Any Tips...dadgad?

Started by GIGGLER, July 21, 2004, 06:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I received a set of 3 DADGAD instructional videos in the mail yesterday....haven't started viewing yet.

I've only played a couple of Lawrence Juber arrangements in DADGAD...Yesterday and Danny Boy. Now I'm gonna try some serious learning here.

How many of you play in DADGAD....what songs, and do you have any comments on what you've learned?
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.

Not much in DADGAD but I do play DADDAD.For me the fun was trying to find chords to play beside's the the Still's chords.I hope this help's you.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

*LOT"S* of DADGAD;
Star Of The County Down
Sligo Creek
Spindrift
If I were a Carpenter
Planxty Gallagher
Jock O'Hazeldean
Dead End Suite

to name just a few
Dreamsinger
*very* unusual Custom Shop OMV-09K
JV-05-12 (sold June '05)
Hotrodded D-02
Restored '64 Framus 12
World's best Strat
McAlister 12 fret 00 cutaway in work (taking delivery at Healdsburg)
LKSM with K&K p/u and ebony buttons on order

There's a great book/CD which has a ton of DADGAD and other Celtic tunings from Melbay - 'The Complete Guide to Celtic Guitar'. Mostly Duck Baker and El McMeen transcriptions. I'd highly recommend the book.

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

Quote*LOT"S* of DADGAD;
Star Of The County Down
Sligo Creek
Spindrift
If I were a Carpenter
Planxty Gallagher
Jock O'Hazeldean
Dead End Suite

to name just a few
Hey dreamsinger,

Do you have tab for your DADGAD version of "Star of the County Down?"  Love that tune - I'd like to try to learn it.

Might be interested in "If I Were A Carpenter", too.  Do you sing that or is it an instrumental?

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Do you have tab for your DADGAD version of "Star of the County Down?"  Love that tune - I'd like to try to learn it.

Might be interested in "If I Were A Carpenter", too.  Do you sing that or is it an instrumental?

David
I arranged them both and I sing them. I've never tabbed anything out so it might be a bit of a grunt for me to do. "Star....." will work as an instrumental but IIWAC isn't recognizable enough although it's a tasty sounding accompaniment. Prefer doing both on 12 string.
Dreamsinger
*very* unusual Custom Shop OMV-09K
JV-05-12 (sold June '05)
Hotrodded D-02
Restored '64 Framus 12
World's best Strat
McAlister 12 fret 00 cutaway in work (taking delivery at Healdsburg)
LKSM with K&K p/u and ebony buttons on order

Here comes a lot of tabs for dadgad picking
http://banwarth.free.fr/
In French, but a great link...

Saint-Brieuc (France)
LarrivĂ©e OM-09 LH  /   Avalon L25 LH  / Seagull S6 LH  / Mandolin Paul Doyle

Artie Traum does a great 3 DVD/Video set on DADGAD - it may be the one you have. A lot of the stuff on it is Blues (not really my scene) but it's a great starting point.

DADGAD is a bit like a breath of fresh air for me; as a songwriter I find it's too easy to get 'trapped' with the same patterns on a G chord, for example. DADGAD is a whole new world of experimentation and improvisation and I've found I can redo old songs of mine and give them a totally new feel.

Good luck with it!

Gordon Lightfoot uses it a fair bit. Bitter Green, and I forget which other ones. I'll have to look again.

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

When I get to work Tuesday, I will send you a PDF of a lot of the DADGAD chords.

Email me asking for the DADGAD chords and I will send it to you.

mnewton@roddey-engr.com

If you've heard of Stan Rogers, he used a few alternalte tunings, DADGAD among them. (He is one of my all time favourites; a true poet with a rich baritone voice) Also he credits (if I recall correctly) Archie Fisher with a lot of great songs. Apparently he used DADGAD as well. This might prove to be more of a research project than a help though.

Good luck.