Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee Electrics Revisited - Any out there yet?  (Read 8855 times)
guitaradoptions
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2008, 12:40:08 PM »

That one was done with a Clark Beaufort with Reverb, and a T-Rex Mudhoney Overdrive.

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2008, 04:46:14 PM »

All three clips on the website sound very good; would like to hear some neck sounds eventually, too!  (Especially since each tone control has a different capacitor on it.)

I'm antsy to order one of these, but I've got to sell at least two other guitars first (and I know which ones they are...)

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Ignatius

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2008, 10:20:27 PM »

I know that there are all the limits of the computer speakers, the recording system, etc., but I am surprised at how "unsurprising" the sound of the Larrivee electric is in your samples, Dave. I'm curious if you would like to offer any personal reflections on the sound. Given that this is Larrivee workmanship coupled with Lollar pickups, and played through a boutique amp, I was expecting it to sound, well, less like a typical humbucker in an everyday guitar. It didn't sound bad; it just didn't evoke any "wow!" in me. I heard that wow-factor the first time I heard a Larrivee acoustic, and I was hoping for something similar with the electric.

Ignatius
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2008, 01:57:27 PM »

The first shipment just came into the Twelfth Fret.  I hope to check 'em out in person later this week.

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2008, 05:33:17 PM »

I know that there are all the limits of the computer speakers, the recording system, etc., but I am surprised at how "unsurprising" the sound of the Larrivee electric is in your samples, Dave. I'm curious if you would like to offer any personal reflections on the sound. Given that this is Larrivee workmanship coupled with Lollar pickups, and played through a boutique amp, I was expecting it to sound, well, less like a typical humbucker in an everyday guitar. It didn't sound bad; it just didn't evoke any "wow!" in me. I heard that wow-factor the first time I heard a Larrivee acoustic, and I was hoping for something similar with the electric.

Ignatius

It's an electric guitar. The amp and settings are very important. Until I get one in my hands and play it through the amp of my choice, sound clips are merely interesting rather than very helpful.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2008, 10:54:37 PM »

The first shipment just came into the Twelfth Fret.  I hope to check 'em out in person later this week.

Please give a full report ASAP!!! Thanks!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Ignatius

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2008, 01:12:26 AM »

It's an electric guitar. The amp and settings are very important. Until I get one in my hands and play it through the amp of my choice, sound clips are merely interesting rather than very helpful.

I hear you, ducktrapper, I do.

However, there are rich sonic differences that seem basic to many electric guitars: the ES-335 will never sound like a Les Paul, nor will a Tele sound like a Strat, nor any of them like an ES-125. An SG will sound different depending on whether it has humbuckers or P-90s, but in either case, it still won't sound like a similarly equipped Tele or Lester. I think these are more than mere differences among the pick-ups. The whole package of the guitar itself shapes the sound. I guess I was assuming that I would hear a Larry sound that would stand out in some way.

Ignatius
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2008, 01:51:27 PM »

I guess I was assuming that I would hear a Larry sound that would stand out in some way.

Ignatius

I think you have to have the guitar "in person" as ducktrapper implied, before you can truly assess if it has its own personality.  There are a few tweaks that Larrivee has designed in that will certainly impact its sonic signature.  First, the body design, slimmer than a Les Paul with a very thick maple top.  Second, the 25.5" scale length on a set neck - that moves it away from LP territory.  Third, the choice of pickups and electronics.  All of these will move the Larrivee away from familiar territory and obvious "clone tones."

Also, I think it's difficult today to come up with something that sounds like a totally "new" sound on an electric, since there is already a pretty large variety of tones (you mentioned several in your post).  So the Larrivee may not seem totally unique...but don't we all put our own sonic imprint on anything we play anyway?  Don't we all pretty much cound like ourselves on various instruments (yeah, I know, the tones can be thicker or more jangly, but you know what I mean)? 

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2008, 04:17:45 PM »

Just give me the best ride possible and I'll do the rest. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: