'pallet grade guitar'

Started by Danny, April 09, 2008, 10:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here's something strange that I thought about while looking at Ponte's pics of his L next to some firewood in England. I'm sure a lot already know about this...but for those who don't it is interesting. This is a git made out of scrap pallet wood (the 1st one that is) by Bob Taylor to make a point to Martin I think, that it's less the wood and more the craftsman.   These sell for as much as 10K now. I guess he made his point. Danny   :guitar 

That's a "FORKLIFT" inlay

[attachment no longer available]

People bring this up in tonewood discussions and say it was done to prove the point that tonewood isn't what makes a great guitar, it's the builder. And I believe it cause I'm sure the pallet wood Taylor sounds as bland as the rest of them that sell for thousands.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on April 09, 2008, 10:31:07 AM
People bring this up in tonewood discussions and say it was done to prove the point that tonewood isn't what makes a great guitar, it's the builder. And I believe it cause I'm sure the pallet wood Taylor sounds as bland as the rest of them that sell for thousands.

I really got a laugh out of that reply, but I have heard some nice Taylors. You do have to spend 2 or 3 x's more for the similar tone you would get from a nice Larri 3 series. Anyone who has played both knows that is the case. I've never owned a Taylor but I respect him and think he is a very good craftsman. Danny

Oh, Jeremy, that WAS funny. Sort of passive aggressive..., but funny :whistling:

I have heard some nice sounding Taylors, and some bland ones and some thunky ones and some tinny ones....
That pallet grade one is certainly a hoot.
Love that big grain. :wacko:
Larrivee LS-10 Custom "Jesse"
Larrivee 000-50 "Emma"
Larrivee 00-50 "Dublin"
Larrivee 00-60 "Rose"
Larrivee L-03 Koa "Hula"
Martin 5-18 ('57) "Tink"
Banjitar  "Plinky"
Baby Taylor "Lichious"
Taylor GC-5 E
Oscar Schmidt OU-5 concert uke "Abalone & Cheese"
Makai MT-70 tenor uke "Kimme"
Martin M3 Soprano Uke "LJ"
A couple non descript cl

I'm sure it sounds, well...like a taylor.   :yawn

I have actually spoke with Bob at a convention way back when about this guitar. He had this guitar with him on display. It was actually very cool and it had a great tone as well. If it it the same guitar the nail holes in the wood were filled with silver inlays. The convention was a gathering of Luther's.
  His point was the skill of the builder has a huge effect on the sound regardless of the woods used. Was not directed at any specific builder.

Jim Holler
Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com

Quote from: jeremy3220 on April 09, 2008, 10:31:07 AM
I'm sure the pallet wood Taylor sounds as bland as the rest of them that sell for thousands.

Bland? I've never owned a Taylor guitar, not because they are bad guitars, but because I wanted a slope-shouldered 12 fret dread. Since joining this forum I've noticed that Taylor guitars get very little respect (to put it mildly) which I find strange. Before I bought my Larrivee, I looked at Martins and Taylors at the local shops. Some of the Taylors I played were incredible guitars: great sound and the craftsmanship was impecable. While discussing what I was looking for in a new guitar a buddy of mine suggested that I look into Larrivee and the rest is history.
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3

Quote from: Novalis on April 09, 2008, 02:14:08 PM
Bland? 

Yes, I think most are bland with no body to the sound; like modern pop records where all you can hear of the acoustic guitar is the sound of the strings. I've played a couple that were really nice but the rest I thought sounded sterile.

But my point wasn't to diss Taylor's but rather to show that the anecdote doesn't prove anything.

Well anyway it still brings a smile to my face. We all need a little comic relief now and then, heh maybe that was Mr. Taylors thought a little bit when he made it to begin with. Danny

Roger Bucknall of Fylde Guitars in the UK has been known to build them out of old whisky barrels.

Larrivée Limited Edition Rosewood Parlor (2003)
plus various other acoustic guitars and one ukulele

And I believe it cause I'm sure the pallet wood Taylor sounds as bland as the rest of them that sell for thousands.

Yeah, right . . .  :rolleye:
Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom

Humor is a good thing.  :roll  :roll  :roll
Ruben

I like this thread lol. :roll

Didn't Larrivee say the best sitka for making guitars has only 2-3 lines per inch.  I am sure this mystery wood Taylor sounds as good as anything... I mean any other Taylor. :arrow 

That being said, I am waiting for Larrivee to offer a line of OM-03's made with plain wide grain sitka + plain maple, Throw in a plain sugar maple neck, with black walnut bindings.  Okay so maybe the finger board and bridge has to be tropical woods.  It would be nice to have a "Canadian" guitar though, made with cost effective and local readily available and renewable woods.

The world is much too caught up with aesthetics and not function (I suppose you do want your 3000 dollar guitar to look nice). Taylor proved a good point there, although I wonder if the finished product still sounded like most Taylors.
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon

Taylor makes great 12 strings.
I've owned about 9 of their 6 strings
over 3k each and I don't care for their neck or tone.
I love my 12 string though...

I love my L05 . . .

But I would challenge anyone to say any of these are "bland" sounding . . .especially jeremy3220

Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom

Quote from: Roman on April 24, 2008, 11:34:16 AM
I love my L05 . . .

But I would challenge anyone to say any of these are "bland" sounding . . .especially jeremy3220

:? have you been hiding in a cave waiting for someone to shine the Taylor signal so you can come to their rescue? But seriously, if you think your guitars sound good that's nice and I don't want to step on any toes.

P.S. All those guitars sound bland especially the one with the crooked pickguard.

And the gloves are off.  :cheers
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon

I would just like to add "oh snap!" and "oh no he di'ent!"  :humour:
Larrivee D-03R "Marie"
www.joereitzphoto.com

Quote from: joethedestroyer on April 24, 2008, 04:27:07 PM
I would just like to add "oh snap!" and "oh no he di'ent!"  :humour:

yo sunburst Taylor so fat, when you pull it out the case people be thinkin the sun risin in the sky

Yo Taylor so fat, when you said it was getting a polish, it lit the grill and got out the mustard.