Yamaha classical

Started by Denis, April 20, 2008, 04:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I sold off most of my cds and dvds that have been collecting dust for years and decided I'd use part of the proceeds for something I thought I really wanted  Yesterday, I spent the better part of day looking for a 12 string.  Tried a few I liked but nothing that really did "it" for me.  I was at my 4th store of the day and found a Yamaha FG-720S-12 which was in my price range but again, didn't do "it" for me.  Then, for some reason, I started looking at classical guitars. 

I haven't owned a classical in years and years.  I've been playing guitar since 1980 when my parents got me my first guitar as an Xmas gift.  It was a cheap Dia II made in Taiwan classical and it's all I had for at least the first couple of years.  I tried a couple of Yamahas and finally bought the CG131S.  It's definitely not one of Yamaha's better classsicals but it does have a solid sitka top.  I got a free set of strings, Augustine Blue, which had been my strings years ago.  I had major flashbacks of my youth, wrapping the strings on the bridge, the feel of nylon strings, they take forever to stretch...just like old times.  Yamaha does have  superb line of classical guitars and this is probably one of the least expensive solid tops they make but I get the impression that this guitar will get a lot more attention than the 12 string would have.  I've owned several 12 strings over the past 27+ years and they score high desire-to-play scale for the first couple of months but then they get forgotten...at least this has been my experience.  A classical is all I had for those first couple of years that I played...it's going to be like getting back to basics. 

I bought a used classical last week to see if I liked it, I also haven't played one in years. I cleaned it up but haven't even put the new strings on it yet. My new LSV-11 keeps saying "play me".  :guitar Oh well it's nice to have a good problem once in awhile.    Danny

ALWAYS have had a classical on hand. I love the Yamaha's. Congrats; you will enjoy it!

Good choice on the Yamaha.  I but a bone saddle on mine.  I sent the plastic one to Bob Colossi to use as a template.  All my instructors have had nothing but good comments on my CG151S.
Larrivee OM-03MQ

Quote from: Wondermutt on April 21, 2008, 08:33:11 AM
Good choice on the Yamaha.  I but a bone saddle on mine.  I sent the plastic one to Bob Colossi to use as a template.  All my instructors have had nothing but good comments on my CG151S.

I tried the 151S as well.  It wasn't much more than the 131S but I liked the sound of the 131S better....and I like it even more now with high tension strings.  Yamaha's still making great guitars from their least to most expensive.  The solid top will definitely make a difference down the road.

Congrats on the new classical. I've been wanting a classical for some time now but just haven't found the right deal.  I too grew up with classical guitars (cheapos), one with a neck so twisted I shimmed the fretboard and nut to make it playable. It was one of those guitars you take canoing and if you lose your paddle you just grab the guitar.  :bgrin:

:coffee  :donut2  :donut
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I was beginning to learn guitar on a Yamaha classical in high school when the upper grades were phased out and we all had to move to another school. The guitars at the other high school were all Kays with 3 inches of action under steel strings! Hence, a bunch of us bailed out and became thugs without the music! :roll
Denis, congrats on the Yamaha!
On a side note--
You didn't sell "all" of your CD's did you? A friend of mine is threatening to do that after copying his 200-plus collection to i-Tunes.

Quote from: Fredmando on April 21, 2008, 12:57:20 PM
!
On a side note--
You didn't sell "all" of your CD's did you? A friend of mine is threatening to do that after copying his 200-plus collection to i-Tunes.

I kept a select fed Fred but the lion's share is gone.  I had over 350CDs most of which I collected while working for one of the largest CD chain stores in Canada.  I burned everything to my new laptop and then back that up on my new 750GB external hard drive.  I rarely if ever listened to my CDs anymore....

Denis, I was just wondering. I didn't mean to hijack your thread, but I would probably keep about 100 of mine.
I am reaching a point where I need to either thin the herd or buy another CD rack. :crying:
I swear, I have CD's scattered all over the house...

CG's are good, the GC's are much better
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon

I have an old Yamaha classical. G255 or something like that. Nice enough guitar. Haven't played it in a year or maybe two. I should dig it out.
I have to confess something though. I buy ball end nylon strings. Tying those things is ridiculous. 
CDs? You guys sound like amateurs to me. I have over a thousand easily. I don't trust my collection to a computer. Every computer I've ever owned has turned on me. Then what kind of collection do I have? I also have lots of vinyl. Anyone buying?  :laughin:   

Quote from: ducktrapper on April 23, 2008, 06:41:43 PM
I have an old Yamaha classical. G255 or something like that. Nice enough guitar. Haven't played it in a year or maybe two. I should dig it out.
I have to confess something though. I buy ball end nylon strings. Tying those things is ridiculous. 
CDs? You guys sound like amateurs to me. I have over a thousand easily. I don't trust my collection to a computer. Every computer I've ever owned has turned on me. Then what kind of collection do I have? I also have lots of vinyl. Anyone buying?  :laughin:   

That's why I bought a 750GB external hard drive ducktrapper.  I back up everything on the laptop and the hard drive.  If one goes, you've got the other. 

I've never tried ball end classical strings.  The tying at the bridge is the easy part.  Keeping them, the treble strings, from slipping...that usually requires tying another knot at the tuner.  Then, once you've got them on, you have to tune them and tune them and tune them until they've stretched.  The bass strings take a couple of hours and the trebles?  Like 48 hours!  I'm sure if I pulled it out of the case right now, nearly 5 days after having restrung it, that the G, B and high E, would be flat.

Still, I love the unique feel and tone of a half decent classical.  Yamaha makes a whole series classicals from all laminate $150 to $10 000 handmade, concert quality guitars and while they don't all sound amazing, the solid tops, even the cheap ones, stay in tune, sound good, use compensated saddles for accurate intonation...all you need to enjoy playing.  For me it's when I feel like a change.  I thought I wanted a 12 string but a classical will be much more useful to me I'm sure.

I feel the same way about 12 strings, mine gets very little play and friends that have them don't play their's much either. The classical was a good choice. Danny

Quote from: ducktrapper on April 23, 2008, 06:41:43 PM

Wow, you pretty much rule the pack when it comes to CD's! :bowdown:
I see where Denis is coming from, but my only worry about putting my CD's on a hard drive is which format is the best. As far as Vinyl, check out a shop in Colorado called "The Finest CD's and Records." I think they buy vinyl and still maintain a good selection of rare stuff. A friend of mine has some Beatles bootlegs that are on vinyl and he says they will never leave his house! He has about 4,300 albums--I've helped him move twice! :roll

I own a whole BUNCH of Yamama classicals...OK wait, most of mine are from the Dynamic series, oldest is mid 1950s and they went out of production once the FGs came into the picture mid 60s. Plus, I own some of Yamahas earliest true classicals...see, the Dynamics can be strung with either steels or nylons and have steel posts but I prefer the sound of nylons on them. Their first classicals...No`s. 45 and No. 85 I own... were meant for nylons strings even though the first models have rounder necks like the Dynamics and less like later flatter necks found on modern Yamaha classicals. The other 60s Yamaha classicals I have were made with flatters necks...I bought the No`s. 60, 80, 100, 120 and 150 but I find the Dynamics to have a deeper voice, their early classicals are works of art. CGs here are not very expensive and if I were not completely satisfied with my Dynamics I`d be after the GCs but the MIJ versions, not the ones made abroad. 
Since buying my first nylon string a few years ago I hardly touch my steel strings anymore, I just love the tone of the nylons, and I don`t play classical music , I use my nylons to play what I was playing on my steels. Glad to hear of another happy Yamaha owner, they can make outstanding guitars.

I'm no classical guitarist, but love having a classical guitar around.  What a smooth  sweet sound they have, great for general fingerpicking stuff, I use a pick too sometimes.  Great to have close by when you want to play a couple of quick tunes.  Especially great for very late night, when the house is asleep.  I took Sneaky's advice and sought out an early all-solid-wood Yamaha Dynamic guitar, they have a great, deep tone, very surprising for the money ($65.00 on eBay).  Mine is a beat up early 60s Dynamic No. 40.
D-02E

nicely broken in#40. gotta love those naturally reliced guitars, nothin` wrong with the prematured relics either...not one to criticize a players choice of axe.
My #40s have the thickest necks of all my Dynamics and are the heaviest, but as you say, beautiful deep voice which surprises due to the fact that they are maple
but I love mine and yours was a bargain at that price. Just sittin` here playing a #15 for a while before I head to teach my one class today.
party on.

Quote from: sneaky on April 27, 2008, 11:32:00 PM
nicely broken in#40. gotta love those naturally reliced guitars

They re-lice them? Weird!  Or is it something to do with rice and pronounciation? 

Quote from: Fredmando on April 24, 2008, 10:09:13 AM
Wow, you pretty much rule the pack when it comes to CD's! :bowdown:
I see where Denis is coming from, but my only worry about putting my CD's on a hard drive is which format is the best. As far as Vinyl, check out a shop in Colorado called "The Finest CD's and Records." I think they buy vinyl and still maintain a good selection of rare stuff. A friend of mine has some Beatles bootlegs that are on vinyl and he says they will never leave his house! He has about 4,300 albums--I've helped him move twice! :roll

Oh Fred! I've moved four times in the last six years. I got to hate my record collection. I always low ball the numbers of ... um ... items I have. Women may be watching. Ha ha. In fact, she's only allowed me to have about a quarter of my LPs in the living room and just a handful of CDs. Here in my computer room, I'm surrounded by tiny plastic cases. Somewhere in the shed there are boxes and boxes and boxes of cassettes. There's even about 500 45's. Guitars are not my only sickness.    :arrow 

Quote from: JohnM2001 on April 27, 2008, 10:27:00 AM
I'm no classical guitarist, but love having a classical guitar around.  What a smooth  sweet sound they have, great for general fingerpicking stuff, I use a pick too sometimes.  Great to have close by when you want to play a couple of quick tunes.  Especially great for very late night, when the house is asleep.  I took Sneaky's advice and sought out an early all-solid-wood Yamaha Dynamic guitar, they have a great, deep tone, very surprising for the money ($65.00 on eBay).  Mine is a beat up early 60s Dynamic No. 40.

That looks like a "folk" guitar,similar to a classical but with ladder bracing instead of fan. Plus the pick gard is neat, it looks like a Gibson. Danny