Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When Covers Best Their Original  (Read 6032 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2008, 02:05:15 PM »

Yeah but after his cringingly bad cover of J. Frank Wildon's Last Kiss, how can he even leave the house. Wasn't the original bad enough? Who really needed a really badly sung cover of a terrible song? Perhaps it was supposed to be ironic. If that's the case, he should get together with Alanis.     
gluve1

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2008, 02:17:59 PM »

ducktrapper knows his Stones. They really are the greatest rock & roll band in the world 
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2008, 04:24:34 PM »

OTOH...have you seen her lately...wha'happened yak

I have thought the same thing. Then I look in the mirror and ... I understand!

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
christopherbranch

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2008, 01:44:45 PM »

anybody heard ray lamontagne's version of "crazy" by gnarls barkley? unreal, sounds like its his song...

"All people dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their mind wake in the day to find that it was vanity.But the dreamer of the day are dangerous people. For they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
Ponte

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2008, 04:11:16 PM »

Steve Ray Vaughn on Hendrix`s Little Wing
Wow. About every sound you can get out of a Strat
About every mood you can trasmit out of an electric guitar
 bowdown

"Guitars can seriously damage your health"

1977 American Fender Strat
2005 Larrivée L-05
2004 Amalio Burguet 3F flamenco spanish guitar
Many various other guitars gone,  ...hopefully to a good home.

http://guit-ar.com. Guitar drawings and artwork by Juan Ponte
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2008, 04:33:33 PM »

Steve Ray Vaughn on Hendrix`s Little Wing
Wow. About every sound you can get out of a Strat
About every mood you can trasmit out of an electric guitar
 bowdown

Yeah, I get chills just thinking of that tune...SRV...like Hendrix, gone too soon

Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2008, 04:45:30 PM »

favorite cover:
David Bowie & Mick Jagger "Dancing in the Street"
NotRevGDavis

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2008, 10:07:48 PM »

I couldn't really think of anything that hasn't been mentioned but as far as equivalent I think the Stones did a great job on Rev. Robert Wilkins "Prodigal Son". Another is The Killers version of Joy Divisions "Shadowplay" on the "Control" soundtrack.

Trent Reznor said that Johnny Cash made "Hurt" his own.

The Dude abides.

Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2008, 10:53:11 PM »

I liked Buckley's version of Halleujah too, but my favorite remains John Cale's. Speaking of Cale, I also love his version of Heartbreak Hotel.

I've just been through the 2008 Humber Summer Songwriting Workshop in Toronto (fantastic, by the way), so I've been thinking a lot about songwriting this week, and "Hallelujah" was one song I thought about a fair bit.  I think Jeff Buckley's version is transcendent.  But what's fascinating to me is the process by which you get to Buckley's version.  Leonard Cohen wrote the song, but I don't find his version all that interesting (much as I normally love him).  Then, John Cale comes along and gives the song a really interesting re-arrangement.  Then, Jeff Buckley comes along and takes that arrangement to the pinnacle, doing so with nothing but voice and one guitar.

I don't think Jeff's version can be topped.  (Sorry, k.d. lang fans.)  But the funny thing is that he couldn't have done it without Cohen (obviously) and John Cale.

Another song where the cover far outpaces the original: Harry Nilsson doing Badfinger's "Without You".

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2008, 03:39:45 AM »

I've just been through the 2008 Humber Summer Songwriting Workshop in Toronto (fantastic, by the way), so I've been thinking a lot about songwriting this week, and "Hallelujah" was one song I thought about a fair bit.  I think Jeff Buckley's version is transcendent.  But what's fascinating to me is the process by which you get to Buckley's version.  Leonard Cohen wrote the song, but I don't find his version all that interesting (much as I normally love him).  Then, John Cale comes along and gives the song a really interesting re-arrangement.  Then, Jeff Buckley comes along and takes that arrangement to the pinnacle, doing so with nothing but voice and one guitar.

I don't think Jeff's version can be topped.  (Sorry, k.d. lang fans.)  But the funny thing is that he couldn't have done it without Cohen (obviously) and John Cale.

You make a good case for Buckley even though I remain spellbound by Cale's sincerity , warmth and compassion.

If it sounds good, it is good.

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2008, 03:58:25 AM »

Hallelujah... I like all three.  Each has the flavor of the man and his relationship with God,music, other men, and women of course and how they feel about living in their own skin. But Cohen is "the man" who was able to open that fountain up first. Still Cale is the easiest on my ears.   ...in search of the secret chord... have a donut

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2008, 05:06:35 AM »

Anyone ever heard Willie Nelson's version of Hallelujah?  I think Willie should have skipped it.  Also, there's a great indie singer/songwriter named Kevin Max who does an amazing version.  Sometimes he has it rolling around on his myspace page.  His is probably my favorite. 
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2008, 05:11:38 AM »

Anyone ever heard Willie Nelson's version of Hallelujah?  I think Willie should have skipped it.  Also, there's a great indie singer/songwriter named Kevin Max who does an amazing version.  Sometimes he has it rolling around on his myspace page.  His is probably my favorite. 
  I never knew Willie did a version, I guess he's playin Trigger, That alone would be worth hearing to me.
    What does "indie" singer mean? Danny

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2008, 07:31:54 AM »

I never knew Willie did a version, I guess he's playin Trigger, That alone would be worth hearing to me.
    What does "indie" singer mean? Danny
Willie's version is on his Ryan Adams-produced (and recent) record Songbird.  It's not "bad", but it really didn't move me like many of Willie's other songs and versions of songs. 

"Indie" means indepedent.  Kevin Max has a record deal, but it's nothing major like the folks you hear on radio.  He used to be in the group dcTalk, which had many hits, but he's chosen a less-traveled road and is pretty much doing his own thing now-a-days. He's worth a listen. 
drathbun
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2008, 05:27:47 PM »

Gotcha.   In that case I totally agree with your assessment.   No doubt that the version most people are familiar with is the Santana hit. 

Here's a puzzler for you:   Who do you think did the "best" version of "First Cut Is The Deepest" ?

Was it the writer,  Cat Stevens,  the first major cover artist, Rod Stewart, or more recently Sheryl Crow ????

Tuffythepug

Since no one answered it... I will with my 1000th post....

You forgot the FIRST cover of this song that was on the charts in the '70's... Keith Hampshire's version is the one I remember hearing before I knew it was a Cat Stevens song.

I like Nazareth's version of Joni Mitchell's "This Flight Tonight".

Isn't it amazing how almost ALL of Dylan's songs are covered in superior versions? "My Back Pages" by The Byrds is in every way an improvement on the original.

2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2008, 07:46:24 PM »

Isn't it amazing how almost ALL of Dylan's songs are covered in superior versions? "My Back Pages" by The Byrds is in every way an improvement on the original.

On the other hand, the Byrds' late-period cover of "Lay Lady Lay" is putrid, especially in the mix with the faux-gospel choir.

I think "Lay Lady Lay" can't be improved upon in any case, but this version is especially awful -- and I normally really love late-period Byrds (the Clarence White era).

D-03RE
D-03-12

drathbun
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2008, 07:54:09 PM »

On the other hand, the Byrds' late-period cover of "Lay Lady Lay" is putrid, especially in the mix with the faux-gospel choir.

I think "Lay Lady Lay" can't be improved upon in any case, but this version is especially awful -- and I normally really love late-period Byrds (the Clarence White era).

But that's because Dylan actually SINGS in Lay Lady Lay. I saw Dylan live in Toronto in the early '80's (white face clown makeup and soul-sister backup singers) and the performance was awful. If you're a poet and can't sing, AT LEAST ENUNCIATE so we can hear the words! I mean, Leonard Cohen is a brilliant poet who can't really sing, but at least he has clarity in his diction.

I see that Tom Petty, in his reverence of Dylan, has gone down the same road to mumbling incoherence.

2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2008, 04:05:10 AM »

But Tom Petty puts on an amazing show.  I've seen him three times in the past decade (the last time about six weeks ago) and he just keeps getting better.

D-03RE
D-03-12

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2008, 04:23:28 AM »

But that's because Dylan actually SINGS in Lay Lady Lay. I saw Dylan live in Toronto in the early '80's (white face clown makeup and soul-sister backup singers) and the performance was awful. If you're a poet and can't sing, AT LEAST ENUNCIATE so we can hear the words! I mean, Leonard Cohen is a brilliant poet who can't really sing, but at least he has clarity in his diction.

I see that Tom Petty, in his reverence of Dylan, has gone down the same road to mumbling incoherence.
  I like the Byrds a lot. The "BYRDS PLAY DYLAN" was the best cover album I can think of. But Lay lady lay can't be done again for some reason. It's kinda like Whiter shade of pale or sittin on the dock of the bay. Personaly I only think of Procul Harem and Otis Redding.

I liked Leonard Cohens "singing"btw   Too much whiskey and cigs though for it too hold up. Tom Waits too, sometimes.

dgrose

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2008, 02:06:45 PM »

You forgot the FIRST cover of this song that was on the charts in the '70's... Keith Hampshire's version is the one I remember hearing before I knew it was a Cat Stevens song.
Me, too. Keith had a very unique voice - instantly recognizable.

I like Nazareth's version of Joni Mitchell's "This Flight Tonight".
a great rendition of a terrific song.
Speaking of Joni, Matthew's Southern Comfort did a good job covering "Woodstock", but I think CSNY's version is so remarkably different that it is almost a completely new song.

dg

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: