Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any advice on swapping out Pings on P-09  (Read 806 times)
alphasports

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2008, 01:01:08 PM »

I just took delivery of a nice little P-09RW, my first Larrivee, bought from this forum (thanks!). While there seems to be quite a bit of discussion about the quality of the ping tuners, I have decided to change mine for machines that are of better quality (I find the pings have quite a few "slack points" compared to my martins & schallers). Any suggestions from players who have already done this? I assume the machines are the same standard size? Thanks

----------------------------------
Martin HD28
Martin J-41 Special
Collings 000-2H
and a few others
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 01:16:33 PM »

I just took delivery of a nice little P-09RW, my first Larrivee, bought from this forum (thanks!). While there seems to be quite a bit of discussion about the quality of the ping tuners, I have decided to change mine for machines that are of better quality (I find the pings have quite a few "slack points" compared to my martins & schallers). Any suggestions from players who have already done this? I assume the machines are the same standard size? Thanks

I would assume that they are mini's.  I believe that the best drop in swap-out tuners are the Schaller mini's.  I used the Gotoh regulars for my LV-10, and the Schaller mini's for my L-10 twelve string.  It's a really easy swap out.  I have an older Larrivee dread, and the pings on it do not have the offset screw hole, so I can't find replacement tuners that wouldn't require drilling a new hole.  But, if your Larrivee if fairly new, you should be OK.
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 05:17:34 PM »

Check out this thread.

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=21239.0

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
alphasports

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 06:11:05 PM »

Thanks, sent larrivee an inquiry today, they replied with, "sorry, maybe check the larrivee forum" ! I don't want to drill new holes, so I'll keep trying to find a drop-in compatible model.

Martin HD28
Martin J-41 Special
Collings 000-2H
and a few others
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 02:49:27 PM »

Thanks, sent larrivee an inquiry today, they replied with, "sorry, maybe check the larrivee forum" ! I don't want to drill new holes, so I'll keep trying to find a drop-in compatible model.
Could you post a picture of your pings?

If you have the old style, these will work.  I put them on an older Larrivee 12 string, and they were a drop in switch, and they are about as good of tuners as you can get.  You can also get just about any button style you want.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/1/Schaller_M-6_Mini_Guitar_Machines/Pictures.html#details

alphasports

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 03:00:29 PM »

Thanks, I'll take a look at those!

Martin HD28
Martin J-41 Special
Collings 000-2H
and a few others
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 05:31:46 PM »

Could you post a picture of your pings?

If you have the old style, these will work.  I put them on an older Larrivee 12 string, and they were a drop in switch, and they are about as good of tuners as you can get.  You can also get just about any button style you want.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/1/Schaller_M-6_Mini_Guitar_Machines/Pictures.html#details

You are correct, those tuners should be a drop in.
You stated in your previous post that you used Gotohs?

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 05:59:27 PM »

You are correct, those tuners should be a drop in.
You stated in your previous post that you used Gotohs?

I have 2 Larrivee 12'ers.  An older maple and a new Braz (the Bride).  I used the Schaller mini's on the older one to replace the pings (drop-in) and I had the Gotohs installed when the Bride was made.  Sorry about the confusion...I guess I misstated.....a senior moment.  I did replace a set of regular sized pings (newer) with the Gotoh 510's and that was a direct swap out.  Things do get muddled at times. wacko
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: