upgrading humbuckers

Started by brandon, April 03, 2008, 10:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hello all. i'm looking at upgrading my humbucker on my electric guitar. i was wondering if anyone here has ever upgraded any on their electrics. if so which ones did you buy and how much was it to get them installed?

sorry for another electric guitar post  :wink:
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

What kind of electric is it and do you know what pick ups you are thinking about? I think the Seymour Duncan web site has a bunch of sound files from all of their offerings you can spend some time listening and comparing. Same thing with the Gibson web site. Of course, there are boutique pick ups, like Fralin, but I don't know how much you are looking at spending. The tone hunt is on???
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

it is a Tradition Jerry Reid Signatue Pro here is the link

http://www.traditionguitars.com/guitars/jr/jrs_pro.html

it is a very versatile guitar but i guess im just looking for somewhat of a project. i'm not looking to spend too much on it so seymour duncan is probably going to be one of my major choices
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

brandon

Several years ago I acquired an electric hollow-body jazzbox;  It was an Epiphone "Joe Pass' signature model.   It was a great looking guitar and it played very well but the Gibson-Copy humbuckers just weren't up to par.  I had a local guitar shop replace the dual humbuckers with Seymour Duncans.
I put a SH-2 Jazz pickup in the neck position and the SH-4 JB (Jeff Beck) in the bridge position.
The guitar became a tone machine after that.   It made all the difference in the world.    For your guitar I'd recommend the SH-4 JB or the killer "Pearly Gates" humbucker which is a Billy Gibbons designed version.   You can expect to pay about $50 to $60 each for the pickups.  Labor to install is, of course, extra unless you're handy with a soldering iron.

My buddy replaced the single coil pickups on his Mexican Strat with Seymour Duncan "hot rail" humbuckers that fit in the same space as single coils.   Same results.... killer tone.    S D makes great products. 

Find some good headphones, or get a decent amp and speakers hooked to the computer...

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/audio-samples/humbuckers_and/
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Sorry if I derail the topic... but tuffy, where did you find such a guitar?  I've been looking into left-handed hollow bodies, and IIRC, you're just as left-handed as I am.
Larrivee D-03R "Marie"
www.joereitzphoto.com

Quote from: joethedestroyer on April 04, 2008, 08:26:07 AM
Sorry if I derail the topic... but tuffy, where did you find such a guitar?  I've been looking into left-handed hollow bodies, and IIRC, you're just as left-handed as I am.

It was a pre-owned guitar I found in a Guitar Center in Sacramento, Calif.    I went in to buy a used Peavey amp I had seen on an earlier visit.   I walked out with the guitar and the amp.
This particular guitar is not that rare in a lefty version.  In fact I had bid on one a few months before on e-bay.  I've seen other lefties for sale since.   Check e-bay regularly and you may find one.  Mine is the natual wood with a beautiful flamed maple back and sides.  They also make a cherry sunburst that's a real looker too.  You could expect to pay around 350 - 400  bucks for a used one.  I spent about $120 on upgraded pickups.