Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebony pins  (Read 759 times)
mixxa82

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2008, 04:12:40 PM »

Hi folks!

How do the ebony pins change the tone? Or do they at all? I have original plastic pins in my L-03R but I'm curious to try ebony.

Next question: I have replaced a nut from tusq to bone. Should I change the saddle too? Does it make any difference?

-Mika from Finland-
pacoima4

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 04:23:44 PM »

Mika,
Everything I have heard for myself and read says that changing the saddle to bone will have bring much more pronounced change in tone than the nut.  Remember that the nut will only have an effect if you are playing open strings.  The saddle is also responsible for for transfering the sound vibrations to the top of the guitar from the strings, so this (in theory) will have the greatest effect on tone (as opposed to changing pins and the nut).

Good luck and I hope this helps!
mixxa82

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 07:32:16 PM »

Thanks pacoima4!

I had some misunderstanding. I did mean I have changed a saddle and I was trying to ask is it smart to change also a nut. Should learn english terms first before asking anything...   bigrin
pacoima4

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 12:12:04 PM »

ha ha!
No problem at all...
mixxa82

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 02:28:16 PM »

So is it smart to change also a nut? haha
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 05:14:09 PM »

welcome

Mika, tonewise I don't think you will notice a difference but they will last longer. I would just wait until the nut needs to be replaced due to wear then replace with your choice of material.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
joxter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 03:10:05 PM »

I am not sure how much tone difference Ebony pins make but I think they look at lot better than plastic.  That is why I change out the plastic ones on my guitars.

Richard

Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee L-05MT
Martin 000-28
Martin 000-28
Martin D35
Ovation Balladeer
Fender Mexi-Tele
pacoima4

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 03:45:21 PM »

My observation is that ebony pins can make a guitar sound a bit "darker", which is why I think they work best with Mahogany.  A bone saddle and pins can sometimes make a mahogany guitar sound a bit "harsh" and "brittle".  Ebony pins can also "tone down" a bone saddle a bit.  This may or may not be desirable; it depnds on the tone you are looking for.  Again, different strokes for different folks.  Some people prefer plastic pins, some ebony and some bone. 
canoe65

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 05:15:41 PM »

I am not sure how much tone difference Ebony pins make but I think they look at lot better than plastic.  That is why I change out the plastic ones on my guitars.

I replaced the Tusq pins on my L-03 with ebony pins that I purchased from the Larrivée Online Store.  I'm not if they made a big difference in tone, but I still LOVE the sound of my guitar ... and I do like the look of the ebony pins with the abalone dots ... they are the same pins that Larrivée uses on the more expensive models. By the way, I also replaced the chrome buttons, at the same time, with the ebonoid black buttons, also purchased from the Larrivée Store.  It was cheap thrills and I like the look.   

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: