Prewar Bracing?

Started by ark, April 02, 2008, 07:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was considering the possible purchase of a Breedlove Revival OM-M which is on the For Sale Forum. One of it's advertised features is prewar bracing, but I am not familiar with the implications of that type of bracing, or other prewar construction differences. I have a 2005 Larrivee OM-O5 -- as a fingerstyle player, what differences would I notice between the two guitars because of the different bracing? In other words, from a playing/sound point of view, is there a reason to have both guitars? I asked this question on the For Sale Forum but didn't get a response (at least not yet); this forum is probably a more appropriate place to ask about bracing.
Thx for any insights,
Al

Pre-war bacing probably means Martin style pre-war bracing and all things equal I would expect more bass and a louder more responsive guitar. There's lots of other factors though so that may not be true.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on April 02, 2008, 10:28:40 PM
prewar bracing probably means Martin style pre-war bracing and all things equal I would expect more bass and a louder more responsive guitar. There's lots of other factors though so that may not be true.

There was a post on the For Sale Forum that stated the prewar braced OM-M was louder and more responsive than postwar braced OMs like the Larrivee, so that agrees with your thoughts. So that makes me wonder why the shift away from the prewar bracing, even in fairly expensive handmade guitars? There must be some trade-offs, e.g., perhaps current bracing techniques yield a more balanced response, or.....?

Al

I wouldn't bifurcate the discussion by lumping all post war bracing styles into one category. I was only comparing the Martin style prewar bracing to Larrivee's. There are an overwhelming number of builders, small and large, who emulate the prewar bracing style. There are also plenty of builders who use modern nontraditional bracing styles to get a more responsive guitar. Most of the modern guitars aimed at fingerstylist use non tradtional bracing systems.

http://www.dunwellguitar.com/DoubleTop/DoubleTop.htm

Which war ?, we seem to be having to many.

:humour:
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes