Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seagull guitars wide necks!  (Read 1005 times)
DaveyO
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2008, 04:22:44 PM »

Anyone know why Seagull has such thick and wide necks,I think they make a great product , up there with larrivee for bang for the buck, but the necks are thick! I would love to have one but yet to try one that was comfy.
anyone know?
Dave
bhika
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 04:25:39 PM »

Anyone know why Seagull has such thick and wide necks,I think they make a great product , up there with larrivee for bang for the buck, but the necks are thick! I would love to have one but yet to try one that was comfy.
anyone know?
Dave

I had an A&L folk and felt the same way. I'm sure I'm probably wrong, but, maybe it has something to do with the wild cherry they use for the necks needs to be beefier to keep stable?

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29
Roman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 04:55:10 PM »

I think it's just their design . . . it seems to work for them because there are a lot of Seagulls out there!

Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom
rounder

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 06:18:29 PM »

I have an older S6 that has a mahogany neck, built before they went to maple.  It's wide and thick.  The move to maple was because of the scarcity and cost of mahogany.  I think they use mahogany necks on the artist series.

Although I have never seen one, I think they now make an S6 with a thinner profile neck.  So, you can get a fat or thin neck.  The nut on my S6 is 1.8 and now you can get one narrower.

The other option is Simon-Patrick.  They offer a more 'traditional' guitar.  (think Martin).  Very similar to Seagull.  Love the cedar-top, cherry b&s models.

el guitana
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 07:05:01 PM »

I think the Grand has a narrower neck. Maybe not the Artist Grand....
j

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 01:50:23 PM »

I believe the neck on an S6 is silverleaf maple, not cherry.

Seagull (and Art and Lutherie) does make a 1.72" nut on the "Slim" models. This is wider than the standard 1 11/16" but narrower than the 1.8" or 1.75". I saw one on a A&L AMI. Very comfortable for me. The neck is still thicker than a lot of guitars out there though.

John A.
Midland, TX

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her front and back over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.
rounder

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 07:25:47 PM »

Hey j,

You are absolutely correct.  The necks now are maple, not cherry.  I thought I said maple till I  re-read my post.

Thanks for the correction. blush   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: