Any advice on swapping out Pings on P-09

Started by alphasports, April 23, 2008, 08:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just took delivery of a nice little P-09RW, my first Larrivee, bought from this forum (thanks!). While there seems to be quite a bit of discussion about the quality of the ping tuners, I have decided to change mine for machines that are of better quality (I find the pings have quite a few "slack points" compared to my martins & schallers). Any suggestions from players who have already done this? I assume the machines are the same standard size? Thanks
----------------------------------
Collings City Limits Deluxe
PRS Studio / PRS CE24 / PRS Mira
Ovation 1778T Elite

Quote from: alphasports on April 23, 2008, 08:01:08 AM
I just took delivery of a nice little P-09RW, my first Larrivee, bought from this forum (thanks!). While there seems to be quite a bit of discussion about the quality of the ping tuners, I have decided to change mine for machines that are of better quality (I find the pings have quite a few "slack points" compared to my martins & schallers). Any suggestions from players who have already done this? I assume the machines are the same standard size? Thanks

I would assume that they are mini's.  I believe that the best drop in swap-out tuners are the Schaller mini's.  I used the Gotoh regulars for my LV-10, and the Schaller mini's for my L-10 twelve string.  It's a really easy swap out.  I have an older Larrivee dread, and the pings on it do not have the offset screw hole, so I can't find replacement tuners that wouldn't require drilling a new hole.  But, if your Larrivee if fairly new, you should be OK.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Thanks, sent larrivee an inquiry today, they replied with, "sorry, maybe check the larrivee forum" ! I don't want to drill new holes, so I'll keep trying to find a drop-in compatible model.
Ovation 1778T Elite

Quote from: alphasports on April 23, 2008, 01:11:05 PM
Thanks, sent larrivee an inquiry today, they replied with, "sorry, maybe check the larrivee forum" ! I don't want to drill new holes, so I'll keep trying to find a drop-in compatible model.
Could you post a picture of your pings?

If you have the old style, these will work.  I put them on an older Larrivee 12 string, and they were a drop in switch, and they are about as good of tuners as you can get.  You can also get just about any button style you want.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/1/Schaller_M-6_Mini_Guitar_Machines/Pictures.html#details

Thanks, I'll take a look at those!
Ovation 1778T Elite

Quote from: Walkerman on April 24, 2008, 09:49:27 AM
Could you post a picture of your pings?

If you have the old style, these will work.  I put them on an older Larrivee 12 string, and they were a drop in switch, and they are about as good of tuners as you can get.  You can also get just about any button style you want.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/1/Schaller_M-6_Mini_Guitar_Machines/Pictures.html#details

You are correct, those tuners should be a drop in.
You stated in your previous post that you used Gotohs?

:coffee  :donut2  :donut
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on April 24, 2008, 12:31:46 PM
You are correct, those tuners should be a drop in.
You stated in your previous post that you used Gotohs?

:coffee  :donut2  :donut

I have 2 Larrivee 12'ers.  An older maple and a new Braz (the Bride).  I used the Schaller mini's on the older one to replace the pings (drop-in) and I had the Gotohs installed when the Bride was made.  Sorry about the confusion...I guess I misstated.....a senior moment.  I did replace a set of regular sized pings (newer) with the Gotoh 510's and that was a direct swap out.  Things do get muddled at times. :wacko: