Boutique guitars (Do we really need them?)

Started by DaveyO, April 19, 2008, 09:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: sdelsolray on May 04, 2008, 11:00:31 AM
I guess it is all about you afterall.

We were having a nice discussion about "boutique" vs. "factory" guitars. It's been obvious for a while to me (and maybe others) that it somehow annoys you mightily that I have the gall to prefer Larrivée guitars to what ever brand you think peope should like. Anyway you only seem to pop up to pop off. I suggest you put your needle away. If we were in the same room instead of you being cyber brave, we might easily find out who or what it's all about Roy.

Quote from: Novalis on May 03, 2008, 07:18:05 PM

Not long ago, I connected with a half-brother whom I have never met in my 38 years on this gravity-well we call planet earth. I will be visiting him and some half-sisters in the next couple weeks. He happens to be a luthier who specializes in variations of the OM size guitar using interesting wood combinations and will be building me a custom made guitar. First, he will spend time listening and closely observing my playing style, approach, attack, etc., then will begin construction to make a guitar with specs designed especially for my needs.

Wow, great story.  I hope your guitar not only turns out well, but more importantly that your "new" family will be a great thing.  Life sure has its twists and turns, huh?

Quote from: DaveyO on April 21, 2008, 10:10:05 AM

John Mayer,Martin guitars
Jason Mraz , Taylor guitars
Monty Montgomery,Alvarez Yairi
Eric Clapton, Martin guitars
Doyle dykes, Taylor guitars
America the band, taylor guitars
Raul Midon, Larrivee guitars
Josh Kelly, Gibson guitars
Tommy E. Maton guitars ,ect.......

the point is even though Larrivee isnt a Boutique guitar, It is a fine instument that
many people can make fantastic music on.

Dave
This list is a good start, but a quick trip over to Martin's site to see who's on the roster will show you that there are many great players -- who get paid to make music -- that see nothing wrong with playing a "factory" guitar.  Heck, look at the list of sig models from Martin alone.....and those folks are actually playing those instruments.  I hardly see anyone playing these smaller builders' guitars.  In fact, most folks seem afraid to take them out of the house, which I completely don't understand.  It's like having a car that you're afraid to get dirty or dinged up, so you leave it in the garage.

I know that Tommy's Maton (his first one that he plays most often....the small one) wasn't build special at all.  He was at the their factory and picked it up and fell in love with it. It was just "one more" on the rack that had been built. 

Quote from: the creature on May 05, 2008, 11:37:15 AM
Wow, great story.  I hope your guitar not only turns out well, but more importantly that your "new" family will be a great thing.  Life sure has its twists and turns, huh?

Quite a few twists and turns lately, indeed. After 38 years of being an "only child" (not easy being the only child growing up on a farm) it warms my heart to be able to meet my newly-discovered siblings.

It'll be a few months down the road until the guitar is made but I'll definately be posting some pics once it's done!
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3

Quote from: mika on May 02, 2008, 04:20:56 PM
  My first impression when I saw this thread is that all high end "factory" guitar companies were once boutique companies.  They had to start somewhere.  So, yes we do need boutique guitars.  These independent luthiers infuse the industry with new ideas and methods.  This is a different industry than say, microchips.  I believe guitar builders freely exchange ideas vs. producing microchips which is very secretive. 
Well, there's some good, what should be, common sense. The best answer for the actual question and said in a few sentences.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Great thread, by the way...
I think I am always confused over finding the right tone and playability in so-called production guitars. I see the difference in between a Huss & Dalton and a Martin, for example. But, when I can find a really good Martin that sounds the way I like, it makes me wonder what if I just dumped $1-200 in upgrades to that guitar? You know, have a good luthier look at the frets, upgrade nut--saddle and do a set-up.
As for so-called boutique guitars, I ran into a guy the other day that buys them used--always, never new. His theory is that buyers at this level of guitars usually keep the instruments in mint condition. Hmmm.
Now, back to sleep for me. :roll

Quote from: the creature on May 05, 2008, 11:44:46 AM
This list is a good start, but a quick trip over to Martin's site to see who's on the roster will show you that there are many great players -- who get paid to make music -- that see nothing wrong with playing a "factory" guitar.  Heck, look at the list of sig models from Martin alone.....and those folks are actually playing those instruments.  I hardly see anyone playing these smaller builders' guitars.  In fact, most folks seem afraid to take them out of the house, which I completely don't understand.  It's like having a car that you're afraid to get dirty or dinged up, so you leave it in the garage.

I know that Tommy's Maton (his first one that he plays most often....the small one) wasn't build special at all.  He was at the their factory and picked it up and fell in love with it. It was just "one more" on the rack that had been built. 

Realizing the downside of adding yet another post to this topic but I think one could easily find an equal number of music professionals that play and own guitars made by smaller builders including:

James Taylor - Olson
Alex DeGrassi - Traugott
Jackson Brown - Ryan
Laurence Juber - Ryan, Petros in addition to his namesake Martin
Richier Furay (Buffalo Springfield) - Petros
Keith Richards - Greenfield, amongst many others I am sure
Eric Clapton - Henderson, again amongst many others

I think what this list above indicates is that many of these music professionals have found that you can find a great guitar from both large and small builders.

Quote from: Pjmsj21 on May 06, 2008, 11:49:00 AM
Realizing the downside of adding yet another post to this topic but I think one could easily find an equal number of music professionals that play and own guitars made by smaller builders including:

James Taylor - Olson
Alex DeGrassi - Traugott
Jackson Brown - Ryan
Laurence Juber - Ryan, Petros in addition to his namesake Martin
Richier Furay (Buffalo Springfield) - Petros
Keith Richards - Greenfield, amongst many others I am sure
Eric Clapton - Henderson, again amongst many others

I think what this list above indicates is that many of these music professionals have found that you can find a great guitar from both large and small builders.

I'm sure that most artists "own" guitars by other builders, but they mainly play the standards.  Clapton is known for his Martin.  Everyone knows that.  Richards is known to play Gibson acoustics.  Jackson Brown....  well, I don't even consider him a serious guitar player, but when I have seen him play it was a Gibson. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 05, 2008, 06:05:38 AM
If we were in the same room instead of you being cyber brave, we might easily find out who or what it's all about Roy.
No need for expensive traveling just to get in the same room and puff chests. This question was answered long ago
by a man who didn't even receive any money for sharing his great revelation. Just put your left foot in, take your left foot out.
Do the hokie pokie man, THAT"S what it's all about!
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: the creature on May 06, 2008, 12:14:10 PM
I'm sure that most artists "own" guitars by other builders, but they mainly play the standards.  Clapton is known for his Martin.  Everyone knows that.  Richards is known to play Gibson acoustics.  Jackson Brown....  well, I don't even consider him a serious guitar player, but when I have seen him play it was a Gibson. 

I thought we already went over this.

Clapton is known for playing a Martin... that sold for almost 800 thousand dollars but don't worry you can go buy your own 1939 000-42 Martin. If you can't afford the model he made famous, Martin now makes copies. The 000-42EC is about $5850 street; I can't afford that so I'll have to stick with my boutique guitar.

If you think players don't use small builder's guitars you must have missed this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8ag9f5RByI&eurl=http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Tony%20rice%20SCGC&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sta

But seriously, the idea that these guitars are locked up in the house not getting played is ridiculous.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on May 06, 2008, 04:31:14 PM
If you think players don't use small builder's guitars you must have missed this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8ag9f5RByI&eurl=http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Tony%20rice%20SCGC&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sta

I watched the video but didn't understand the connection. Was that the right video? Please explain. :arrow
If it sounds good, it is good.

Quote from: bearsville0 on May 06, 2008, 07:49:23 PM
I watched the video but didn't understand the connection. Was that the right video? Please explain. :arrow

The guy is playing what I think is a SCGC Tony Rice model. I was just kinda joking.

However Tony Rice is a decent player (huge understatement) who while playing one of the most famous Martin's of all time also not only plays a SCGC but is very particular in what goes into the TR model and things like a special oil finished neck for his personal SCGC TR. So he plays an iconic pre war Martin and has a signature model from SCGC not Martin.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on May 06, 2008, 08:01:38 PM
The guy is playing what I think is a SCGC Tony Rice model. I was just kinda joking.

However Tony Rice is a decent player (huge understatement) who while playing one of the most famous Martin's of all time also not only plays a SCGC but is very particular in what goes into the TR model and things like a special oil finished neck for his personal SCGC TR. So he plays an iconic pre war Martin and has a signature model from SCGC not Martin.

That sounds like freeze dried horse hockey!I dun toll you peeple that santa cruise doan mek no boteek geetars!

:roll

Quote from: Johnny B. Good on May 06, 2008, 09:22:37 PM
This is a boutique guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly-0nXL1H-k

:wave

I pity the fool that has to change and tune those strings
If it sounds good, it is good.

While I don't own a boutique guitar, I am confident that there will always be a demand for these guitars. I just saw Alex DeGrassi in March playing a Lowden and a Jeff Traugott (his prices start a $26,000). The last time I looked, Linda Manzer (a disciple of Jean Larrivee) had a two year waiting period to buy one of her guitars.

As a lowly porch picker who appreciates fine guitars like Larrivees and Martins that are within my budget, looking at Boutique Guitars lets me dream. If I had the money to buy a top end Martin, R.Taylor or Gibson for $7,000 or up, I would probably opt for a couple of nice guitars from builders like Michael Hauver from Sharpsburg, MD (He sells a nice 12 string with prices starting at $2,400), Oriskany Guitars (prices start around $3,700) or my guy Jim Holler who makes a really cool bent top guitar. I played one of Jim's nylon string guitars and was blown away.

Having said that, I loved Jean Larrivee's comment in the recent cover story for Acoustic Guitar Magazine. In effect he said he wasn't interested in making expensive guitars because most musicians he knows are broke so he is interested in putting guitars in the hands of guitar players. (Sorry I don't have the exact quote, my son pilfered my copy of that issue and it's at his house but I think JL was talking about guys like me).

"There are nights when you can feel stale because you've fallen into a pattern by touring too much, but it's easy to get out of it by deliberately getting in trouble and playing yourself into a corner to then see if you can get out of it." Leo Kottke

Quote from: jeremy3220 on May 06, 2008, 04:31:14 PM
I thought we already went over this.

Should I check with you before posting from now on?  :laughin:

I ahven't been around here for quite some time.  Everyone still getting along famously, I see.