Larrivee Electrics Revisited - Any out there yet?

Started by Mikeymac, April 10, 2008, 04:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I know the Larrivee electrics were supposed to start shipping around this time...anyone seen one yet?  Do Guitar Adoptions, Trinity - or any of the other Larrivee dealers who post here - have them yet? 

I also notice that the Larrivee electric website is still not fully developed/updated (even though it says on there that it will be done by February 8th). I'm just wondering if the guitars are following (slowly, dragging their feet) in the footsteps of the website...

...any news, anyone?

EDITED TO ADD: 

Okay, I did a little checking, and Guitar Adoptions has two: a cherry burst and a charcoal burst.  Both look very nice.  I'm going to have to go for a lefty charcoal burst, when finances allow...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

:humour: Maybe they are on the truck with the mandolins.  :humour:
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

Purely my subjective opinion, but the shape doesn't thrill me. Kind of like an LP that melted in the sun, and it doesn't look like it would be particularly comfortable to play when sitting.
2008 Larrivée L-03SO (Grevillea Robusta)
2008 Art & Lutherie Ami Almond
2000 Larrivée OM-02

"...Okay, I did a little checking, and Guitar Adoptions has two: a cherry burst and a charcoal burst.  Both look very nice.  I'm going to have to go for a lefty charcoal burst, when finances allow..."

Charcoal burst has been sold already... :crying:

Quote from: Yoyodyne on April 10, 2008, 06:39:57 PM
Purely my subjective opinion, but the shape doesn't thrill me. Kind of like an LP that melted in the sun, and it doesn't look like it would be particularly comfortable to play when sitting.

I understand what you mean...  But I still kind of like it.  It has that contoured cutaway like a PRS, but a LP body shape...  If I ever run across a used lefty one (preferably the Tobacco burst), I might just pick one up.
Larrivee D-03R "Marie"
www.joereitzphoto.com

Quote from: Walkerman on April 10, 2008, 06:42:54 PM

Charcoal burst has been sold already... :crying:

Wow.  That was fast; it was still available just a couple hours ago...

joethedestroyer, Dave at Guitar Adoptions said that he has a lefty Tobacco burst on order...

I've had a chance to sit and strum one.  They're very comfortable sitting, and since they are much lighter than a LP, they feel better when standing...IMHO

Quote from: Walkerman on April 10, 2008, 07:33:20 PM
I've had a chance to sit and strum one.  They're very comfortable sitting, and since they are much lighter than a LP, they feel better when standing...IMHO

Where did you try one at?  Did you plug in at all?

Opinions ... Larrivee gasaholics want to know!

Quote from: Mikeymac on April 10, 2008, 07:01:37 PM
Wow.  That was fast; it was still available just a couple hours ago...

joethedestroyer, Dave at Guitar Adoptions said that he has a lefty Tobacco burst on order...

and if I wasn't getting married here in a few months, I'd snatch it up.  Sadly, my gas is on hold.
Larrivee D-03R "Marie"
www.joereitzphoto.com

Quote from: joethedestroyer on April 10, 2008, 09:24:40 PM
and if I wasn't getting married here in a few months, I'd snatch it up.  Sadly, my gas is on hold.

Which comedian was it who said people get married when they get tired of holding in their gas?   :humour:
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Quote from: Walkerman on April 10, 2008, 07:33:20 PM

Good to know, I may be too sensitized to this issue after having to return a Godin LG (bought it online, no local dealers) that seemed to constantly want to slide off my leg. I just compared photos of the two and the waist of the Larry looks quite a bit roomier than the Godin, which should definitely make a difference. Unfortunately, the cost of the Larry presents a much more formidable challenge!  :wink:
2008 Larrivée L-03SO (Grevillea Robusta)
2008 Art & Lutherie Ami Almond
2000 Larrivée OM-02

Pretty much looks like a Les Paul, alright, but you must have seen the Dali version. When I get mine, I'll let you know if I ever sit down.  ;)

Quote from: Mikeymac on April 10, 2008, 07:46:39 PM
Where did you try one at?  Did you plug in at all?

Opinions ... Larrivee gasaholics want to know!

Check out this thread.....

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=20564.0

You can see one from the backside in the second picture.  You'll notice that there is no "indentation" in the bottom....just on the top.  Hence, it will NOT slide off of your leg when you're seated.  There is the indented cutaway on the top of the backside, and that makes it much more comfortable when playing seated. My LP feels like it is cutting into the area between my armpit and chest when I play it seated.  This is especially true if you are not only seated, but if you're leaning back on a couch and put your feet up...as I tend to do.  One other thing I really like is the fact that the back is the natural mahogany and not painted.
I didn't play one plugged in...but I listened to a couple of the Larrivee folks play, so I could watch and really hear the sound.  NICE.

WOW.   :drool:

Thanks Walkerman; somehow I'd missed that whole thread!  But now I'm more confused than ever; I was pretty sure my first one was going to be the Charcoal burst, then the Tobacco burst, but after seeing that Amber one that Matthew's holding...I may have to eventually have three of them! 

I didn't see any lefties in that first batch, but I know they're coming, because Dave at GA has a Tobacco burst on order in lefty...and said he could get any of the others if I was interested.

Larrivee really needs to get their electric website updated - they could add your pics, AND put on some soundfiles!

:nice guitar:  :nice guitar:  :nice guitar:  :nice guitar:

Quote from: Mikeymac on April 11, 2008, 12:17:02 PM
WOW.   :drool:

Thanks Walkerman; somehow I'd missed that whole thread!  But now I'm more confused than ever; I was pretty sure my first one was going to be the Charcoal burst, then the Tobacco burst, but after seeing that Amber one that Matthew's holding...I may have to eventually have three of them! 

I didn't see any lefties in that first batch, but I know they're coming, because Dave at GA has a Tobacco burst on order in lefty...and said he could get any of the others if I was interested.

Larrivee really needs to get their electric website updated - they could add your pics, AND put on some soundfiles!

:nice guitar:  :nice guitar:  :nice guitar:  :nice guitar:

Actually, if you look at the picture of Matthew holding the body of the maple/mahog piece "ready to be cut for electronics"...just rough cut, you will notice that it is a lefty body.  You will also notice that he is standing in front of a stack of lefty bodies.

I have not been able to see one up close either, but to me, the shape simply looks exactly like a scaled down LV body. I'm certainly impressed with the electronics/pickups that have been chosen for them. Hopefully, they will put a version out with P90's and then I'll have to check one out!.  :thumb
Larrivee OMV-05E
Larrivee L-05E
Larrivee LV-03RE

Quote from: Brudr on April 11, 2008, 01:38:02 PM
I have not been able to see one up close either, but to me, the shape simply looks exactly like a scaled down LV body. I'm certainly impressed with the electronics/pickups that have been chosen for them. Hopefully, they will put a version out with P90's and then I'll have to check one out!.  :thumb

I asked Matthew about a Bigsby whammy bar...maybe in the future.

Quote from: Brudr on April 11, 2008, 01:38:02 PM

Actually, you could easily swap out the Lollars and sell or trade them for the P90s. The Lollar Imperials sell for about $150.00 apiece and P90s for about $90.00.  A Dimarzio would probably do the job for $60.00. Personally, I want the Imperials.  

Quote from: ducktrapper on April 11, 2008, 02:04:21 PM
Actually, you could easily swap out the Lollars and sell or tade them for the P90s. The Lollar Imperials sell for about $150.00 apiece and P90s for about $90.00.  A Dimarzio would probably do the job for $60.00. Personally, I want the Imperials.   

Well, you're not going to be able to put P90's in a humbucker route (unless Bondo is invloved :bgrin:). However, a nice set of Fralin P92's or SD Phat Kats would get you in the ballpark! I agree, though, that you can't get much better than Lollar Imperials for classic PAF tone!
Larrivee OMV-05E
Larrivee L-05E
Larrivee LV-03RE

Quote from: Walkerman on April 11, 2008, 12:38:39 PM
Actually, if you look at the picture of Matthew holding the body of the maple/mahog piece "ready to be cut for electronics"...just rough cut, you will notice that it is a lefty body.  You will also notice that he is standing in front of a stack of lefty bodies.

Yup! Lefties in process for sure...I've got to sell a couple pieces and get ready! Thanks for pointing that out!   :+1: