Would you buy without playing first ?

Started by lw216316, May 16, 2008, 11:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: teh on May 18, 2008, 05:35:43 PM
I play everything before buying it but I look for a long time and play a lot of guitars along the way....
On the flip side, I have purchased my last 6 vehicles (all used) by taking them for a short test ride and signing the paperwork. After all, it's only a vehicle, it's not a guitar.

We have a nice used Toyota Avalon, nice leather.mp3, sunroof etc. We use it for long road trips and the wife uses it around town.
                      I know cars much better than I know gits, I work on them myself, to save time, money and I like to do it. Anyway when I test drove this car I asked the individual whether or not it had any front end,steering issues. He looked me in the eyes and said something like "no way". Well I didn't trust him at all.(too Clintonesque) but the price was really good and it was the model and mileage I wanted so I took the risk.
                      The front end stabilizer mount broke in a day. It was mud dabber welded on by someone who should never be allowed in an auto repair shop.
                       I just went to my favorite salvage yard and got the proper mount and put it on right...no more worries. I never even bothered calling him up and telling him how I caught his dirty trick...what would be the use. A man like that will risk others lives to make a buck so what will a tongue lashing solve.
           I know I'm long winded... my point is some peoples "modus operandi'' is lie, cheat, and steal. So it's always, Buyer beware but even when you "test drive" it may break  tomorrow.

Quote from: bearsville0 on May 17, 2008, 07:14:28 PM
This is why I wish there were guitar rentals, where we can test drive something for a week to get an idea of the brand (granted that every guitar is unique) trademark features.

Agreed! I have bought sight unseen numerous times with some being from companies with return policies, and some individual sellers who had a no return policy. These were the ones that scared me! In fact, my last purchase was from a gentlemen on this forum who had the no return policy but man am I glad I went for it.

With the internet providing dealers that give you sound clips of the guitar you're interested in, as well as places like YouTube you can get an idea of what it might sound like but you still don't know how it feels or plays.

I LOVE the RENTAL idea...maybe someone should start that business up. Although, I'm sure it would be a difficult thing to manage.

My idea of pristine and well taken care of differ from others, and although rental standards could be set, such as if any abuse occurs while the guitar is in your possesion you pay a pro-rated amount for the repairs, etc. it could still be a major headache  :blush:

I still love the idea though!