujah. Danny

Quote from: dependan on June 11, 2008, 09:06:22 PM
   I can actually say we agree on something, John Cale Hallelujah. Danny

Who can disagree with John Cale?

and, we like our Larrivee's don't we?

At the risk of being hit by flying objects, I really like many of the covers by Linda Ronstadt:

You're No Good, You Don't Matter Anymore, When Will I Be Loved, That'll Be The Day, Hey Mister, Blue Bayou, etc.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Quote from: dbirchett on June 13, 2008, 12:59:05 AM
At the risk of being hit by flying objects, I really like many of the covers by Linda Ronstadt:

You're No Good, You Don't Matter Anymore, When Will I Be Loved, That'll Be The Day, Hey Mister, Blue Bayou, etc.

:+1: :+1: :+1: La Linda...be still my heart!
Ian (in Cedar Creek, TX)
1974 Eko Ranger VI
2002 Larrivee LV10E
2007 McIlroy A25C

"When you're tired, and can't do anything, don't do anything. And while you're not doing anything, practice" - Robert Fripp

let me throw one out there, a little different than some of the others mentioned. "Smooth Criminal" by Michael Jackson, covered by Alien Ant Farm. simply amazing cover, especially given the style differences.

i love Sinead  O'Connor's version of "Nothing Compares 2 U", originally by Prince

Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt" by Trent Reznor is just awesome...
"All people dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their mind wake in the day to find that it was vanity.But the dreamer of the day are dangerous people. For they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence

Eva Cassidy's "fields of Gold" over Stings version..

Next would be anybody's version over Stings......

So Sorry Sting..... :humour:
2006 Larrivee l-05
1972 Yamaha fg-160
Kaycee Loves Donuts!

Quote from: jimmy buffett on June 16, 2008, 07:37:00 AM
...and his cover of "One" is unbeatable!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQBrn6trEwI

jimmy
I enjoyed that, The guitar is so clean and Mr. Cash brings in a different feeling alltogether.

Speaking of Johnny Cash, I really like this version of "Ring of Fire" by Ray Charles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhGZdSkX6IM&feature=related

Tom Petty said that after Johnny Cash recorded "I won't back down" It was like he had written it for Johnny.

Quote from: dbirchett on June 13, 2008, 12:59:05 AM

Don't be forgettin' Poor Poor Pitiful Me and Tumbling Dice.....

OTOH...have you seen her lately...wha'happened :yak:

I'll never forget the first time I ever heard Simon & Garfunkle's "America" as recorded by Yes.

Years ago, a buddy and I were a bit high and kicking back on the recliners. It was about 2:30am when this song came on the radio. I went out and bought the record the very next day. Could be my favorite cover song ever.
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3

:thumbsup How about the Stones doing Ant to proud to beg Great bluesy triad tune Keith's signature sound. And one of those song that Mick's so-so voice sounds great for. Or maybe you have another Stones cover from the Early years you remember. Unlike Led Zeppelin they gave credit to the old blues and R&B players that inspired them

Shawn Colvin's rendition of Every Little Thing (S)he Does is Magic - Police.
Larrivee L03R

Quote from: gluve1 on June 20, 2008, 08:42:11 PM
:thumbsup How about the Stones doing Ant to proud to beg Great bluesy triad tune Keith's signature sound. And one of those song that Mick's so-so voice sounds great for. Or maybe you have another Stones cover from the Early years you remember. Unlike Led Zeppelin they gave credit to the old blues and R&B players that inspired them

Great Stones covers:
Buddy Holly's Not Fade Away
Solomon Burke's That's How Strong My Love Is
Chuck Berry's Carol/Around and Around/You Can't Catch Me
Jerry Ragovy's Time is On My Side
Bob and Earl's Harlem Shuffle

Another recent one that comes to mind - Eddie Vedder's version of "Big Hard Sun" - originally by Indio.
Ian (in Cedar Creek, TX)
1974 Eko Ranger VI
2002 Larrivee LV10E
2007 McIlroy A25C

"When you're tired, and can't do anything, don't do anything. And while you're not doing anything, practice" - Robert Fripp