Koa Parlor Comparison?

Started by zizala, October 23, 2003, 04:29:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm on a roll, this is my second post.  No Larrivee yet but I'm shopping.

I'm thinking about one of these three parlors:

All koa.
spruce/koa
spruce/mahogany

Could someone please tell me how an all koa parlor might differ in sound from a koa with spruce top?

....and then spruce/koa vs spruce/mahogany?

Don't seem to be any to play in my area.
Also could use recommends for online dealers that deliver these at a decent price and in good shape.

Thank you.

All Koa - Very pretty
Koa/Sitka - Pretty
Mahogany/Sitka - Sounds best! ;)  

Rosewood/sitka - unappreciated

The guitars aren't necessarily consistent. For example, I've only played one sitka/mahogany parlor, which I thought sounded weak and anemic next to the walnut and rosewood versions. But other people love theirs, so perhaps there's a lot better examples of mahogany parlors out there than what I played.

I think walnut is great on the parlors. And my favorite that I've tried so far is a mahogany topped parlor. In fact, there's one in the mail for me now! I hope it's as good as the one I tried. Haven't tried an all koa.

I can't comment on the koa models - but I've had the opportunity to own a rosewood, a walnut and a sitka/mahogany parlor. I sold each to upgrade to higher end Larrivees. I recently purchased an all-mahogany parlor (the one JasonA referred to) - and am extremely pleased with it. I think it sounds better than any of the other parlor models I have owned or tried.

My Guitars:
Larrivee LV-03RE, OM-03MT, L-03WL
Northwood MJ-80
Paragon 00 (Makore)
Seagull 25th Anniv Mahog
Guild GAD-30R, GAD-30E
Epiphone AJ-500RC (12-Fret)
Walden G3030CE, G3000, G2070, N730, N550CE
Dean BW-6 Banjitar
Republic Single Cone, Tricone, Steel Parlor
Washburn R316SWRK Parlor
Walnut Banjo

Im speculating but I think all this disection of the Parlor and wood is a reflection of just how unique the model is. There really isnt any other guitars it compares to really. Does that sound right? I dont hear much about other guitars' wood. Or, is its wood-option list so unique?  

Well it seems that all the different parlors have their advocates.  Or these are so inconsistent that there is no way to predict what I might end up with no matter which wood it is made of.

I have to admit that I asked about Koa for the looks and mahogany because I tend to prefer mahogany to rosewood in larger guitars.  I was hoping that the koa might be similar to mahogany so I'd have a mahogany sounding guitar that looked like koa if you can understand!  So walnuts a good one too?  Geeze hadn't even thought of that....

Thanks for the help and comments but seems like I have to find a few of these to play.

Yep, everyone has their favorites. But if you're going with a spruce top, I think walnut is excellent. I A/Bed the one I used to own with my friend's rosewood parlor. The bottom end was similar, with the rosewood being a bit more lush and the walnut being more clear. I like the walnut better. Plus it looks nice even in satin! Check out this one at Guitar Adoptions:

Of course, as I said I like the all mahogany better, but it's a quite different sound than the spruce models.

I have not tried the Maple or Walnut Parlour yet. I settled on a Koa Special Edition, put in a bone saddle and ebony pins and removed the pickguard. Compared with the Rosewood, it is much brighter (as would be expected) and has a sizzle when fingerpicking that I love. Compared to Mahogany, it seems to have a slightly fuller sound to it (I haven't tried the all-Mahogany model, but I plan on it soon).

However, each Parour has an individual characteristic. I would not put much stock in opinions that say "I like the Mahogany (or Koa, or Walnut, or Rosewood) best. The best one is the one that sounds best to you after giving them all a try. And make sure the strings on all the ones you try are still fairly new.

Griff
Larrivée: LJ-10 Custom (Gryphon)
L-10-12 (Bell Tower)
Parlour Koa Special Edition (Sweet Baby)
Gibson: 1951 Southern Jumbo ('Tiger')

QuoteIm speculating but I think all this disection of the Parlor and wood is a reflection of just how unique the model is. There really isnt any other guitars it compares to really. Does that sound right? I dont hear much about other guitars' wood. Or, is its wood-option list so unique?
Nope, all guitars are like that. That's why they're called "tonewoods".

really?
I was thinking more like "tomewoods"?  :D

I thought this link might be of interest: http://www.bourgeoisguitars.com/tapping_tonewoods.htm