Larrivee = Taylor's little sister?

Started by soonersteamroll, June 06, 2008, 09:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NO STINKIN' WAY!

It seems when I tell all my guitar-playing friends I just got a new Larrivee, their first or second question or response is, "Oh.... so it's not a Taylor."... or something like that. I guess they think my Larri's cheaper and was just a fallback instead of a Taylor.

Seriously, it's so flippin annoying. These people know nothing but 1 simple strumming pattern, power chords and playing in the key of G (suspended, of course). And I'm sure Taylors handle that stuff quite well, but Larrivee is just so much more diverse...

... some people are just ignorant.
- Southpaw Shredder -

Larrivee OM-03RE

Benford Custom Tele

Ernie Ball VP. Wilson Rippah Q Wah. Barber LTD. MXR 6-band EQ. MXR Carbon Copy. Empress Superdelay. Korg DT-10.

Peavey Classic 50 410. :thumb

I know.....and fifteen or twenty years ago they would have said "Oh, it's not a Martin?"
Just smile and offer to let them play your Larrivee  :nice guitar:

I have some great custom made hats done for me by a hatmaker with whom I have an endorsement....and unknowing people say "Oooooo...is that a Stetson?"    Stetson hats are the hat equivilant of Kodak cameras....brand name folks recognize....they don't make nice enough hats to please me....but then, my good taste also includes Larrivee guitars. :humour:
Larrivee LS-10 Custom "Jesse"
Larrivee 000-50 "Emma"
Larrivee 00-50 "Dublin"
Larrivee 00-60 "Rose"
Larrivee L-03 Koa "Hula"
Martin 5-18 ('57) "Tink"
Banjitar  "Plinky"
Baby Taylor "Lichious"
Taylor GC-5 E
Oscar Schmidt OU-5 concert uke "Abalone & Cheese"
Makai MT-70 tenor uke "Kimme"
Martin M3 Soprano Uke "LJ"
A couple non descript cl

Yeah, I get comments like that, too.  Just play and watch their eyebrows go up when they hear it.  Sometimes I just smile and shake my head.  It's kind of like dealing with a little child who's struggling with a difficut new concept.  Be patient.  They know not what they do. :winkin:

And of couse, for the hard-core martinites, I can honestly shug and say, "Yeah, I had a Martin once.  Sold it."   :bgrin:  It's so fun seeing the confusion on their face (Sold it? how can this be???)

David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

I live in a condo and we can hear a lot of things in people's unit's when we're in the hallway( :guitar). I've had a few musically inclined neighbors stop me in the hall and politely demand to be shown the Martin I was playing on. The first comment was "it's the richest sounding Martin I've ever heard". I just thank them and offer to bring them by and try it. When people realize it is a Larrivee D-60 MR they are pleasantly surprised. They had respect for the brand but most had never even tried one. Now one of my neighbors has been skulking around guitar shops looking at a D-60 or D-09. Another one went out and bought an OM model the next week.

I find most people are open-minded enough to get by the brand up here in Toronto. That is probably due to the fine selection of guitar dealers we have around this area.

:donut :donut2 :coffee
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

I get similar comments too. Living just a few miles from the Oxnard factory there are still many folks who have never heard of Larrivee.
I just tell people I had my Larrivee made by a shop in Oxnard.
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

Quote from: limnephilidae on June 06, 2008, 10:12:00 AM
I find most people are open-minded enough to get by the brand up here in Toronto. That is probably due to the fine selection of guitar dealers we have around this area.
That is certainly true.  Most folks just say it sounds great and ask what kind of guitar it is. My comments are directed at the few who have, shall we say, outdated and opinionated views.  I should have clarified that.

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Are they young? With young people it's starting to seem like Taylor is becoming the Harley Davidson or John Deere of guitars. It's annoying when brand images surpass the actual product; like the pink John Deere vanity plates on the front of cars I see driven by girls who look like they've never touched a tractor. All the people I see wearing Harley Davidson shirts,hats, etc, what's that suppose to say about them? They're one step away from wearing the same uniform. Things like that reach a point to where they are unnaturally popular - popular not because of the product but because the brand is 'in'.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on June 06, 2008, 10:44:05 AM
Are they young? With young people it's starting to seem like Taylor is becoming the Harley Davidson or John Deere of guitars. It's annoying when brand images surpass the actual product; like the pink John Deere vanity plates on the front of cars I see driven by girls who look like they've never touched a tractor. All the people I see wearing Harley Davidson shirts,hats, etc, what's that suppose to say about them? They're one step away from wearing the same uniform. Things like that reach a point to where they are unnaturally popular - popular not because of the product but because the brand is 'in'.
Yeah, I'm 22 and most of the people I'm referring to are 25 and under.... and many of them are praise and worship leaders who think Taylor is the only way to go.

And I COMPLETELY agree with you. I've grown up in the contemporary Christian environment and I started playing guitar about 6 years ago.... and I remember being prepped then with a 'Taylor-is-the-best' mindset... that was pretty much my goal all along-- 'til I got my Larrivee.

And the worst part is these peeps think they know everything about guitars; therefore, Taylor has the best action, the best tone, the best build, the best looks, the best pickups, the best everything. I mean, come on!!! Have they ever PLAYED another guitar?? I myself am Christian recording artist but after playing my Larrivee against Taylors, Gibsons, Martins, a Guild, a Takamine, and others, I've found they all have their unique tones and characteristics.... I'm trying to be creative and a little more diverse than the stereotype with my music and kinda get out of the norm. Part of that norm is Taylor. And I feel my OM Larrivee is one of the most diverse guitars on the market--fingerpicking, strumming, flatpicking... it can do it all exceptionally well.
- Southpaw Shredder -

Larrivee OM-03RE

Benford Custom Tele

Ernie Ball VP. Wilson Rippah Q Wah. Barber LTD. MXR 6-band EQ. MXR Carbon Copy. Empress Superdelay. Korg DT-10.

I think people's perception comes from what they have seen and heard. If you go to Guitar Center, you will find lots of Taylors, Martins and a few Gibsons (acoustic). No Larrivees! When their favorite guitar hero is up in front playing a Taylor, they feel that some of that talent will rub off on them if they could play the same guitar.
If you read anything written by Bob Taylor about their build or process or wood, you would know that you have found the perfect guitar.
I own 2 larrivees and 1 Martin ond 0 Taylors.
I do like the emphasis Taylor used on a good pickup system. Everybody else has caught up...

Quote from: AtlasHeating on June 06, 2008, 01:12:45 PM
I think people's perception comes from what they have seen and heard. If you go to Guitar Center, you will find lots of Taylors, Martins and a few Gibsons (acoustic). No Larrivees! When their favorite guitar hero is up in front playing a Taylor, they feel that some of that talent will rub off on them if they could play the same guitar.

Taylor's seem to have a foothold in the worship music genre, much the way Martin got the edge in bluegrass. Gibson had/has a great market share in country and of course rock with the Les Paul & SG. Obviously the guitar makers know that a celebrity sighting may sell instruments which is why there are sponsors and signature models.
I don't believe it serves any real purpose to be on a mission to cover ??? owners to Larrivee or any other brand. If someone likes my guitars sound I am happy to tell them about the guitar. Last night I was playing my Gibson and one of my band mates asked to play it, he fell in love and wanted to buy it. It happens to be a great playing instrument and the maple body sounds great plugged in. While I love my Larrivee's the Gibson is by the best electric acoustic I own and gives me the sound I am looking for.

I don't own any guitars I don't like the voice of. Whether they are best is all a personal taste.
I for one am grateful we have choices and that we don't all pick the same, it would be boring if we all sounded exactly the same plus there would be a shortage of guitars.
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

Yeah well, Taylor's are chick guitars. Tell 'em I said so and show 'em a pic of Taylor Swift with hers.   :laughin: 

It's funny, I've always perceived Taylors as being targeted towards affluent Baby Boomers. A lot of their ads from around 2002 onward seemed to feature middle-aged or older guys with a wife in the background. I bought two Big Baby Taylors (one for me, one for my wife) back in 2002 on the extremely strong recommendation of two co-workers, both in their mid-forties (and both very talented players). Unfortunately, I never really liked the Big Baby much. The good news is that selling the Taylor on consignment at a local dealer was what introduced me to my Larrivée OM-02, which in turn led to an L-03 SO...and who knows what's next!
2008 Larrivée L-03SO (Grevillea Robusta)
2008 Art & Lutherie Ami Almond
2000 Larrivée OM-02

Most of the players I know (closer to the age of 60 than 25) pretty much hold both brands as equal. I sold a Taylor 712 to buy my first Larrivee and might soon sell off one of of my Larrivees to purchase another Taylor.  IMHO, two different guitars entirely.

For those who think that the Taylor action is the best, you can tell them that the standard Larrivee neck is a much "faster" neck than the now standard NT Taylor neck. I just today did a neck A/B between the two brands. To my hand the Larrivee 1 3/4 neck is a much faster neck than the comparable Taylor neck. However, the older pre-NT Taylor neck was a dream.

Just my $ .02

Gary 
Taylor Custom GC all mahogany
Tayor 812c (1997)
Taylor 612c (1994)
Yamaha FG730S
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Samick Greg Bennett OM-08CE

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 06, 2008, 02:52:35 PM
Yeah well, Taylor's are chick guitars. Tell 'em I said so and show 'em a pic of Taylor Swift with hers.   :laughin: 

Does that mean Taylor players are supposed to caterwaller and squall instead of singing? :humour:
Larrivee LS-10 Custom "Jesse"
Larrivee 000-50 "Emma"
Larrivee 00-50 "Dublin"
Larrivee 00-60 "Rose"
Larrivee L-03 Koa "Hula"
Martin 5-18 ('57) "Tink"
Banjitar  "Plinky"
Baby Taylor "Lichious"
Taylor GC-5 E
Oscar Schmidt OU-5 concert uke "Abalone & Cheese"
Makai MT-70 tenor uke "Kimme"
Martin M3 Soprano Uke "LJ"
A couple non descript cl

Quote from: Yoyodyne on June 06, 2008, 03:37:05 PM
It's funny, I've always perceived Taylors as being targeted towards affluent Baby Boomers.

They may be but that doesn't change how young people regard them. A lot of people under 30 think they are the gold standard and if it's a youth pastor/music leader under 30 then it's just standard issue no questions asked.

Quote from: gary0319 on June 06, 2008, 03:55:22 PM

For those who think that the Taylor action is the best, you can tell them that the standard Larrivee neck is a much "faster" neck than the now standard NT Taylor neck. I just today did a neck A/B between the two brands. To my hand the Larrivee 1 3/4 neck is a much faster neck than the comparable Taylor neck.  

What's a fast neck?

All mine are immobile.

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 06, 2008, 02:52:35 PM
Taylor Swift's guitar is an abomination..... absolute heresy.

I mean, really, is it even playable? All that glitter just makes it look like something out of Star Wars.... And when I've seen her on TV playing it, it looks like she's just happy to be holding all that sparkle....

If my guitar was as ugly as her's, I'm sure I'd have teardrops on it, too, from crying over how stinkin' ugly it is.
- Southpaw Shredder -

Larrivee OM-03RE

Benford Custom Tele

I don't want to rag on Taylor's, because that's not what this forum is about, and it doesn't make Larrivee's better guitars just because we dump on Taylor.

Having said that, I still cannot get over the frankenstein joint at the headstock on Taylor necks...at that high pricepoint, I want a neck made from one piece of solid wood, a la Larrivees!!!  To me, Taylor has really cut a corner with that construction method.  Maybe Bob can prove it doesn't affect the tone at all, but to me, Taylor's really aren't about unplugged tone...at least, it's a tone that I've never been attracted to...JMHO.  
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I've been playing guitar since 1984. I discovered Larrivee guitars in 2005.

Larrivee is growing in popularity, but it's still a small brand compared to the big companies.
I used to be "edman" here......

I stopped taking my Larrivee to gigs because I end up playing Martins, Taylors and others. NOT MY LARRY!  Once they hear a Larry, they love the Larry.  OM-03RE is what I have and what a Guitar, I have made many friends with it.

:guitar :nana_guitar :cheers
Larrivee OM-03RE 2004
Larrivee Parlor O-R 2003
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Taylor T5z - Mahogany
Yamaha Acoustic SLG200

Quote from: Mikeymac on June 06, 2008, 05:20:37 PM
Having said that, I still cannot get over the frankenstein joint at the headstock on Taylor necks...at that high pricepoint, I want a neck made from one piece of solid wood, a la Larrivees!!! To me, Taylor has really cut a corner with that construction method.    

Actually it's more time consuming to make a multi piece neck than a solid one. Many luthiers would argue just the opposite, that the one piece is the inferior neck. With a mutli piece neck you can elimante the short grain due to the headstock angle and make the neck more stable.

I don't think Taylor even uses that scarf joint anymore do they?