What Was Your Very First Guitar?

Started by saintandsinnerguy, July 14, 2004, 02:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My older brother and sister both said they wanted to play and never stuck with it. So come around to me it was, uh, uh sure. A friend loaned me his dads Les Paul Jr. And I played it hours a day. Parents then bought something almost worse than nothing. A 50.00 Harmony with impossible action. I did play it, a lot. That summer they finished the new sewer system and everyone needed to connect to it and get off septic. I had ability at time, which I've since lost for some reason, to find water with metel coat hangers. I spent the summer locating peoples old lines and then digging ditch for new lines to system. I then bought a nice tele and a champ tube amp. Also the first of a series of Yamahas as a worked my way up to L-10.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

My first was a Hohner acoustic.  Don't ask for the model number because I just don't know.  I can't say I have any nostalgia for it either.  It was cheap and not good cheap like an old Harmony or my Art and Lutherie Ami.
But it did lead me here, waiting patiently for my 4th Larrivee.

Quote from: Denis on March 22, 2010, 01:11:03 PM
This is an ancient thread that's been resurrected!!  I just like what Randy wrote back in 2004 about a possible Forum guitar order in a OO size...took nearly 6 years!

My first guitar, which is still somewhere at my Mom's place, is a cheap Dia II classical....still play it when I go to Nova Scotia to visit. 
Wow, I didn't even join till 4 years after Randy wrote that. But it makes me feel better with 6000 plus posts to be part of fulfilling something on the forum which began in 2004.
   My first guitar was a Fender "Caster" don't know which one, it was lent to me by a friend. All I could play was barre chords. But I made a lot of noise 40 years ago now.
    The one I really learned to play on was an old classical with the top coming loose. But I had a nice Gibson Dread by 1973.

Sears Silvertone with action so high it could almost pass for a dobro!  00 size as I remember it.  Pickguard was screwed into the top.  All laminates.  Long gone.
Play it daily for best results.

After playing a lot of borrowed guitars, I bought a 12-string from McCabe's in Los Angeles.  It was a Paracho brand from Mexico.  At the time, I was going to school in the Santa Ynez Valley north of Santa Barbara.  The climate there was perfect for growing grapes (as rich hobby farmers have discovered) but really bad for guitars.  It was scalding hot and dry during the day, and wet (fog) and cold at night.  I could actually hear this guitar disassembling itself at night when I was sleeping.  Cracks showed up in the entire back and the sides, and then finally the bridge popped off with a perfect chord sound.  It was a lot of fun to play and real loud, but, even before the bridge came off, I was a little scared that it would come apart completely while I was playing it...and decapitate me!

$50 Tujuana guitar that I skillifully negotiated to $20 in 1972.

Premium Playability......gauranteed bloodly fingertips if you wanted any kind of note, anywhere on the fretboard.   Barre chords impossible.
I still have to think about easing my left hand pressure.   gettin' better every day.... :beer
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

Quote from: flatlander on March 28, 2010, 11:38:39 PM
I then bought a nice tele and a champ tube amp.

And I suppose you no longer have the Tele and Champ, right?

:drool:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

My first was a rental of some kind...but the first guitar that I owned was a red Harmony Rocket. Would have been about 1965....
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

My first guitar was a dreadnought my Dad leased for me from the music store. Have no idea what make or model. I kept it for a year, then gave it back to the store. Playing guitar was harder than I thought it would be. First guitar I owned was an Ibanez classical I bought right after college. Wish I still had it.
Larrivée OM-01
Avalon A201
Silver Creek T-160
LAG T66D
Douglas WF165

Mine was a Sigma Dreadnought, given to me by my uncle.  Super high action, but i loved that guitar, and learned alot of stuff on it before moving on to something else.

Anton

A 1972 Yamaha nylon string, not sure which model. Zepelin sounded much better once I got my first Les Paul.. :guitar

My first guitar was an incredibly beat up Gibson J-175 that my dad bought off a drunk at a honky tonk for $25.00.  The guy owned a flying squirrel and the varmit had knawed on the guitar at various and sundry places.  There was a big crack on the top and there were loose braces.  But it still could chunk.  I thought I had the best guitar in the world. :arrow
"The hardest thing in this world .... is to live in it." - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Quote from: CF Larrivee on April 09, 2010, 09:47:36 AM
My first guitar was an incredibly beat up Gibson J-175 that my dad bought off a drunk at a honky tonk for $25.00.  The guy owned a flying squirrel and the varmit had knawed on the guitar at various and sundry places.  There was a big crack on the top and there were loose braces.  But it still could chunk.  I thought I had the best guitar in the world. :arrow

Cool story, CF!  It just goes to show you that you can fall in love with a beater.  I like the idea that despite it's battered condition, it was "the best guitar in the world" to you...

:nanadance :thumb :nana_guitar

Quote from: CF Larrivee on April 09, 2010, 09:47:36 AM
Flying squirrels? Where you from? Those are pretty rare it seems. I had a friend who a a pair that were orphaned and he had as pets. They came from W.Va. They were a trip. Theyed perch up on something and when someone walked in, they jump/fly onto them, go down your shirt and back out before you knew what happened. Freaked quite a few out.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

flat ...

I am in GA.  I know the story sounds made up , but I swear, that's the story my dad told me about the guitar. :arrow :roll
"The hardest thing in this world .... is to live in it." - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

My first guitar was Ibanez AEL20VV.
It was so hard to play, then I sold it to get Godin Multiac ACS SA Slim.

:beer

My first guitar was an acoustic bass, a Fender BG-29.  Sold it and got me a Gibson Nighthawk which I guess would be my first "guitar" guitar. 
---
'08 Benedetto Bambino
'99 Larrivee Pete Anderson
'77 Les Paul Pro