What strings do you use on your OM-03R?

Started by doctor_gogol, May 25, 2008, 03:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've had my OM-03R for about a year. I love it. Except for one problem: when strings get old on it, they get tighter and almost unplayable.

Pearse 80/20s seem like the best so far for this guitar. Martin 80/20s are inconsistent. Sometimes they are perfect, but the most recent set I've put on have so much tension that the guitar is almost unplayable.

What do you use?

I have the exact same guitar and I use John Pearse Lights.
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

I own a LV-03E - I have used Diaddario Phospher Bronze Lights for years...  They hold their tune, have enough flex, hold their bright tone, and sound good.

I know there are some who would disagree - but I know what I like.....  I'd try others if I didn't have a good consistent tone with what I presently.

Regards,

Russ          :guitar
06' Larrivee LV-03E
89' Fender Strat Custom Shop
85' Zion Electric
Carvin all tube vintage amps
And a lot of other junk!

I just got my OM-03R, and the stock strings actually sound REALLY good.... they're Cleartone lights. However, I personally love Elixir nanoweb lights, so when I get my new west african saddle and buffalo horn bridge pins in, I'm probably gonna put on a set of Elixirs.... they've always been the most reliable for me on my other acoustic.

But truthfully (and I know this is quickly becoming a very cliche answer), every guitar has a different soul and requires different strings. Unless, you've had work done on your OM-03R, it's still set up for lights, so that narrows your parameters a little bit..... so try others until you find what works for you. I love my Cleartones and Elixir lights (Elixir's more expensive of course, but they've always been awesome for me; I did have some trouble with the G-strings breaking occasionally, which sucks, but I had a crappy bridge saddle with some little dinks in the G-slot which most likely made my strings break easier....)

Try, try, and try some more!
- Southpaw Shredder -

Larrivee OM-03RE

Benford Custom Tele

Ernie Ball VP. Wilson Rippah Q Wah. Barber LTD. MXR 6-band EQ. MXR Carbon Copy. Empress Superdelay. Korg DT-10.

Peavey Classic 50 410. :thumb

I own an OM-03R.

I use Elixir Nanoweb PB lights (.12-.53).  :thumb
I used to be "edman" here......

I tried some Martin SP LIGHT, .012--.054, for a change and so far sounding nice.

Happy MEMORIAL DAY and a special THANKS to all our vets who gave us all the right to express our free speech in wonderful places like this!!

:thumb :thumbsup
Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing

After trying many types I've settled on the  D'addario EJ 17s  for my OM-03R.  Best for me but maybe not best for you.  Trial and error will eventually lead you to the ones you and your OM-03R seem to favor.   I like the Pearse stings also.

I use John Pearse, Phosphor Bronze Lights on my C09.

Just got my new OM03R a week ago and put on a set of d'Addario Bluegrass strings (light top, med bottom). The guitar sounded great right out of the box but these strings seem to help out the basses a bit more.
The original strings (Cleartone lights) couldn't satisfy me, I didn't like the sound of the bass strings. Let's see how these phosphor bronze uncoated ones hold out. So far so good and good price too, makes it easier to just try something out.

I use D'Addario EJ 16's on my OM-03R and my D-03RE. I know I could get more volume out of the D with EJ17's but I play it mostly plugged in. I've tried several different strings over the years but to me D'Addario has consistently pleased my ears and fingers. Experiement till you find what you like.
charliep

I've found Elixir Nanoweb PB lights to be pretty versatile but lately I've been playing around on a set of D'Addorio EJ17 (mediums). It's a little harder to play but it sounds like I've got a bigger guitar somehow; like it's better for strumming now somehow. 
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610