How do you store your guitar(s)?

Started by jshowyin, May 02, 2008, 01:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm in the same general area as the poster ( SF Bay ) and I keep 2 guitar stands out at all times, and generally 2 guitars as well. These are the ones I'll play most, and semi-regularly I put one back in its case and pull a different one out depending on my mood. No humidity problems here, but I am more careful during the winter if we turn the heat on for a week or more.

By keeping only one or two out and the rest cased, I have far less to worry about with animals, careless teenagers, or the occasional earthquake. And having at least one out on a stand near my chair makes it really easy to just pick it up and play anytime, and a quick place to set it down if the phone rings.

As a note - it was always recommended that upright pianos never be placed against an exterior wall because of damp/cold, but with modern insulation and vapor barriers, I don't think that's as much of an issue for many people.

I did keep my "camping" guitar on a wall hanger, but the scouts needed another canoe paddle, so it's gone. The hanger is a great way to store it, though - if you have a large enough wall space convenient to where you play and not in direct sun. I am planning to install a hanger out in the yard - maybe on the fence - so that if I am outside playing guitar and need to check the barbecue or open another bottle of wine, theres a very safe place to temporarily put it.

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Hi this is my first posting so please excuse any glaring mistakes.  I believe I'm supposed to send some virtual donuts so here they are  :gotdonuts:

The question concerning humidity is a good one.  I do have two big dogs but fortunately they pee outside.  I live in the Eastern Side of the Sierra south of Mammoth Lakes.  Being the high desert results in high temps and very low humidity.  I have a music studio that I try to keep between 40 and 45% humidity.  I also (mostly) keep my guitars in their case with a planet wave humidifier in the guitar case.  I have discovered a creative technique for keeping the humidity at reasonable levels; I purchased a portable swamp cooler (evaporative cooler). A swamp cooler is basically a device that pumps water through a porous membrane and allows air to blow through the screen. The air cools as it gives up heat energy to the cooler water. You are supposed to install this device close to an open window or door. However if you close all the windows and keep the door closed you can quickly, and cheaply humidify the room.  just don't allow it to reach sauna like proportions!!

I have a left handed Larivee L19 with the eagle inlay and onboard fishman pickup, a larivee parlor koa special edition, and a custom built guitar made my Mark Blanchard of Blanchard guitars.  (Check out his website). I might be selling the left handed L19 at some future date.

Thanks Adrian

Quote from: jimmy buffett on May 03, 2008, 11:40:41 AM
This is my "guitar humidor".  This is a custom made cherry cabinet, and it keeps my instruments visable, ready to play, eliminates those awkward cases, and is almost air tight, maintaining a perfect humidity level.  I got the idea over a year ago when someone posted on this Forum about how he converted an old china hutch into a display case.

In the past, I used to keep recharging those in-case humidifiers, opening and closing each case when I wanted to play.  This is way better.  My neighbour made this for me in his garage...

I just noticed that you can click on the link below each image for a larger view.

jimmy

Several years ago I built a display case simulator to Jimmy Buffets case and fit the case with a Damp-Chaser system. This is a humidity control system for pianos. My home is temperature controlled and my guitar display case is humidity controlled. The system works well and looks great too. If I have to leave them home alone for a few weeks I don't have to worry.
2006 Larrivee P-05
1971 Guild D-50
1972 Yamaha FG180

Here's a quick pic of my wall rack. I have 3 of these around the house in areas that I normally play. Racks are made from simple cedar stock that is available at any home improvement store. 

Taylor Custom GC all mahogany
Tayor 812c (1997)
Taylor 612c (1994)
Yamaha FG730S
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Samick Greg Bennett OM-08CE

Very nice Gary, I might copy your idea.
Thanks
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

bhika,

Not a problem, if you (or anyone else) need any details just give me a PM.

Gary
Taylor Custom GC all mahogany
Tayor 812c (1997)
Taylor 612c (1994)
Yamaha FG730S
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Samick Greg Bennett OM-08CE

Those are nice wall racks, I started putting a few on wall hangers. But with the air conditioning running 24/7 some of them can't stay out more than a few days. So I keep them in a case with a humidifier if necessary BUT I would rather have them in different areas all around the house ready to pick up and play. I do keep the old classical next to my desk as an easy one to pick up and play at anytime. Like right now. Happy playin, Danny

When not in use, I always store my Larrivée L-03 in its case.    :beer
:guitar

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."

Similar to others, but my rack is a little more "industrial". I live in the Pacific Northwest, but inland where the humidity is rarely acceptable. I have both case and soundhole humidifiers in all the acoustic guitars. Even then, getting 40 to 45 percent can be difficult. Some of that is due to the radiant floor heat in the shop that doubles as my practice area.

On the upside, since I play one or two times a week, it sure makes it convenient to load up to go play. It not only holds my guitars, but both acoustic and electric amps, gear bag, pedal board, guitar stands, and I can pull the SUV or my truck into the shop and moving them off the rack into the vehicle is quick and easy....

[attachment deleted by admin]
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Show Offs!  Mine are in cases......on the floor.......in the corner......out of the way.......out of site.......
7? NBN CT R LTD (custom concert Size) http://media.putfile.com/Pupu-HinuhinuKahuli-Aku-NBN-CT-R-Ltd
76 Martin D-35 (MIA)
58 Harmony Sovereign 1203
06 S & P Woodland Spruce 12
01 Larrivee L09  http://media.putfile.com/Manu-Kai-Larrivee-L09

My humidity level stays in safe range. I have two wall hangers and one floor stand, one wall hanger on inside wall and one outside wall (outside wall is not insulated) never been a problem. In the summer I spend much of my time up north so I keep all the guitars in their cases (so if someone breaks in all they have to do is grab the case and go, don't want them to knick them up while in a rush to put them in the case first.)  :humour:
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I keep my acoustics in their cases, and leave either of my electrics out on a stand for easy access. I have an acoustic stand that a gutar will stay on for an afternoon or evening of playing.

The humidity around my home on the east coast varies from 45 - 65% sometimes. The higher being in the summer, so I have a dehumidifer to take the edge off of that. I spend my summers away from home (I've need guitar deprived dr a month now, and might not be home untill september) while I'm gone I have the family trained to check the humidity in the room where they're stored.
Larrivee D-50 total sunburst
Larrivee D-03r
Gibson Custom Shop Advance Jumbo Gold
Gibson SG Classic
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull S6+GT
Art&Lutherie 12 String
Epiphone M-20 Mandolin
1960/61 Supro Lap Steel
Squier P-Bass

Ken - not to hijack the thread, but I need some pointers in training a family... what's the secret? :humour:
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Since we have fully entered our cooling season, (hot outside) we are running A/C all the time and some of the older gits are real susceptible to dry air problems. Especially the mahogany ones. We have three full bathrooms and one is extra large. So since we are remodeling that bathroom anyway. I put some hangers in there and some stands to place the older non-rosewood models in. I can grab one quick from there and since I rerouted the A/C ducts and did some other Air exchange modifications the humidity level is "git friendly". So in a way I have my first humidity controlled storage room.(hillbilly style)  I still keep the LSV-11 in it's case and wiped down after each use. And a few others are in cases with humidifiers or "soap dish/sponge" Forum special! That's right I learned it right here folks.   Danny

I keep mine in their case in a humidified room.

Sal

I leave a camping (beater) guitar in the stand for those quick passing moments of playing. The good ones stay in the case with a humidifier.
Humidity is not a real issue here in Southern Cal, but earthquakes can play havoc with guitars on stands.
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

The rest are on the opposite wall:

2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

Quote from: lw216316 on May 02, 2008, 01:28:06 PM
Do you have a dog ?
A lady I work with just bought her first guitar. She said she was going to buy a wall hanger for it. I keep my new Larrivee in the case on the living room floor. She said if she leaves her case on the floor her dog will pee on it !     :crying:   :roll

Unless you have one or more of the following then store it in the case
- a peeing dog
- a guitar eating vaccum cleaner
- drunk friends who would trip on it
- a wife who doesn't want to be reminded how much you paid for it

play song, live long   :nana_guitar   :donut   :coffee
- Larry

hahahahah lol   sounds exactly like my place ...but i don't play but seem to be buying the odd one  got 3 now and every once in a while the wife will remark ..you can;t strum a note and you got 3 guitars  bla  bla bla   hah

I keep my LV-03 in the case with humidifier inside...  Sometimes in the soundhole....  I transport the guitar to and from the studio and to church.... 

Regards!
06' Larrivee LV-03E
89' Fender Strat Custom Shop
85' Zion Electric
Carvin all tube vintage amps
And a lot of other junk!