Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Was Your Very First Guitar?  (Read 8832 times)
musicrowscott

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2010, 04:30:52 PM »

My first was a Yamaha that I abandoned in Memphis during a very quick exit from that city (long story, crazy ex...should probably write about it sometime)...had been handed down in the family and is one of my greatest regrets. Not a great guitar, but that's no way to leave an instrument...

Cheers,

S

Scott w/The Music Row Show
www.themusicrowshow.com
www.myspace/themusicrowshow

Larrivee OM-03 MT
Larrivee D-10E
Larrivee OO-03
Larrivee RS-4 Root Beer
Taylor 614CE
Taylor 315CE
Takamine EG523SC
Ibanez AW120ECERDV
Guild D25
Baby Taylor
NotRevGDavis

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2010, 04:36:40 PM »

My first guitar was a Sears Silvertone - a 1969 Christmas present that cost about $20.00. It was hard to play and sounded awful but I actually learned to play it.  

Exact same thing but mine buzzed like a dirt bike. In 1980 I picked up a Yamaha FG175 and traded it in 2002.

My first electric was my 1973 Jazz Bass in 1981 still play it.

My first Larrivee my 000-50 used(I don't think the previous owner touched it) from the 12th Fret in 2002(?).

The Dude abides.

cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2010, 04:54:34 PM »

First Guitar:
Squire Strat

First Acoustic:
Green Takamine

I sold the strat to buy the Tak.

I traded the Tak for a Martin DM.

I sold the DM and bought a Taylor 314ce w/Fishman.

I sold the Taylor 314ce and bought a Taylor 314ce L1 (koa with the ES system).

My wife says I can never sell the new Taylor, but she didn't say I couldn't buy another guitar.

I know that song! "That wiggled and jiggled and tickled inside her!!"  

Mine was some non-descript 'El Kabong' type, but replaced I think in 1965 with a Garcia classical that I still have (though living with my father - and I have his Goya!)

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2010, 06:11:03 PM »

Several forum members have OO size guitars. I have a OO-10 which I also enjoy playing very much. A very handy size instrument with great sound.

One of the dealers has a special run of OO's with slotted headstock which look nice. There has also been talk of a possible special Forum guitar order in OO size.

This is an ancient thread that's been resurrected!!  I just like what Randy wrote back in 2004 about a possible Forum guitar order in a OO size...took nearly 6 years!

My first guitar, which is still somewhere at my Mom's place, is a cheap Dia II classical....still play it when I go to Nova Scotia to visit. 

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2010, 06:27:22 PM »

This is an ancient thread that's been resurrected!!

That was going to be my first comment as well - from 2004 to 2010 is a looooong time!

My first was around 1970; a cheap Spanish classical (was living in Spain at the time; dad in the USAF). I flipped the strings around on it and played it lefty; about a year later, I started putting steel strings on it because most people were playing steel stringed acoustics...what did I know about necks, string tension and truss rods? Nada!!

That lasted around 3 more years with the steel strings on it; right after we came back to the states, it fell apart.

My first 'real lefty' was a few years later; around '78/79 while in college I got a lefty Ibanez dread (model A300L) that had an arched back (like a Guild). All laminate, but it still cost me around $300 at the time (plus a hardshell case).  Still have it and play it occasionally, but I need to have some fret work done on it. Otherwise it's got great action, and now that the top finish has cracks all over it (30 years later) it sounds decent - but certainly not as good as a solid top/wood guitar.

It's got so many memories and so much mojo, it deserves to be fixed up and played forever, alongside my Larrivees!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
triplecoil

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2010, 07:17:35 PM »

My first guitar was some used Harmony parlor that my parents bought me for Christmas when I was 15. Was great for chilling out on the porch and strumming whatever came to mind.

My first electric guitar (which was also the first guitar I bought) was an Epiphone LP-100. For the price ($270), it was one hell of a guitar. I still like the concept behind it...it's very much like an LP Studio, but it's thinner, has a bolt-on neck, and in my opinion, is much better looking.

I don't miss the Harmony, as it was a pretty junky guitar. I do miss the LP-100, though, if only because it was what I used during all my first gigs and the album I cut with my first band.

Gordon

--
Larrivée D-03R
Alvarez AD-60K
Alvarez 5020SB
First Act Sheena LE003 (don't knock it, it's a handmade, insanely good axe)
Schecter C7
SMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2010, 07:27:31 PM »

Well as long as it's been dredged up my first guitar was given to me by my Dad in 1970.  It's a inexpensive Navarra Classical that I still have and play (and sounds pretty good as well).

Steve ....aka the SMan
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2010, 12:50:07 PM »

Not counting a Kent strat copy, my first good guitar was a red tag Yamaha FG 180 circa 1970.
ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2010, 01:40:15 PM »

My first was a Sivertone archtop given to me by my brother.  That was forty years ago.  It had been custom painted on the top with stars and stripes to mimic the flag of the USA.  The strings were so high above the fretboard that I'll bet even Uncle Rob would've had a hard time playing it.  I've encountered cheese slicers that were more forgiving.  I should see if I could track that thing down.  I gave it or sold it to an old friend.  It'd be nice to have it to hang on the wall if only for a conversation piece.  Who knows, in the right hands maybe it could be tinkered with to actually be playable.

DAVE

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2010, 01:45:21 PM »

My first Guitar was Alverez Regent Series Dreadnought..$110 brand new in 1993...First LArrivee....Mary Helen... drool

Its funny yo see how many people stared on Harmonys and Silvertones....I'm actually going back to these cheap guitars that everyone looks down on now...they are often made of GREAT wood and just need some time ans money put into them to make them great low cost players.

Cheers,

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
cc407

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2010, 02:05:05 PM »

My first was a 3rd-hand Kay archtop with bow & arrow action. SOmething like this:
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2010, 06:28:01 PM »

My first? A '60s Yamaha acoustic. Got it from a firend for $100. First electric, an Ibanez Bob Weir Pro Artist with a tree of life inlaid on the fretboard. Played as good as it looked. Traded that for a '70s Guild D-25. That's when I fell in love with acoustics! nice guitar
     Jeff

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2010, 03:21:36 AM »

Wow! I had no idea I'd been a member quite that long. I hadn't even gotten my first Larrivée yet!  whistling

BTW, I still have that old Kay. I put new 3-on-a-plate tuners on it and had it strung up for 6 months before the neck joint started to fail. Now it's sitting in my younger son's closet sans strings. Someday maybe I'll get another 00 to fill the void, but I'm sorry to say that it probably won't be a Larrivée. I actually like the Martin 00X1 Java Mahogany which while being partly HPL it still has a solid sitka top.

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish

1989 Kramer 610

1973 Takamine F-360 ("Martin Lawsuit" all-laminate D-28 clone)
ohiopicker

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2010, 11:00:10 PM »

Mine wasa plywood Stella.  My dad was an insurance agent and actually took it as barter because the guy couldn't pay a $3.oo premium. It played horribly, but it was 1963, and it lead to bigger and better things........

Mark

Larrivee Parlor
'05Martin 000x
'91 Gibson Star
'93Gibson J-45
'08 Gibson SG Faded
"06 Fender Neck Thru Strat
68 Gibson ES-330
ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2010, 11:24:08 PM »

My first was a 3rd-hand Kay archtop with bow & arrow action. SOmething like this:

cc--

My old Silvertone looked very much like your Kay, but mine was patriotically customized.

DAVE

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
Chasjax

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2010, 12:40:15 PM »

While a junior in high school a 1966 Yamaha FG-180 (jumbo).  I'm pretty sure it was a red label, but back then didn't realize the impartance of that.  Sold it to a fraternity brother in 1971 to fund a beach trip, then replaced it in 1973 with a FG-160 which I still have.  A darn good plywood guitar!

Chas.
Carol

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2010, 02:40:45 PM »

My first guitar was when I was a young girl, and it belonged to my dad when he was young boy! I still have it; it's a 3/4 size 'Serenader'. When I found it in a back closet, it only had the 3 bottom strings. That's what I learned to play on. Finally 2 broke and I had the E string left.  crying It had some binding missing and a few scratches, so I decided I was going to do a 'finish' job on it. Took everything off that I could and put pieces in a plastic bag and was going to sand it. Never did. Lost the bag!  blush (I'm sure it's in a box around here somewhere) I'd love to have it restored, but would costalotta $. Maybe one day!

I'll try and post a picture soon.

'10 Taylor GS Mini
'10 Taylor Spring LTD Koa 12-Fret
GeeNorm

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2010, 02:47:51 PM »

This question takes me back a ways. I was only nine years old and wanted to play guitar "like my dad." So the folks went catalog shopping and bought me one of these.

"The "Roy Rogers" guitar was sold by Sears & Roebuck from 1954 through 1958. The "Roy Rogers" -- and all wooden cowboy models sold by Sears -- were manufactured by the Harmony Company of Chicago."

Couldn't play it, the action was way too high but it made a nice wall decoration hanging over the western scene vinyl headboard of my twin bed.

Fast forward seven years and I got a Silvertone laminate dreadnaught that I also couldn't play without damage to my fingertips. Thank God the Silvertone electric that followed was playable. (No, we didn't know anything about setup, neck adjustment, or adjustments to nut or bridge, sigh.)

Norman

[attachment deleted by admin]

Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}
reechee

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2010, 07:36:29 AM »

My first was a Yamaha FG 150. I got it when a friend went to Vietnam during the war and when everybody passed through Japan they either bought electronics or an instrument. I told him to get me a guitar.  One day this package showed up and it was this Yamaha. Of course at that time  a red label meant nothing. It was just a cheap Japanese guitar. It cost me $40 including shipping.

I still have it and play it. My adult kids love it and it is always the first thing they go to. I think that is because that is the first guitar that they were allowed to play and also I am much more particular about my other guitars.  Plus there really is a reason these things have become legendary. They really are great guitars.
BlackDogJazz

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2010, 01:02:59 AM »

Silvertone  - Brown burst - steel strings.  I was somewhere south of ten.  It was the right size for me, but my fingers hurt so we (and I'll never remember exactly who) switched the strings out for nylon.  I wasn't good then, and not much better now, but I loved to play it.  I'm sure it wasn't expensive at the time, but I played it long after there were some much nicer ones in the house.  Would love to find one like it now.     

LV-03RE,   D-18,   G-312,  ...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: