Any Shubb Deluxe Users?

Started by bransonb, April 21, 2008, 11:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My Kyser capo bites into the neck of my OM-03. I now have a second ding as a result and I'd be crazy to use the Kyser on this OM-03 any more.

I tried out a borrowed Shubb Original capo and was very pleased with the result. It fits very nicely and safely on the OM-03 and I think it would be the solution.

So I'm ready to buy a Shubb. In looking at them on-line I'm curious whether there is sufficient value in paying a few extra bucks for the Shubb Deluxe?

. . . Or do I want the Planet Waves NS? (oh, boy. Capo GAS!)

Thanks.

I use the Shubb Deluxe, 6-string and 12-string models, and find it works very smoothly and efffectively.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

:+1:   for the Shubb Deluxe

kdonovan :guitar
kdonovan

I use a Shubb Deluxe, and I'm very happy with it.  It's small, well-made, and when you've properly adjusted it, it doesn't pull the strings out of tune. Can't comment on whether the extra bucks are worth it over an Original as I've never played with one.  Check out Acoustic Guitar magazine--this month's issue has an article on the relative merits of most of the more popular capos.  It won't answer your question of Deluxe vs. Original though.
Jeff
OMV-40
OM-3R
LV-03
Martin OMC-15E
Late 70's Univox Acoustic
Kentucky Mandolin

Just bought the Planet Waves NS - I think it's great. Very easy to use & adjust. I like it much more than my Older Schubb.
Just my two cents - buy both & return one. Cheers, TMAC

Quote from: TMAC on April 21, 2008, 07:54:37 PM
Just bought the Planet Waves NS - I think it's great. Very easy to use & adjust. I like it much more than my Older Schubb.
Just my two cents -........, TMAC

:+1:
Shubb Deluxe user for three years, or so. Liked the better intonation than the kyser.
Ease of use ok...but I always heard a bit of tone loss when capoing with the Shubb.

Planet Waves NS user since Christmas.  Just as easy to use, different but easy. Intonation same.
NO LOSS of tone or sound with this one.  I think they use slightly harder rubber than the Shubb.;       :nana_guitar

Same price,  get the Planet Waves NS,  you'll love it.

ds   :beer
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

Ditto on Daysailor's sentiment.  Go with the Planet Waves NS.
-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works

In no order, my fav 3 capos are Shubb, Shubb Deluxe, and the NS. All are great.

The original Shubb can be serviced. I keep parts around.

A friend just the other night showed me a silver NS capo! It's hard to see black capos at some gigs, so I'm going to find a silver NS as a backup capo.

Again, all 3 are worthy capos...  :thumb
Dave
'12 L-03RW Italian Spruce (Wildwood)

Thanks to all for your advice. I'm leaning toward the Shubb Deluxe but I just might spring for all three!

I thought I'd update you on my capo caper. I took advantage of a recent Music 123 discount deal and did plan to order a Shubb Deluxe, a Shubb Original, and the NS. The Deluxe was not in stock so I now have my own Shubb Original and an NS. I'm pretty impressed with the design and workings of the NS. It's a nice piece of gear. But it's long and extends beyond the fingerboard such that it interferes with my index finger when I use it. I had been using a borrowed Shubb Classic so knew what to expect there and it's the Shubb that is working out the best on the OM-03. Plus the Shubb is manufactured in USA.  :smile: (The NS is made for Planet Waves in China.) So the Shubb Clasic is my new goto capo, the Kyser is retired, and I may still pick up a Shubb Deluxe when the opportunity arises. I did find a use for the NS. I needed to get inside my Hummingbird through the soundhole so wanted to capo up high and pull the pins to free the strings. The NS was perfect for that!