Pages: [1] 2 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boutique guitars (Do we really need them?)  (Read 28384 times)
DaveyO
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2008, 02:51:42 AM »

I am not a great player, but I am always improving.

that being said ,Do I really want a Collings or a Santa Cruz ect...

No, not really, my Larrivee is a damn good guitar,even too good for me really.

I enjoy it very much,and cant see upgrading even if I did have the funds for a
Great Guitar.

thoughts?
Dave
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 03:16:36 AM »

There are lots of players who own fancy guitars.As a repairperson I've handled lots of them and have heard all the reasons for buying them.There just not for me,I like my Larrivee's,Guilds and Gibsons.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Cowgirlie

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 03:19:00 AM »

If you have a Larrivee, you already have a great guitar....
But I have played some wonderful Santa Cruz and Collings guitars....
They really are worth the money, but honestly, I would not trade my 000-50 for most of them...not that they are not as good, it's just that the 000 sounds so right to me.

I am out on the road for my first real road trip with the 00-50, and after three shows, I'm missing "Emma" (the 000)
I am hoping that "Dublin" will start to feel right in the next couple of shows.

Larrivee LS-10 Custom "Jesse"
Larrivee 000-50 "Emma"
Larrivee 00-50 "Dublin"
Larrivee 00-60 "Rose"
Larrivee L-03 Koa "Hula"
Martin 5-18 ('57) "Tink"
Banjitar  "Plinky"
Baby Taylor "Lichious"
Taylor GC-5 E
Oscar Schmidt OU-5 concert uke "Abalone & Cheese"
Makai MT-70 tenor uke "Kimme"
Martin M3 Soprano Uke "LJ"
A couple non descript cl
dermot

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 08:55:01 AM »

Apples and oranges methinks....

For me the step beyond the small factory's and into the world of true luithers is where the real diffrences show.

I would agree that there is diffrences between large factory guitars ( Martin, Larrivee etc..) and small factory guitars (SCGC, H&D etc..) but not to the extent that you will get if you work with a talented builder and know what you want...

the large factorys offers good-> great guitars at reasonable prices
the small factorys offers good -> great guitar at higher prices
a good-> great luither offers amazing  guitars at prices comparable to the small factorys

Lower resale value is the only drawback i can see to a luither, i have not seen, heard, or played a reason to buy a small factory guitar (yet)

d.

jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 02:43:40 PM »

Personally I've played more boutique guitars that I thought were worth the money than factory guitars.

Wait... what's the point of this thread?

prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 02:50:25 PM »

Yesterday I played a 2001 Froggy Bottom small body guitar.  Wavy spruce on top and Madi rosewood back/sides.  12-fret.  Slothead, I think.  That little box just blew me away with clarity, volume, and sweet sound.  Model # was something like P12 or H12.

It was a guitar I could sell all of mine for and be happy.  But that still wouldn't get me the guitar.  The $6100  ohmy price also blew me away.  Oh well, nice dreams.

Play it daily for best results.
DaveyO
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 01:51:17 AM »

See ,thats what I'm talking about,6100 for a guitar?
To me thats just a waste, I could get several nice guitars for that money.
My car isnt even worth that much! I drive a 10yr old Honda.
Good car by the way.

I would say most of the songs and Hits we know and love have been done on
non boutique guitars.Didnt need them then, dont really need them now.

but ......if I got a killer deal on a Collings or Olson thats another thing!

dave

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 02:39:55 AM »

My LSV-11 is way more of a guitar than I am a player. It made me get out the Guitar Players Manual and do some serious thinking about how to play as well as this git can sound. A Collings or Santa Cruz Or Lakewood etc. would truly be a waste of my hard earned money. ( unless of course you stumble into the deal of the decade or something) Larri, Gibson, Harmony and a few others are fitting me fine for now. Danny

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 04:31:29 AM »

To me thats just a waste, I could get several nice guitars for that money...

Following your logic...most of the songs and Hits we know and love have been done on non Larrivee guitars - didn't need them then don't really need them now.

Alot of the songs people here love were recorded on Martins or Gibsons that were expensive then and are outrageously expensive now, plus most boutique guitar companies  haven't been around that long. There are countless artists who use them now. I can't even think of a current well known artist (who's known because of their guitar playing) who uses only modern factory guitars.

Dukex

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 05:14:32 AM »

People buy and play/drive/live in/etc. what they can afford.  It's as simple as that.  Why are there always such silly debates about these things?

Webber OM
Larrivee L-30
Godin LG SP90
Love them Canadians!
didymus21
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 05:53:17 AM »

To me thats just a waste, I could get several nice guitars for that money.
My car isnt even worth that much! I drive a 10yr old Honda.
Good car by the way.

but ......if I got a killer deal on a Collings or Olson thats another thing!

dave

What if the songs and hits we love are classical music?  Don't see many Larrivee, Gibson, Taylors, etc. in that arena.  They are almost exclusively done with boutique guitars. 

Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005

Previously Owned:
Larrivee L-10 Special Edition, 2002
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997
Fredmando
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 12:12:07 PM »

This is a great thread, so I will continue to lurk about...
A good friend of mine plays professionally and has a luthier's custom made OM.
We were talking about Collings and Santa Cruz, both of which I really like, and he made the observation that all guitars are really "factory made" until you get down to the one person,  one guitar maker, in one shop. Then, if you really look at a guitar as a tool, it is kind of upto the player. You know, a lot of people can afford Snap-On tools, but the rest of us like Craftsman because it fits the budget. Both are great tools.
I really don't know the answer to this one. I know that Martin cranks out a zillion guitars a year, yet I can be drawn into a good mahogany sounding 15 or 18 series in a minute. Hence, I tend to think of my Martin 000-15 as a boutique guitar that really needs a good professional set-up.
I also believe that we are drawn to the sounds we grew up around. it's Martin and Gibson for me. But, you can't beat the even tone of a 03 series Larrivee.
DaveyO
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 03:10:05 PM »

Jeremy, well I can think of many non boutique guitar players that play factory guitars.

John Mayer,Martin guitars
Jason Mraz , Taylor guitars
Monty Montgomery,Alvarez Yairi
Eric Clapton, Martin guitars
Doyle dykes, Taylor guitars
America the band, taylor guitars
Raul Midon, Larrivee guitars
Josh Kelly, Gibson guitars
Tommy E. Maton guitars ,ect.......

the point is even though Larrivee isnt a Boutique guitar, It is a fine instument that
many people can make fantastic music on.

Dave
Fredmando
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 04:21:43 PM »

A few years ago I got to meet Leo Kottke during his solo tour through the West.  I briefly asked him about his Taylors because he had noted during the concert that he didn't play boutique guitars any longer.
He said that he had a custom 12 string get mangled while traveling once upon a time and he realized it was going to be several months before he could get another guitar from the same maker. He picked up a Taylor, did some mods on the bracing himself (he said with a pocket knife?) and took that to the next show. Now, Taylor has a signature model, he said he had input on the bracing and he swears he plays them right out of the box.
What was I going to say? bigrin
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 04:23:02 PM »

I am not a great player, but I am always improving.

that being said ,Do I really want a Collings or a Santa Cruz ect...

No, not really, my Larrivee is a damn good guitar,even too good for me really.

I enjoy it very much,and cant see upgrading even if I did have the funds for a
Great Guitar.

thoughts?
Dave

Quite often here I have seen folks bemoan the fact that Larrivee doesn't do customs anymore.  There have been a number of threads along the line of "If Larrivee made customs, what would your dream Larrivee be?"

I think that is the main justification for "boutique" guitars.  You can get one made to your exact specifications...the woods you want, size, style, bling or no bling.  Some folks want to have exactly what they want.  If you can afford it, why not?
Fredmando
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 06:11:36 PM »

I guess I think of Larrivee as a special builder. I know when I had my D-03, Brian from Larrivee gave me the build date and it was spread out over 3 months. I always thought that was cool instead of owning a guitar that "was built in one day," so to speak.
I know Collings has bumped up their production with their new facility, but at what point do they become another factory guitar?
edgeguy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 06:48:30 PM »

I think to most people it is just a status symbol.  Like owning a Lexus when a Honda or Kia will get you to your destination also.  Over at AGF there is a discussion about Ryan guitars and in particular about one that is $35,000.  This I think is just crazy thats why I say it's a status symbol kind of thing.

Larrivee OM-03 MQ
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 07:19:40 PM »

".....I think to most people it is just a status symbol.  Like owning a Lexus when a Honda or Kia will get you to your destination also...."

Ah, but getting there in great comfort is better than getting there in a Honda. That's what you're paying for.  It's not the destination, but rather the journey.
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 09:22:02 PM »

Jeremy, well I can think of many non boutique guitar players that play factory guitars.

John Mayer,Martin guitars
Jason Mraz , Taylor guitars
Monty Montgomery,Alvarez Yairi
Eric Clapton, Martin guitars
Doyle dykes, Taylor guitars
America the band, taylor guitars
Raul Midon, Larrivee guitars
Josh Kelly, Gibson guitars
Tommy E. Maton guitars ,ect.......

I really don't know much about the people you listed but two of the biggest names , Clapton and Emmanuel, both had guitars built for them by Wayne Henderson.

I know Collings has bumped up their production with their new facility, but at what point do they become another factory guitar?

When they make them like any other guitar factory.

Here's a good article. It's biased of course but Somogyi also has a lot of facts too of the way things are done differently. The Craftsmenship section is especially good. http://www.esomogyi.com/handmade.html

Bernieo

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 09:38:42 PM »

If you think 6100$ is outragous for a guitar check out the price on Mandolins Reputable luithers can receive 10K for hand built instruments older F5 style Gibsons can reach 35k and the master Loars as high as 225K$ go figure I'll stick with my Washburn not the greatest but fills the void and affordable sounds as good as I can play it
Pages: [1] 2 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: