Larrivee = Taylor's little sister?

Started by soonersteamroll, June 06, 2008, 09:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wait...doesn't God play a Taylor?   :tongue:

'I own both, and I don't use my taylors they are now gathering dust in my Guitar closet as I only use my Larrivee

Quote from: DavidRayReed on June 10, 2008, 06:07:51 PM
'I own both, and I don't use my taylors they are now gathering dust in my Guitar closet as I only use my Larrivee
Send those dusty Taylors to me, I'll find some use for them :humour:

Quote from: the creature on June 10, 2008, 05:33:41 PM
Wait...doesn't God play a Taylor?   :tongue:

She ... probably does. See? Chick guitar!  :laughin:

Speaking for myself, I used to have 2 Taylors and 4 Larrivee's. Now I only have 4 larrivee's

something about the taylor neck joint never seemed right to me.   I think they are nice guitars, but for the money Martins & Larrivées just blow them away.
Larrivee D-03R "Marie"
www.joereitzphoto.com

Quote from: limnephilidae on June 06, 2008, 10:12:00 AM
I live in a condo and we can hear a lot of things in people's unit's when we're in the hallway( :guitar). I've had a few musically inclined neighbors stop me in the hall and politely demand to be shown the Martin I was playing on.
:donut :donut2 :coffee

I once had a Martin D28GE  (it was basically an investment I could have fun with -except, craftmanship 'sucked' (I kid you not) and it sounded very harsh and hollow (with Martin SP strings on it)  I was glad to make a couple bucks and sell it (although I admit I goofed from an investment point of view)  What I'm leading to is this ------->   My D60BZ  BLOWS IT OUT OF THE FREEkING WATER!    it's got Bass, and it's got trebles like I've never heard - AND it's got the full midrange too.  plays like butter  with lights on it (12s)  I'm afraid to put mediums on it for the structural damage I may do to the house (its got volume) 

Tell me again why Martin's cost so much???? 

Quote from: AtlasHeating on June 06, 2008, 01:12:45 PM
I think people's perception comes from what they have seen and heard. If you go to Guitar Center, you will find lots of Taylors, Martins and a few Gibsons

not to mention TV - they are either playing Martins, Gibsons or Taylors --  Larrivee needs to give a couple guitars away to famous folks

"I once had a Martin D28GE  (it was basically an investment I could have fun with -except, craftmanship 'sucked' (I kid you not) and it sounded very harsh and hollow"

Sorry you had a bad experience with your Martin D-28GE because the list price in 2003 was $9,529 and the guitar featured Brazilian Rosewood and I can't imagine spending that kind of money on guitar where the craftsmanship was subpar . Since I don't have the budget to buy a signature model, Golden Era or custom model, both of my Martin's are standard models and I would stack them up against anything I have played for the money.

At the same time, the affordability(value), tone and playability of my two Larrivee's (an all mahogany 12 string and a flamed maple parlour) gave me the ability to buy my OM-35 for myself and an LXM Little Martin for my son. Two of my other son's buddies both bought Larrivees after playing them next to comparable Martins.

taylors little sister? more like a cousin.or older brother thats less popular.
kinday like the guy who beats the bragart and says nothing about it.
Modesty.someone that doesnt want much attention, but people notice if they
look hard enough,
I love my Larrivee.

hope that made sense.
dave

Larrivee Guitars are better.        There, it's said. End of discussion. :whistling:

One time many, many moons ago, (true story) I went to meet a girl that some friends told me was very nice and very nice looking. So I get there and she is really nice and let's just say...healthy looking. All as advertised. Only one little problem, right behind her was her little sister and when her eyes met mine it was over, so over that I didn't beat around the bush about it for a moment. I walked over to her and said hello and her older sister said something about "oh great" But the truth was apparent, so why waste time.
          She was the first love of my life. We are still friends though we don't write or anything.Wish I had a fairy tale ending for you, but all I have is a line from a song that I'm writing right now.
           "Shadows in the sky, still there between you and I" There's more but It's not fully cooked yet. I was fingerpickin a tune early one morning on my LSV and it came out. 3 or 4 verses. It was moving to have that happen. But I didn't write the words down and got busy and when I tried to remember and write it all later it wasn't the same.
           O.K. Now you tell me has a "Taylor" ever done that for you? :wink: Danny

depends if you like the "healthier" guitars, I s'pose...  But that's Gibson Jumbo territory there again...
Larrivee D-03R "Marie"
www.joereitzphoto.com

Quote from: jeremy3220 on June 06, 2008, 07:00:31 PM
Actually it's more time consuming to make a multi piece neck than a solid one. Many luthiers would argue just the opposite, that the one piece is the inferior neck. With a mutli piece neck you can elimante the short grain due to the headstock angle and make the neck more stable.

I don't think Taylor even uses that scarf joint anymore do they?

to be fair - when they lab tested necks, the one piece broke after 150 lb load - the taylor neck made it to 250 lb - but I still don't like em  :wacko:

I've played a few Taylors and liked them quite a bit, same with Martins and Gibsons (although the new Gibsons were the most inconsistent). Also played quite a few Larrivees and liked them even more.

I'm glad there's plenty of factories building all sorts of quality guitars with different specs/designs so that we have plenty of choices.
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3

Quote from: Novalis on June 17, 2008, 10:48:08 AM
I've played a few Taylors and liked them quite a bit,

btw, I meant I still don't like the spliced neck (not Taylors) - I've found a number of taylors that I liked - some are great guitars, and ol bob is great at marketing them.   Besides, Doyle Dykes doesn't play junk  :roll

Quote from: soonersteamroll on June 06, 2008, 12:17:38 PM
Yeah, I'm 22 and most of the people I'm referring to are 25 and under.... and many of them are praise and worship leaders who think Taylor is the only way to go.

And I COMPLETELY agree with you. I've grown up in the contemporary Christian environment and I started playing guitar about 6 years ago.... and I remember being prepped then with a 'Taylor-is-the-best' mindset... that was pretty much my goal all along-- 'til I got my Larrivee.

......The first solo worship leader I backed on electric from 1995-97 had a Larrivee D-10. Much stronger than the Taylors that most of the other Vineyard guys (Brian Doerksen's Olsen excepted) had. It strongly influenced me, along with the better lefty offerings. However, some itinerant leaders I've worked with like Bob Fitts use Taylors because they are ubiquitous and hold up well.

I know a fellow who is of the TAYLOR IS BEST mentality, and man it makes me sick. I just don't get it, He doesn't bring his guitar out when I take my Lv03 around for some reason...........
Cole Clark Fatlady FL1A
Larrivee LV-03
Martin DX1R :)
Webber gallatin Mandolin

Whats next?

my last lead guitarist (who was an absolute jerk) refused to love any other guitar but a Taylor. When I was shopping for a new guitar, he said "Taylor 310ce, there is no other"... I thought about it, and then heard Aaron Shust's Larrivee and fell in love.

The best lesson I've learned through my 6-7 years of playing is to trust thine own ears, not everyone else's.
- Southpaw Shredder -

Larrivee OM-03RE

Benford Custom Tele

Ernie Ball VP. Wilson Rippah Q Wah. Barber LTD. MXR 6-band EQ. MXR Carbon Copy. Empress Superdelay. Korg DT-10.

Peavey Classic 50 410. :thumb

Quote from: soonersteamroll on June 20, 2008, 04:13:16 PM
The best lesson I've learned through my 6-7 years of playing is to trust thine own ears, not everyone else's.

Where is the +∞ button?
Larrivee D-03R "Marie"
www.joereitzphoto.com

lol.... yeah, I would hope everyone would want to +infinity that one too....
- Southpaw Shredder -

Larrivee OM-03RE

Benford Custom Tele

Ernie Ball VP. Wilson Rippah Q Wah. Barber LTD. MXR 6-band EQ. MXR Carbon Copy. Empress Superdelay. Korg DT-10.

Peavey Classic 50 410. :thumb