Back from the cruise ship gig

Started by aaronjnoone, May 06, 2008, 02:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey guys, what's up! I just did the four month cruise gig with NCL, (Norwegian) I'm back in country and on solid ground. I am sorry that I never got to post pics while I was there, the connection was so slow and expensive that I spent little time online.

I'm going back in July to a different ship doing Seattle to Alaska, and looking forward to that. Hopefully after that one I will get to do the Mediterranean. There are some good itineraries to try.

It's good to be home. You don't realize how much you love home until you're away for months on end.

To anyone interested: If you are a solo performer who wants to travel, or, if you have a duo or trio or quartet who can travel, contact me for details. There are some interesting groups and duos out there, and there are a lot of opportunities/possibilities for acoustic guitarists. 

Having done one contract I see the possibilities for performing. I have proven valuable to the company and my agency and they want to keep me working and I know I can help other people get into it, so if you want to or know anyone who wants to get into it, don't hesitate.

I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying spring. I missed the awesome winter we had in Michigan this year. Too bad.

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.

Welcome Back, I'm glad it went so well for you. Your next cruise sounds like a winner as well. I'm envious of you and can only dream about doing what you are. First off my playing is definitely not up to par, and secondly I could never get away, I'll just live vicariously through you.
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

Welcome back to solid ground!  That is a sweet gig you are set up with, congratulations on your success with it.  :cheers
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Good to hear from ya, Aaron!  You got my dream gig, you dog!  Best of luck and hope you get lots more.

No way I could do that unless they pay for my wife to come along. :)
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

:welcome: HOME!!!

Glad you had a good time and want to do it again...sounds like a sweet gig!!!

Cheers,

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Very cool gig you have there!  - Enjoy it while it's happening and you'll look back on these days with fond memories. I spent the good part of 20 years travelling the world and returned to Canada 2 years ago after spending 8 years in Japan.  See the world and form your own ideas and views.  It's taken me a long time to find "home", but the journey was/is more than the place where you take off your shoes at night.  I turned 41 this year and my life it at a much different place than 10-15 years ago... kids, mortgage, and the other responsibilities with growing older.  Enjoy it my friend and keep us updated with your high sea tales  :thumbsup   :cheers

John
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

Hey Aaron,

Welcome back from your 'cruise ship gig'.  Glad to hear that it went so well.

If it isn't too personal, would you mind posting what a typical gig song list might consist of, while you were doing this gig?    :beer
:guitar

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."

Quote from: canoe65 on May 08, 2008, 02:57:45 PM
Hey Aaron,

Welcome back from your 'cruise ship gig'.  Glad to hear that it went so well.

If it isn't too personal, would you mind posting what a typical gig song list might consist of, while you were doing this gig?    :beer

Not at all. Here's a typical night. Bear in mind that my crowd was usually mid 30's to 50's, some college kids too. I use my looper pedal to build a lot of riffs to do the leads on some of these tunes as well. This list is by no means complete, but this is typical of what I play in a night, plus or minus a few tunes, depending entirely on the crowd.

ventura highway - america
interstate love song - STP
no such thing - john mayer
ain't no sunshine - bill withers
rocket man - elton john
one headlight - wallflowers
jack & diane - mellencamp
only the good die young - bill joel
baby i love your way - frampton
before you accuse me - clapton
southern cross - CSN
bubble toes/steal my kisses medley - jack johnson/ben harper

message in a bottle - police
heart of the matter - don henely
under the bridge - red hot chili peppers
mr. jones - counting crows
so much to say - dave matthews
mary jane's last dance - tom petty
harvest moon - neil young
she will be loved - maroon 5
no woman no cry - bob marley
she talks to angels - black crowes
give a little bit - supertramp
santeria - sublime
meet virginia - train
night moves/pink houses medley - seger/mellencamp

piano man - bill joel
champagne supernova - oasis
treetop flyer - steven stills
acoustic layla - clapton
folsom prison blues - johnny cash
feelin alright - joe cocker
summer breeze - seals & crofts
here i go again/angel/the joker medley - whitesnake/shaggy/steve miller
tiny dancer - elton john
old man - neil young
drift away - dobie gray
drive - incubus
what i got - sublime
wanted dead or alive - bon jovi
500 miles - proclaimers

Welcome back to Michigan Aaron.   :welcome:

Noticed there was no Freebird in that song list.   :bgrin:
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on May 08, 2008, 07:19:17 PM
Welcome back to Michigan Aaron.   :welcome:

Noticed there was no Freebird in that song list.   :bgrin:

Dude! You have no idea how many times I've heard that shouted, it never gets old to people. I have decided to make a mullet rock set. I'm going to get a mullet wig, a big mustache and some huge sunglasses. And when freebird gets requested, I'm going to whip out the mullet gear and play it in its entirety, including the 6 minute guitar solo, then I'm going to do all the greats. Styx, Bad Company, Nazareth, AC/DC, BTO, Boston, Journey, etc.

It's the only way to do it. You can't stop freebird from getting shouted out, all you can do is call their bluff. Because out of ten people who shout 'freebird', only one of them wants to actually hear it. So you reverse the joke. I'll let you know if it works. It should get some laughs.