Larrivee Flame Maple Sound?

Started by Caligator, July 21, 2004, 10:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey everyone,
I know how flame maple usually plays -- bright and loud -- but other than that I do not have too much experience with the wood. I've played a few guitars, but none were Larrivees with FM. Can anyone give me their honest opinion of how it compares to, say.. an L-09 rosewood? I guess I'm debating between the two -- L09R and L09FM -- so that's why I ask.
Tacoma DK-28 Koa/Spruce
Northwood MJ-80R (one more week till it arrives!)

QuoteHey everyone,
I know how flame maple usually plays -- bright and loud -- but other than that I do not have too much experience with the wood. I've played a few guitars, but none were Larrivees with FM. Can anyone give me their honest opinion of how it compares to, say.. an L-09 rosewood? I guess I'm debating between the two -- L09R and L09FM -- so that's why I ask.
Those 2 guitars are on opposite ends of the sound spectrum (IMO).

It really depends on where and what you will be playing.  If you are playing in a band with electric guitars, other acoustics, etc, you might want the Maple because it cuts through the other sounds and brings out the guitar.  

If you are playing solo or in bluegrass or just want some more bass, you might want the rosewood.  

Overall, the most important thing to do is to play the different woods and find the one that sounds best to you.

Installing the right pickup will be more of factor in "cutting" through the band than the wood will, so get the guitar that you like.

Having a strong love for maple as a tone,also having both in stock I did a comparison.The rosewood is a darker tonal sign. with very strong bass responce.The maple has inhanced mids with a nice bass not as strong as the rosewood but very nice.
I play all styles of music and have never really been into rosewood even though I own a couple.I just find that when I tune down  which I do offen that rosewood just doesn't cut it for me.As for pickups its a non-issue for me as I don't plug in and an acoustic guitar has to sound good as acoustic first.
Just MHO,your milage my vary,Let the blood letting begin I can take it.As long as I stay behind my rock...... ;)  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

QuoteAs long as I stay behind my rock...... ;)
Rob, Does that mean that you are getting stoned?  :blink:

Or just a rock musician?  B)

Or both?  ;)  
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Maple has particularly strong treble and mid-range response.  It generally works well with larger body styles that create bass through the side of the box.  There is a clarity I hear in maple guitars that isn't available with other woods.

E. Shoaf

Don can I plead the 5th?????? :ph34r:
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

pics please...no don't...yes do post.
I <3 POW

Thanks for the input guys. I heard that maple in some guitars, i.e. Taylor, can be way too harsh, and I wanted to find out what it sounded like in a Larrivee.

unclrob, I should be able to swing by your place on my way back on either Tuesday or Wednesday next week. How far are you from I-10?
Tacoma DK-28 Koa/Spruce
Northwood MJ-80R (one more week till it arrives!)

Exit 199 make a left head south on 27 2 to 3 miles on the right.there's a map on our website. :D
Be really nice to meet ya.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks