Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Samick Hj 650 - Floating Bridge Thingy  (Read 2243 times)
WAFU Man

Ignore
« on: July 24, 2004, 04:07:58 PM »

Was wandering past a 'Pawn' Shop in Kuala Lumpur when an archtop Samick HJ 650 caught my eye. Cut a long story, after some negotiations it followed me home (for a v good price, honest):huh: !  Cleaned it up and put new strings on and it looks pretty cool sounds really mellow, that's before plugging it in.  (This is my first electric and I don't even have an amp).

Only problem is that it has a 'floating' wooden bridge/saddle thingy, and I'm pretty sure I haven't got it back in the right place after fitting the new strings - the intonation seems off as a result.

How do you set these things up? :(  

Larrivee OM-1
Seagull Grand
Samick HJ 650
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 04:34:00 PM »

Measure from the nut to the middle of the 12 fret.Then using that measurement place the bridge in that spot.Then hit a harmonic on the 12 fret then finger the same note rite on the fret this should sound the same.If it doesn't move the brigde until it does.By the way these are pretty good archtop guitars to wet your feet on.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
FNG
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 04:38:35 PM »

Very carefully.  I believe that you check the intonation, then move the bridge back to flat or forward to sharp.  Or the other way around I forget Not all that exact of a science.  Some folks will find the right spot, then tape the bridge down with two sided tape.  Not carpet tape, but a light adhesive two sided tape.  If the saddle is compensated, that should help also.  I have a Guild Starfire III with Bigsby and floating bridge, and not all that big of a fan of the floating bridge.  I replaced the stock bridge with a rosewood bridge with tune-o-matic from Stew Mac.  Easlier to set the intonation, but since it isn't the correct bridge, the action is a little higher.  

http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
WAFU Man

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 04:46:47 PM »

Thanks guys, cracked it!  Can't wait to plug this thing in.  What's the best type of amp for this type of guitar - would a decent acoustic one do the trick, or has it got to be an electric amp?

Larrivee OM-1
Seagull Grand
Samick HJ 650
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: