12 string standanrd pitch

Started by woodboatguy, June 04, 2008, 10:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Received new D 09-12 and loving it! Looking through the posts here, seems that most 12 string owners tune down a whole or half step, but Larrivee seems to say that tuning to A440 is okay. I agree that the guitar sounds and plays it's best at A440, but of course I'm concerned about tension. I'm easy on my guitars, humidity controlled studio and they aren't played outside my home. What are the long term expectations if left tuned up to standard pitch?
Heritage H535
Ibanez AS 75
Tacoma DR9 Roadking
Larrivee D 09-12

I've had several Larrivee 12 strings,Tune it to pitch and have fun.Do get a good set up.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I bought my d-09 12 several years ago. I picked it up at the factory in Oxnard, back when they were doing that. Matthew assured me A440 was OK.
He said to use lights, the guitar truly has a great voice. To date I see no effects of string tension. I use either Elixr or D'adds EXP's, both sound great.
A few of my friends tune down and it is my opinion the sound is compromised. Matthew said the guiotar was designed for A440, if you reduce tension you reduce the tops movement as well.

Tune up and enjoy, don't forget you have a warranty too, and like UnclRob said get a set-up as soon as the guitar settles in a bit.
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

I had an OM 12-string for awhile. My husband has a Guild 12-string. Use light strings, and tune to pitch. You shouldn't have any problems. Enjoy that guitar!

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

Quote from: wyodeb on June 05, 2008, 03:16:31 PM
I had an OM 12-string for awhile. My husband has a Guild 12-string. Use light strings, and tune to pitch. You shouldn't have any problems. Enjoy that guitar!

Deb

I now have that guitar and keep it either tuned to pitch, or tuned down a whole step - makes bar chords a whole lot easier.  It also sounds great in DADGAD - experiment and have fun with it!

John
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/