Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K&K Western Mini installation on an older parlor  (Read 1014 times)
buzzard

Ignore
« on: January 12, 2008, 04:57:06 PM »

I've read their pdf.  Has anyone installed this themselves and learned something worth sharing?   
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 05:05:37 PM »

Its really easy to do if you take your time and get used to the jig. Get a mirror to look inside and most importantly get yourself a 1/2" Forstner bit to drill the end block. Make sure you tape end pin area, prior to drilling, to keep from splintering the wood. The gel they provide gives you plenty of time to work with. Once you stick it it dries pretty quick though. Have a blast, its fun!
buzzard

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 05:22:27 PM »

Thank you!

Once I complete the job, will I be able to plug directly into my church's PA system or will I need a pre-amp of some sort?  Sorry for the newby questions.
guitom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 03:59:31 PM »

From everything I've heard you don't necessarily need a preamp.  It's pretty powerful for a passive pickup.  But I don't have one so I can't speak with authority.  I am getting up the nerve to put one in my P-09 though.
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 05:11:14 PM »

I think the real answer to that lies in the size of your forarm.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
kdonovan

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 09:43:39 PM »

This is another great tutorial for the installation.

http://www.frettech.com/kk/

kdonovan

kdonovan

Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 10:00:13 PM »

should be fine w/o a preamp, unless you are in some monstrously big church and are accompanied by a 72 piece orchestra, or my 15 year old neighbor kid with the strat knockoff.
I have installed two of these without incident. No worries. Take your time, You can do it.
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 01:05:21 PM »

As previously mentioned, take you time with the installation, make the jig and everything should be fine.  Really not that difficult.  Once you've got one sensor glued in, you'll find the second and third ones go faster/easier...and it's fun installing yourself as well. 

The preamp?  I went the first few gigs/open mics without one but once I got one, I did notice a big difference.  Much fuller and more complete sound with the preamp.  I love mine.  I bought a used K&K Pure Preamp from someone at the AGF and wow, money well spent!

buzzard

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 09:34:53 PM »

I finally installed the K&K western mini in my older Larrivee hog parlor using a "unibit" drill bit and the frettech technique.  It was a straightforward no-glitch 2 hour job, and after playing with the eq settings on the K&K pure preamp I'm getting good tones.

Now my Jamman, guitar, vocal mic and Roland HPD combination are depriving me of sleep.   bigrin
patrickgm60

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 10:35:29 PM »

I just had a PWM installed in my Blueridge parlour; plenty of room. (I had the guitar shop install it for me.)

As to the preamp to PA question: I strongly advise using one of K&K's preamps. In my experience, the pre not only boosts, but also improves the sound. Also, the pre includes eq.

Patrick
Martin HD28-LSV
Gibson L-50(?)
Taylor NS32CE
LaPatrie Etude
Blueridge BR-341
Washburn Mando
Bltprf502

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 01:46:24 PM »

I have K&K minis installed in 2 of my guitars.  They are great little pick ups.  However, it is $ well spent to get an LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI box.  I use that box on all my pick ups.  If you do the resarch the LRB is by far the best DI box out there.  That is what most all pro musicians use.  I also have the LRB M1 Passive which means you dont have to drill any holes at all.  I intend on using it with my older parlor as well.  Good luck!

A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?
grantbob

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 06:52:39 PM »

Are there any problems with Larrivee's warranty if you install it yourself (enlarging the endpin hole)?

Assuming of course you do no damage during installation.

Edited to add.... This is for a new (07) L-03. After browsing some other threads, it looks like I may not have to ream it at all. That would be fabulous.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: