My Singapore Guitar Adventure.

Started by orsino, July 17, 2004, 02:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was really excited when I saw a Larrivee sign on the facade of a Yamaha Music Center in a shopping mall in Singapore today. But, no Larrivees to be found inside, only Yamahas. I didn't ask. :(

I played several Avalons today in another shop located in the basement of a shopping center in Singapore. A cedar topped mahog. b/s was just ballsy. REALLY liked it. No better or worse than my Goodall, just different. A sitka/mahog was nice too. All A models? All of them had preamps cut into the side though. I could do without that.
Also played a used cedar walnut Lowden F25 that was VERY
deep considering the cedar top. Hey, they only wanted $3000
USD  :shock:
Oh my, has the Emerald Isle caught my fancy?

Also played two Rosewood J-45s and a Koa custom Hummingbird. Sounded great but not in the Goodall/Lowden/Avalon league IMO.
But only $2500 for the J-45s. Not so bad I guess.

Sounds like a goodtime was had.Any pix?
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

what are ya doing over there?
I'm jealous
sounds like a cool trip.
have fun
Dave
Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus

Cool! Did you manage to sample any of the local culture? Your wall would look pretty cool with some sort of south Asian stringed instrument! BTW, how was Hong Kong?  
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Eaten any unique seafood?!   :blink:
Even on business, it seems like a great time.

I did buy a nice chopstick set all made out of rosewood (no....they didn't have blackwood :P ) in a rosewood case. Very nice. Walked around a lot yesterday soaking up the culture. HOT!!!!
Only saw the airport in Hong Kong unfortunately. But what a view!
Our hosts have been feeding us like crazy. Every meal has been a feast. Ate at a place last night where spaghetti cost $35. Sheeeshh!
No seafood as I'm a vegetarian. They call me Tofu Man as I've eaten tofu in nearly every restaurant. The food is excellent here. May need to buy parlors now as my OMs and L may not fit on my lap anymore. :o  

QuoteAte at a place last night where spaghetti cost $35. Sheeeshh!
Yeah, that sounds like Japan.  I was there in Nov. and Dec.with my Larrivee RW parlor.  I took it to a couple of guitar shops in Yokohama, they loved it.  I Could have sold it for a nice profit but wasn't thinking of letting it go then.  

(Didn't know about BW, heh heh heh.) :ph34r:

Sounds like you had a good time, post some pics asap!  I've always wanted to see HK!
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

yup, yamaha (music plaza) is a horrible guitar dealer in singapore, and so they lost the larrivee dealership...

i suppose the guitar shop at the basement of a shopping centre was sinamex?? and they basically carried mostly taylors?? gotta see those cedar/walnuts then...

glad you had a nice trip...
A Koa GA and a Ziricote OM...

Tom....HOT is what I heard....a friend of mine was stationed in Singapore in the Air Force....on the flight line it was so hot they couldn't even move.....they'd strip down to underwear and lay in the shade of the aircraft....and pray for breeze!

This traveling make you want to join the peace corps? We'd maybe hear from you in sunny Chad or Micronesia?
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.

Gaz, the Lowden was at Guitar Gallery. Yes, Sinamex was the shop I was talking about with the Avalons. I actually went back on Tuesday and played them again. VERY nice guitars.
Giigler, I'm from central FL so it was kind of like being at home. But at least it gets cool in FL in the winter. Hot all year long in Sing.