Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee Electrics Revisited - Any out there yet?  (Read 9452 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 10:28:27 PM »

Well, you're not going to be able to put P90's in a humbucker route (unless Bondo is invloved bigrin). However, a nice set of Fralin P92's or SD Phat Kats would get you in the ballpark! I agree, though, that you can't get much better than Lollar Imperials for classic PAF tone!

Bah, technicalities!   
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 12:22:49 PM »

Another thing I've wondered about - maybe Walkerman knows - what do the "RS" and the "4" stand for (if anything)?  Did Matthew give any indication while you were there on the tour?

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2008, 12:34:03 PM »

As best as I can tell, it's using a designation that they used in their 80's fling with electric guitars. Back then it designated a strat body with a neck through body design. So ... who knows? Rockslammer 4? Riffstrafer 4? 

Here's the site for the 80's beasts. You can see what used to be called an RS4. My LT1 Laricaster is there too.     

http://www.larrivee-electrics.co.uk/index.htm 
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 08:31:18 PM »

I asked Matthew about a Bigsby whammy bar...maybe in the future.

Adding an after-market Bigsby to an LP-style guitar is pretty straightforward (my used LP came with one), but it does unfortunately put a couple of new holes in the guitar.

I'm a big fan of the Bigsby whammy, although they're a huge PITA to re-string, especially when you're first getting used to them.

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 11:24:48 PM »

As best as I can tell, it's using a designation that they used in their 80's fling with electric guitars. Back then it designated a strat body with a neck through body design. So ... who knows? Rockslammer 4? Riffstrafer 4? 

Here's the site for the 80's beasts. You can see what used to be called an RS4. My LT1 Laricaster is there too.     

http://www.larrivee-electrics.co.uk/index.htm 

Yeah...I thought maybe there was a "French Connection," something in Frech that "R" and "S" stood for...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 04:40:38 PM »

There's a full page ad (BIG) in the June issue of Vintage Guitar player for the RS4...behind it is a Fender Super Reverb that looks very familiar - justlike the one in Walkerman's pics from his factory tour!

Good to see Larrivee pushing the new model - and it looks very good in the photo (the body doesn't look as oddly shaped as in some other pics), even though it's the cherry burst, which wouldn't be my first choice.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
guitaradoptions
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 05:06:11 PM »

RS stands for Rally Sport

bhika
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2008, 06:47:34 PM »

Thanks Dave, Sounds like a good 80's name for an electric.

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 07:26:20 PM »

I'm stickin' with riffslammer! You car guys ...   rolleye
Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 09:36:58 AM »

I am generally pretty accepting of new designs, and I really love all things Larrivee.  But this electric has a rather odd shape... Maybe I will grow into it.

I just think with the electric craze out there, Collings and (dare I say) Taylor electrics are much better looking or more innovative pieces (actually brings something new to the table).  Realistically, and "realistically" is the key word, if I am looking for a Les Paul like guitar, I will get a Les Paul.  Cheaper, better resale, looks better IMO.

I really hope Larrivee prove me wrong.  Because I am a loyal owner!!!

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2008, 11:23:02 AM »

Calvin - Hard to go wrong with a good Les Paul. Here's why I prefer the idea of the Larrivée, however. Having owned an LP, I found it too heavy to play standing up. The RS4 comes in at a more reasonable strat-like 8 lbs. You won't get Jason Lollar imperials in the LP either. My 80's Larrivée electric has one of the nicest necks I've ever played. If the RS4 neck is what I believe it will be, it should more than rival an LP. Lastly, I don't understand the problems with its looks. Classic Gibson/PRS single cutaway design. It pretty much looks like a Les Paul. I'm dyng to get my hands on one! 
Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2008, 06:53:58 PM »

Duck, I hope I grow into it too, in terms of looks.  You are certainly right about the components, TOP NOTCH, and that's something Gibson has really try to skimp on over the year, namely the lack of a proper inlaid logo, cheap tuners, no binding (unless you call that plastic dipped stuff binding)

I guess it's an electric with an acoustic setup. For sure, it's hard to find an 8lb LP out there, though I prefer a strat anyway.  Again, I hope Larrivee proves me wrong, I am just stuck on the looks a bit I guess.  I did hope that there was something more to the guitar than just a 2 HB setup.

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Rivera Sedon
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2008, 07:14:43 PM »

Duck, I hope I grow into it too, in terms of looks.  You are certainly right about the components, TOP NOTCH, and that's something Gibson has really try to skimp on over the year, namely the lack of a proper inlaid logo, cheap tuners, no binding (unless you call that plastic dipped stuff binding)

I guess it's an electric with an acoustic setup. For sure, it's hard to find an 8lb LP out there, though I prefer a strat anyway.  Again, I hope Larrivee proves me wrong, I am just stuck on the looks a bit I guess.  I did hope that there was something more to the guitar than just a 2 HB setup.

A friend of mine's band played a White Stripes' song the other night with his '71 gold top and I was drooling. I have the strat already, would love a Les Paul-ish guitar (for players with less polish?) and would just love to hear what those Lollars will sound like under my fat little fingers.  drool
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2008, 08:17:55 PM »

I am generally pretty accepting of new designs, and I really love all things Larrivee.  But this electric has a rather odd shape... Maybe I will grow into it.

I just think with the electric craze out there, Collings and (dare I say) Taylor electrics are much better looking or more innovative pieces (actually brings something new to the table).  Realistically, and "realistically" is the key word, if I am looking for a Les Paul like guitar, I will get a Les Paul.  Cheaper, better resale, looks better IMO.

I really hope Larrivee prove me wrong.  Because I am a loyal owner!!!

Have you played one of the new Taylor electrics (not the T5 hybrid, the new one)?  I played one a couple weeks ago, and the build was top notch, but the sound (this one had mini humbuckers and a 5 way switch) was anemic and bland.  There were no outstanding tones really.  I'm sure with more gain from the amp, or some pedals, you could get more oomph from the guitar, but to me, it was just missing "something."   

JMHO, so no offense to any Taylor owners here, but I didn't care for the tones at all (this was through a Reverb Deluxe Reissue)...and maybe the other models with different pickups sound different/better... 

I've personally adjusted "mentally" to the shape of the Larrivee, and can't wait to try one, because I'm sure the ergonomics are excellent.  The build quality (materials and workmanship) will obviously be top notch, and the tone should be excellent with the Lollars (getting ready to put a Lollar set in a Tele).

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
LawDogStrgsAttach
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2008, 02:57:45 AM »

I played the new T at GC through a nice tube amp.... 

Then a LP.... bigrin

But then again, Bob Taylor invented the perfect pickup, so now he is able to build electrics where he could not justify it before (think I am exagerating?  See the last Wood & Steel).

Considering the Collings are well in excess of $3500 new...a Larrivee seems to be the choice in "boutique-level" non-LP, non-strat, non-PRS electrics.

But I will roll with acoustics for now.

McIlroy AJ30 Sitka/East Indian Rosewood
Petros Walnut Creek Grand Concert
Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2008, 08:51:37 AM »

I think the Taylor is meant to be a compromise.  Kind of like a BMW X5.  It drives like a sports car, goes offroad like a truck, and carries people like a hauler.  It's a great compromise, but if you really wanted a sports car, get a ferrari; an offroad truck, get a Jeep; a people hauler, get a Van.  You can't not admit that this is an innovative guitar.

As for Taylor acoustics, I am very blah about them.  I think there are a few standouts (512, 614, and maybe the 912).  The rest are very very blah tonally.  They do look gorgeous.

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Rivera Sedon
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2008, 11:04:50 AM »

Great guitars actually but everytime I see a girl named Taylor playing one, I just know they aren't for me.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2008, 02:11:17 AM »

I think the Taylor is meant to be a compromise.  Kind of like a BMW X5.  It drives like a sports car, goes offroad like a truck, and carries people like a hauler.  It's a great compromise, but if you really wanted a sports car, get a ferrari; an offroad truck, get a Jeep; a people hauler, get a Van.  You can't not admit that this is an innovative guitar.

Calvin,  You're referring, I think, to the T5 "acoustic-electric" model that has been out for 2-3 years; I'm talking about the all new Taylor ELECTRIC ONLY guitars in my post above...we're talking about two different Taylor products...and, after playing one, it just didn't do anything for me.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
guitaradoptions
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2008, 10:46:39 PM »

Sound clips are now available!
Here's a taste...
RS4 with distortion