Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I`m soliciting opinons on this type of wood...  (Read 1302 times)
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2008, 12:22:28 PM »

I`m asking the same question around the web so I hope folks here will offer some input...heres the story...

the local shop had just got this in, didn`t even have a price yet. I asked em how much they said make an offer so I said...$50.oo?...they said OK. All solid wood and it`s been banged up some but thats never scared me off before. So gonna clean it up, strings look new, tuners screws are flatheads...shop said it`s a 1964... my wife confirmed later...and she reads the builder`s name as Morio Tasaki/Tazaki, whatever the guitar is it`s all solid wood and a quality guitars...ebony fretboard and bridge, thick slab of rosewood on the headstock, quality tuners and extremely clean inside...no visible glue...   heres she be...

sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 12:23:48 PM »

Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 12:31:30 PM »

It's Brazilian. Very nice how they even bookmatched the sides where they come together at the bottom.
A good $50 investment, Sneaky.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 12:51:33 PM »

I concur. However, I was so hoping to get to say ... BUBINGA!!!
G Man

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 01:03:13 PM »

Definitely BRW, and pretty sweet looking at that.  I'd buy it ASAP.

2004 SD-60
2000 Martin OM-21
1973 LoPrinzi LR-15
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 01:15:14 PM »

you know they had it lying on the floor when I walked into the shop, I`m just grateful nobody stepped on it...I picked it up and asked...whats this?...it wasn`t there yesterday...they said oh that, it`s junk junk...they felt the need to repeat that twice. So as I was looking it over I was trying to keep my best poker face...when I asked why it was junk they pointed to the scratches and dings...so I just nodded and said yeah, I see, in Japanese... hey you know that gift horse thing don`t you?
I was just playing it and I smelled it...I know I know, it`s a sickness...and it has a faint vanilla aroma...or something like it, hard to put my finger on ...but I can`t wait for the strings to stop stretching so I can really hear what it sounds like.
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 04:18:38 PM »

Sneaky
Nice Grab.     The tuners alone are probably worth $50   
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 06:44:01 PM »

Very nice find.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
mika

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 07:14:01 PM »

nice find.  what does the top look like?

7? NBN CT R LTD (custom concert Size) http://media.putfile.com/Pupu-HinuhinuKahuli-Aku-NBN-CT-R-Ltd
76 Martin D-35 (MIA)
58 Harmony Sovereign 1203
06 S & P Woodland Spruce 12
01 Larrivee L09  http://media.putfile.com/Manu-Kai-Larrivee-L09
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 12:10:46 AM »

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 02:38:24 AM »

50 bucks....    cop   Those guys need some help who sold you this.... great find.

sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 02:46:50 AM »

yeah 50, and I bet they would have taken less `cause when I said it they looked at each other and both said YES together. Confidentially I was prepared to go up to $100.oo, but thought I`d go low first. 
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 02:48:47 AM »

I like it when that happens

ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 02:50:44 AM »

Very nice treasure you've found there Sneaky.  Congratulations!

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 03:06:16 AM »

yeah thanks a lot, you know I know I got lucky. haggling is just not part of the culture here...maybe my skills have dulled... which is why things cost so much , other than old classicals I mean... folks just pay whatever the asking price is, too shy to haggle...except in Osaka, I`ve been told people there are totally different from any other Japanese city, haggling is part of the deal.
I thought I was being crafty with my $50.oo proposition,  was sure I was gonna get laughed out of the store so imagine my surprise when they accepted, I`d like to know what the conversation was between the two guys after I left...bet it was something like...can you BELieve that gaijin? Boy did we take him or what , hahaha... Wonder what they`d say if they could read the threads around the web that I started on this guitar. But you know, everybody came out happy, they think they got a deal and I KNOW I did. Nobody was injured and no feelings were hurt in the transaction. Gonna get a hardcase for this one `cause it deserves it, with the earthquakes here I`d hate for something to fall on it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: