Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have the guitars But need the right amp!  (Read 3077 times)
TESmith

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 08:14:18 PM »

Well for the moment I am thinking of one of the following

VOX AD30 VT
Fender Vibro Champ XD
Fender Super Champ XD
Crate V Series V18-212
Crate V Series V18-112 18W
Peavey Valve King Royal 8
Vox Custom Classic AC15CC1

Remembering this will be mostly for home use any thoughts or comments on any of these models?
I think I am leaning towards one of the VOX or Fender models, Just really worried that they are all really gross overkill.
What do you all think?

Tim

I also liked the Traynor but think it is too expensive for now.

Crafter GA 7
Fender Highway 1 Tele
GRETSCH 6119-1962 HT TENNESSEE ROSE
Gretsch Americana 2 of them And Yes I like them!
Well now I got good guitars, Just gotta learn to play them!
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 03:08:29 AM »

I think the Vox AC15 will be way too loud for home use.  Nice amp, but I'd take it off your list.

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
sfumato

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 04:39:37 PM »

Well for the moment I am thinking of one of the following
VOX AD30 VT
Fender Vibro Champ XD
Fender Super Champ XD
Crate V Series V18-212
Crate V Series V18-112 18W
Peavey Valve King Royal 8
Vox Custom Classic AC15CC1

For home use, out of your list, I'd probably go for a Super Champ XD (new).....used, I agree with others' suggestions to look for a Peavey Classic 20, too.

If you decide to expand your budget up to the AC15 (and perhaps a bit more), maybe also think about looking for a used Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue (DRRI)....

Have fun!  AAS is whole 'nother affliction   cop
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 06:54:46 PM »

I'll add this to your list. One of the most versatile amps on the planet. No longer made, and certainly collectable and able to gain value over time.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150233968784

However, you will need to know that 15w in a tube amp is LOUD. You will be amazed. I have the older brother to the Goblin, called the Kingsnake 20/60. At 20w my amp is only turned up maybe 1/4 with about 50 percent gain and I can overpower the PA in a church congregation of 1000. I only mention this to keep an attenuator in the back of your mind. If you end up getting the Goblin, it has a 5w setting perfect for home use. The 15w can be used when playing with others. It also has a neet switch called the Schizo switch. It allows you to go from a tweed, to a Fender, to a Marshall sound at the flick of a switch.

Literally, I would buy this, but I'm on GAS restrictions.

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 07:22:01 PM »

For home use, out of your list, I'd probably go for a Super Champ XD (new).....used, I agree with others' suggestions to look for a Peavey Classic 20, too.

If you decide to expand your budget up to the AC15 (and perhaps a bit more), maybe also think about looking for a used Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue (DRRI)....

Have fun!  AAS is whole 'nother affliction   cop

I have a DRRI (OK, so I've got a few amps...), and I don't really consider it a good amp for quiet home use.  It's a vintage-style amp so it has no drive channel, which means that if you play it at home, you can only play it clean (unless your home is way more secluded than mine).  Even then, it's already plenty loud once you get up to about 2. 

And of course most aficionados say that you aren't getting the best tones from the amp until you crank it to about 6 or 7.

Dale, I always regretted my failure to buy a Goblin when Reverend was selling off the last ones.  I dithered and dithered and then they were gone.

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
JohnT

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2008, 12:44:07 AM »

check out the Tech 21 trademark series. You may be able to find a used trademark 10 for a good deal. It's a very impressive little amp.

John
sfumato

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2008, 05:57:10 PM »

I have a DRRI (OK, so I've got a few amps...), and I don't really consider it a good amp for quiet home use.  It's a vintage-style amp so it has no drive channel, which means that if you play it at home, you can only play it clean (unless your home is way more secluded than mine).  Even then, it's already plenty loud once you get up to about 2. 

I play a 1965 blackface Deluxe (non reverb) and a 5e3 tweed deluxe clone at home....and I can't always crank the volume.  I went through quite a few smaller amps (small watts, small speakers) and finally decided that I'd rather hear my guitars through a good 12" speaker and good tubes, even at "2".  I find it to be much more satisfying than the smaller, boxier sounds I got from the smaller cabinet/speaker combos.

As for grind, there are different ways to achieve it at lower volumes...good quality pedals or even an attenuator like the Weber MiniMass.  Is it the "same" as cranking it to 11?  No, of course not.  But, having found pedals that give me different levels of overdrive and work well with my amps, I'm happy with the sound.  (I use a rangemaster boost, HAO rust driver and Catalinbread SilverKiss MKII.)   Just my $0.02.

Hope the original poster is having some fun trying out lots of amps!   
el guitana
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 07:43:18 PM »

I've been shopping , and looked at a lot of the same amps you are thinking of

Fender SUper Champ/Vibro Champ XD - good sound, amp models are in groups of 3, (giving each amp clean, med overdrive, heavy overdrive)  Great price. The Super Champ seems out of stock everywhere, played through one when buying my guitar about a month ago, but did't explore the amp much. Played the Vibro Champ extensively last week - seemed to go from quiet to loud too quick.

Peavey Royal 8 - didn't really connect with it. It won't get too loud since theres a gain and a vol/master. Maybe it was the environment in the store, but it just didn't do it.

Fender Champoin 600: Can't get it out of my head. Gets pretty loud before overdrive, but still - toneful.

Epiphone Valve Jr head/bottom: Oh my. OH my, my,my. Tone to the bone. One knob, like the Champion. This will follow me home soon.

Fender Pro Junior : LOUD 15 watts, but a great sound.

Believe it or not, the tube amp that I brought home is 50 watts, the Peavey Valveking 112. I ended up with that because it was the EASIEST to keep quiet while enjoying overdriven tubes.

Oh, by the way, the Roland Microcube is purely cool. Very nice clean sound, and the acoustic setting sounds really good, especially with an acoustic plugged in. Easy to switch to a bunch of different sounds. I am actually mic'ing it for gigs! If you go solid state, the Roland Cubes are good sounding with good models - plus they are lightweight. - important for a geezer like me.

Go to youtube and search by amp names - lots of demo's.
TESmith

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 02:18:57 AM »

Update for you all, I also want to say thank you for sharing your thoughts

I ordered a Crate V18 2 x12 from m123.....I got a price match for Woodwind and Brass as they had it on sale then I got an additional 15% discount and free shipping to boot \
http://www.wwbw.com/Crate-V18-212-Combo-Amp-(Closeout)-i758381.music
It has a master volume to allow me to work the amp at reduced volumes, talk has been good on another forum about this unit.......It will be my first tube amp to learn and play with
For the price I am getting it for, I can easily sell it if it does not work out........There were several other amps I was serious about, I will probably get others as my experience grows But the deal on this was too good so I had to order one in to give it a try!

Thank You all again!
Tim

Crafter GA 7
Fender Highway 1 Tele
GRETSCH 6119-1962 HT TENNESSEE ROSE
Gretsch Americana 2 of them And Yes I like them!
Well now I got good guitars, Just gotta learn to play them!
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2008, 05:19:53 PM »

Tim - Enjoy! Keep an eye out for an attenuator. An 18w tube amp will be LOUD!!! An attenuator will allow you to drive the amp to get the good tube tone while keeping it at a volume level that your neighbors will appreciate.

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
DuaneD

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2008, 05:34:28 PM »

Hi

love my Fender blues jr.  Great amp with master volume to get some dirt on there without having to get too loud.

I also have a fender pro jr that has a great sound but no reverb or master volume.

I replaced the speakers with Jensen p12R(p10 in the pro) and there the results are better than expected.

I thought the amps sounded great as they were but would never consider putting the original speakers in.

Larrivee D03R
Martin 000-16GT
Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar in Black
Gibson Les Paul Standard 1990 LTD Colour EDT Amber
Gibson Les Paul Special TV Yelolow
Gibson ES-137 Sunburst
Gibson 335 - Cherry O'Baby
Fender Deluxe Strat 2 color burst
Fender 52 Tele reissue
Gibson Les Paul JR DBL Cut Nashville
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print