#8 of 10!!!

Started by danerada, May 15, 2008, 09:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well - #8 of 10 Forum II arrived yesterday. I finally got one. I have been wanting one of those since they came out. Well, I sat around and played that baby for about 4 hours last night and I can't wait to get home from work to play some more.

I am so psyched!!! I will post some pictures later, but I just wanted to share my good fortune with you all.
Forum II # 8 of 10

So glad it found a great "Forum" home!! :nana_guitar

Enjoy it Dane,

Joe
Larrivee L03-R
Larrivee OM-09 12 Fret
Larrivee D02
Martin HD-28V
Martin D12X1
Fender Blacktop

Those are great guitars...I can't remember anyone selling a forum guitar that did not have some sellers remorse after the deed was done.  Enjoy it!  mmmmmmm....'hog tops!
OM-03 MT Custom (Cree Studios "Fish Guitar")

jwb - You have a nice collection of git-fiddles...How is that JCL 40th? I have been pining over those, but I went with the Forum II instead.
Forum II # 8 of 10

I'm a newbie...

Can someone please tell me what a Forum II is?

Thanks,

Adam :?
Lots of acoustics and One Happy Dog

"The noble savage never existed; Eden occupied was a slaughterhouse; Paradise found is paradise lost." - E. O. Wilson

Adam,

It will probably never happen again, for various reasons, mainly the difficulty of agreeing on specs within a reasonable price to attract enough people, but twice before there were special limited edition "Forum" Guitars produced by Larrivée to fill orders from a group of people on this forum.

An attempt to do it a third time collapsed under the weight of indecision.
Rob Hanesworth

'91 Larrivee JB-09 with Sitka top/Indian Rosewood back and sides (12-fret 00 size)

Taylor GA7 -- Alvarez AP 70

Quote from: limnephilidae on May 15, 2008, 12:59:09 PM
I'm a newbie...
Can someone please tell me what a Forum II is?
Thanks,
Adam :?

First of all Welcome!   :welcome:  :wave :wave

The Forum Guitar of which they are speaking was a specially designed guitar made for the members of this Forum.  There were actually 2 runs of these guitars made (hence the II).  They are basically a 12-fret version of the OM-03MT...with upgraded Rosette.  They did also make a few Spruce topped versions and even a couple of Lefty's...for those who play backward... :arrow

They are special guitars by all accounts.  The 12 fret configuration shifts the saddle and bridge a little further back into the center of the lower bout...this seems to give them a slightly improved bass response.  Of course this is all based on hearsay as I have never had the pleasure of playing one.  I'm sure you'll hear alot more from people who have.

Cheers,

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Second that!

I was exceptionally lucky and picked up #17 of the first run from a forum member a short while ago. Notes seem to leap from it, with a crispness and pureness that is very different from the rosewood/spruce I was used to, and the 12 fret neck makes it a very comfortable guitar to play. I can definitely say that in the event of an emergency, I'm carrying that one with me in one hand. Still not sure what I'd take in the other -  :humour:

The biggest problem is that now I have started looking for other all mahogany, or koa, or blackwood, or ??  Larrivees to buy. Luckily for my wife and our marriage, they don't seem to come up for sale very often -

I hope someday another run of special guitars like this could be put together. I'm sure it would take some effort, but for those who got them, it would well be worth it.

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

I have #9 of the first runof 17.

Blue & Tad are both right. A 12 fret on an all mahogany OM body gives a delightfully resonant, yet articulate sound........kind of mellow and clean all at the same time, and surprisingly loud, too.

Keep your eyes open around here, they come up for sale every once in a while, but with a total of only 27 in existance they don't last too long on the classifieds. Maybe if someone has some pics on a server they could post them. I've got the pics but not on our server.

Gary
Taylor Custom GC all mahogany
Tayor 812c (1997)
Taylor 612c (1994)
Yamaha FG730S
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Samick Greg Bennett OM-08CE

I have an OM-05MT and also #1/10 of the Forum II.  Both are typically sweet Larrivee hogs but they do have their
differences.  The 12-fret neck definitely feels different as your wrist is closer to your body.  It also sounds
a little larger, less crisp than the 14-fret.  I also have a Harmony H-165 all hog that sounds different than
both.  I've played some spruce Larrivee OM's and they sound, to me at least, very different than the MT's.
That said, you can never have enough hog!

-rick

This little Forum Guitar discussion comes at just about the right time for me to ask if anyone has put a bone saddle in their MT Forum and, if so, how did it work out? I just put a bone saddle in my OMV-03 and I like it a lot, so I'm thinking about adding a bone to my Forum MT.

Gary

Taylor Custom GC all mahogany
Tayor 812c (1997)
Taylor 612c (1994)
Yamaha FG730S
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Samick Greg Bennett OM-08CE

Here's a spruce top #7 from run #1...

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Don't need to ask twice for me to show mine off!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Quote from: noyage on May 15, 2008, 03:15:11 PM
I have an OM-05MT and also #1/10 of the Forum II.  Both are typically sweet Larrivee hogs but they do have their
differences.  The 12-fret neck definitely feels different as your wrist is closer to your body.  It also sounds
a little larger, less crisp than the 14-fret.  I also have a Harmony H-165 all hog that sounds different than
both.  I've played some spruce Larrivee OM's and they sound, to me at least, very different than the MT's.
That said, you can never have enough hog!

-rick

Hey Rick,

I am glad I found it. That #1 used to be mine. If you ever want to part with it, give me a holler. Enjoy!!!

V/R

Dom

Quote from: jox51 on May 15, 2008, 08:41:54 PM
Hey Rick,

I am glad I found it. That #1 used to be mine. If you ever want to part with it, give me a holler. Enjoy!!!

V/R

Dom

Hi Dom.  I got it from pickngrin - I assumed he was the original owner.  He took great care of her and I haven't changed anything on it.  It is nice that most of these have stayed in within forum members.  Although lately I've been playing the Harmony the most only because the string spacing at the saddle is a tad more.  I've been working thru Stefan Grossman's DVD's and also some rags and find that the additional spacing really helps me.  If I ever get an 00-50MT or 000-50MT, I might part with it... I must say, the OM-05MT stays mostly in the case because I got it new and it's too nice - I'm afraid to play it!

Also, forgot to congratulate danerada on the new Forum.  Is there anything better than getting a new guitar that's as good as you hoped?

-rick

Also, forgot to congratulate danerada on the new Forum.  Is there anything better than getting a new guitar that's as good as you hoped?

-rick

This guitar has superceded my expectaions! One of my best friends owns #7 and I love that guitar, but mine is better  :humour:. You are right Rick - few things are better....
Forum II # 8 of 10

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Wooohooo!!! Randy - That is a great picture! i will post some pics of mine when I get a chance. (when i can put it down long enough). I love the ebony tuners...I am thinking of putting them on my OM-10.
Forum II # 8 of 10

Yes they are incredible and I'm sure we are making you jealous, bhika posted mine for sale and I snatched it up within 20 minutes...only 2 lefties were made.  They are louder and have more bass and oh so sweet sounding.  I love mine so much, I named my band after her.  Here is my Charlotte and a few of her Forum I siblings.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

:nice guitar: :nice guitar: :nice guitar:  BUT... I don't need any more G.A.S.
                         To tweak a phrase "Guitars can be hazardous to your WALLET" :winkin: Danny