$v > $d

Started by bevo, July 21, 2004, 08:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are cut-guitars more expensive than whole guitars?  

For example:
Is a LV-03R more costly than a D-03R?  
wtb LSV-05

QuoteAre cut-guitars more expensive than whole guitars? 

Yes.

:huh:  why is that?  I would think it'd be cheaper b/c less wood is being used.  I guess more work is being done on it.  oh well, just curious.  :blink:  
wtb LSV-05

Quote:huh:  why is that?  I would think it'd be cheaper b/c less wood is being used.  I guess more work is being done on it.  oh well, just curious.  :blink:
It takes more time to bend the wood.  

Plus it is a demand type thing.  A lot of people like the cutaway (especially on smaller body guitars, Larrivee did away with the DV series), so it may cost a little more.

Same amount of wood is used, just some is discarded. More time for bending and binding.

The cutaway is much more complex to build, and there is a number of factors that go into that pricing.

There is a wood loss factor, not every set of sides will accept being bent in that tight curve. A entire second bending process is needed to obtain that shape. The joining of the sides to the neck block is tougher, as is placing the kerfing around the cutaway. The binding/purfling is alot more complex as well because the binding also has to be bent in the venetian shape. The Finishing/buffing is also more complex because of that curved surfaced - It's very easy to "Burn through" the finish on a cutaway, so alot of extra care needs to be taken on them.

Matthew

As always, Thank you Matthew!

Quotebut is also one of the few to offer a cutaway without electronics... a very nice option.
Although I appreciate innovations such as Taylor's ES system and Larrivee's partnership with B Band gives good guitars with good pickup systems, I would prefer to pick out my own electronics and have no extra holes drilled into the guitar.

So again thanks Larrivee.

Quotebut is also one of the few to offer a cutaway without electronics... a very nice option.
Although I appreciate innovations such as Taylor's ES system and Larrivee's partnership with B Band gives good guitars with good pickup systems, I would prefer to pick out my own electronics and have no extra holes drilled into the guitar.

So again thanks Larrivee.
I agree. Always seems a bit distasteful when manufacturers insist on packaging their cutaway and electronics together because I don't see how the two relate to each other, other than both of them costing more to have.

Ya me too.  
Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus