Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Was Your Very First Guitar?  (Read 9408 times)
hcole

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2004, 01:37:03 PM »

Washburn D-10S got it off Ebay for %170 bucks and still have it as I have only been playing a year.  When I first got it I thought it sounded great but after getting my D-02 I realized their is huge different in an all solid wood guitar.
Zach
Admin

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2004, 02:05:13 PM »

First guitar was a Peavey Horizon II electric.  A year later I bought an Ovation acoustic.  Both were stolen from my house while on vacation.

Zach
naboz
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2004, 02:09:13 PM »

I think my first guitar's story has been told here in another form...
I had a friend that worked at a music store (he was a drummer  :huh: ).  I had always wanted a guitar, and was making good money at FoMoCo as a Summer job (senior yr. h.s.)  Drummer friend says,
"try a 12 string!"  I did; Crestwood 2012.  It has been with me across the country many times--hitching, on the Greyhound, had a neck reset by the place that repairs Crosby's guitars (or used to) in Calif. when I lived there ('80/81).  Was once offered a Martin trade--straight up!  Still have it, though I just recently purchased a D03-12.  So, my daughter (12) has really been practicing and said, "Dad, you cant sell that, its an antique!"  She paid for a set-up at Elderly, and now it is hers.
That and my Yam. FG335 were all I ever needed until I played a Larrivee (and I frequently go to Elderly Instr. and have played Collings and Martins, etc.)--two yrs. later I now have three and will smile with them until I buy the farm!
CANT WAIT TO PLAY MY LV-BW!!!

flaggerphil

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2004, 02:18:07 PM »

My first guitar was a 1964 Gibson LGO that my parents bought new for me on my 14th birthday.  Cost $124 which was a huge amount (at least for our family) back then.  All mahogany, solid wood, small body, beautiful sound, very good action...I loved that guitar.  Had it until 1975 when my (now ex) wife convinced me to sell it while we lived in Hawaii.  I regretted it almost immediately and wish to this day I had it back.

My first electric was a Gibson SG...don't remember which model.  Used it in a garage band while I was in high school.  Sold it when I joined the Navy.

Phil

"History is something that never happened, written by someone who wasn't there."

R. Taylor Style 1 WR
Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
Taylor GS Custom
Taylor PG-LTD
Taylor 600-SPEC
Taylor 510-LTD
Taylor 510 Cocobolo
Taylor 412-M
tim farney

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2004, 03:03:40 PM »

My first was a no-name import from the days when imports bordered on unplayable. It probably would have kept me from ever becoming a guitar player had it not been for my brother's red Harmony Rocket laying around the house.

My second is the one that counts: An early 70s Gibson Southern Jumbo ordered new from Hoot Gibson's Music in Springfield, Illinois (is that a Hoot or what?). Having played a number of 70's Gibsons since I got ears, I doubt it was a particularly good-sounding guitar, but it looked cool and was easy to play and it got me going. I traded it a few years later for a used Gibson J-200 that remained my one and only acoustic for the next 20 years or so...

Tim
Danny K

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2004, 03:19:54 PM »

My first guitar was a New Downsized 1971 Fender Acoustic, I was 7.  A couple years later my Uncle gave me his cheap 1966 Strat style Fender.   In 1979 my mother bought me a new/old stock 1978 Peavey T-60.  In 1986 I decided to buy a new Fender Strat, they were in the process of setting up a plant in Japan, so I had to wait a few months.   I've heard nothing but good about the '86 Fender Strats, and agree.   I stopped playing in June of '92 and in 1993, relearned on acoustic, which I now favor.    I will soon have an LV-03RE.
sjax

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2004, 03:37:19 PM »

An Alvarez back in the mid 70s.  I know it was a jumbo and it was sunburst.  That's all I know about it.
philly4u

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2004, 04:12:04 PM »

When I was in HS in the 70s, a friend had a great Taylor guitar. My mom bought me a cheap guitar somewhere, cherry sunburst, and I was learning on that. Sold it to my sister's boyfriend about a year later.

This year, my 15 year old daughter said she'd like to learn, so I bought HER a cheapie guitar, until I found she really wanted to pursue this. So I bought her a Washburn WD46S. She said she liked it and was taking lessons on it, but said it is easier to learn on an electric. So I bought her a Fender Strat (Mexico) and an amp. I decided to learn too, so I talked the guitar teacher at the music store to teach me at home. I used the Washburn for that and it's great..terrific sounding guitar, but it's big. After a long search for a smaller guitar just bought a Larrivee guitar, used, from the music store. There is no model number on the guitar, but it is parlor size, steel strings, schaller tuners. I can't find much else out about it. Would appreciate anyone's input on this. The guitar sounds terrific and my daughter grabbed right onto it because it's a great size.

Lessons are going well, but not fast enough for me. Maybe I'll have to pick up a second weekly lesson.
D4ve

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2004, 04:13:01 PM »

The Beatles were gaining popularity in 1964 and I wanted to play the guitar just like them.
Same here..as a matter of fact the whole neighbourhood went out and got guitars.. all the kids I mean.
Yamaha guitars...about $20 a piece. They only lasted a couple of months. But we had fun
Then I got a:
Yamaki
Gibson J45
Telecaster
Taylor Acoustic
Paul Reed Smith
Larrivee D60
I managed to hang on to the tele and the Taylor along with the Larrivee.
I am not as famous as the Beatles and I can't play like George could...but I still have fun with it after all these years.

Dave

Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus
stevelawsn

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2004, 05:26:50 PM »

I had a huge Sears Silvertone archtop that I got for Christmas around 1965. I think my Mother through it out along with my baseball cards sometime after I got married. My next guitar many years later was a Takamine Jasmine followed by a Yamaha and then a Larrivee.  

Larrivee D-03 (1997 model)
Larrivee LS-05
Larrivee 00-05
tholmes

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2004, 08:22:54 PM »

The guitar that I learned to play on was a no-name classical that belonged to my older sister. When she left home for college, my parents bought me a Hohner steel-string.After that:
Conn acoustic 6-string
Conn 12-string
Old Fender Tele
'62 Gibson SG
?? Gibson Melody Maker
'73 Gibson Hummingbird (still have it)
POS Epiphone Acoustic
Takamine Maple Jumbo 12-string
MIJ Strat hardtail (wish I still had it)

Now own (along with the old H-bird)
Taylor 355
Martin 000-1
Ovation Std. Balladeer
Fender P-Bass
Larrivee Parlor

Tom

'73 Gibson Hummingbird,'98 Ovation Std. Balladeer, '99 Martin 000-1, '00 Taylor 355, '01 Larrivee Parlor, MIM P-bass, '06 Rainsong AWS-1000
BlueWing

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2004, 08:35:12 PM »

My first guitar was a Sears Silvertone - a 1969 Christmas present that cost about $20.00.  It was hard to play and sounded awful but I actually learned to play it.  A year later I got a Yamaha FG110 which is still in pretty good shape - considering it only cost $100.

BlueWing
Larrivee SD-50
Prozak

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2004, 09:07:39 PM »

Well when I was like 16 I started going to church, and I joined a group of people that managed the worship in High School. Some did sound, some played, some helped set up etc. etc.

Well it seemed like everyone there played guitar, (Seems like Christians have a higher percentage of guitar players, than average joe where I live(los angeles). Then I met some guy who was really just a clown and just pretended to be able to play guitar well. You'll know what I mean when you play a simple song on your guitar and people who don't play guitar, or are just not that into music or don't have a deep love for it, will think your a good guitar player. Well at the time I fit that description, but it gave me the extra push to go out and get a guitar.

So I bought a 100 dollar electric, it was a Peavy telecaster that I picked up the second time with a little squire amp. Well the worship music at my church was mostly just acoustic, so later I got an Ovation Celebrity because I thought the round plastic back looked cool, along with that cherry burst. I sold the electric to my cousin along with the squire amp and I still have the Ovation. After I stopped going to church, I also stopped playing my guitar for about 2-3 years, and have just had a renewed interest in the past 2-3 months thanks to a band called dashboard confessional.

I'll have a Larrivee sometime next week, I can't wait =)

The Ovation has served me well as it's very playable, but after playing some great guitars the sound really leaves something to be desired, and it wasn't till I played some nice guitars that I knew first hand what it meant to be inspired to play be your guitar.
dreamsinger

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2004, 02:07:48 AM »

I couldn't begin to tell you what my first guitar was; legend has it that my folks were throwing stringed plastic things in my crib and it got to be a habit. Koa uke in the first grade;, Mickey mouse guitar that played the MMC theme when you turned the crank. a Douglas jumbo at 13 followed by a Hagsrom I electric. Framus 12 string (which I *still* have for my 14th birthday. Guild D-40 for my 15th (see a pattern evolving here?) Wheeled and dealed for a Trini Lopez and a Super Reverb, traded a car for my pick of any of the D-35's in Veneman's warehouse in '69. Sold it in Korea for 4x what it was worth. '63 Jazz Bass. Went nuts one day and sold every piece of electric gear I had and bought a Stelling banjo. Laid low for a number of years until I picked up a Larrivee C-10, which lead to a Taylor 555C then to a Goodall KGC, then a Breedlove koa/redwood 12. A matched pair of Alembic 5 strings fretted and fretless. A D-02 with a McIntyre bug. A wild hair to get a Strat *exactly* like I wanted it led to an adventure with Warmoth and Joe Barden resulting in a Ferden Sortacaster.  a botched Custom Shop order netted me an OMV-09K with a 1 7/8" nut, no fingerboard inlay, ebony bound fingerboard, dragon headstock inlay, celtic knot bridge wings. PUTW SBT with a Joe Mills mic run through a Baggs MixPro. Useta have an AP13 but it got to be too much crap to carry around. Good friend Roy McAlister is building me a 12 fret 00 slothead with a Shoenberg type cutaway in Oregon walnut with a redwood top. Should have it in August. Latest object of GAS lust is a JV-05-12 that I found in Minneapolis. I'm sure there's handful of other guitars that passed through my hands that I was too stupid know to keep that I don't remember offhand.

Dreamsinger
*very* unusual Custom Shop OMV-09K
JV-05-12 (sold June '05)
Hotrodded D-02
Restored '64 Framus 12
World's best Strat
McAlister 12 fret 00 cutaway in work (taking delivery at Healdsburg)
LKSM with K&K p/u and ebony buttons on order
naboz
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2004, 12:16:27 PM »

Whew...
there's a closet full!
I had one of those Mickey Mouse crank guitars!  I would never have remembered if you hadnt mentioned it!  :huh:  
Dude2Dude

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2004, 03:56:01 PM »

First guitar: a Suzuki S-2 classical, purchased when I was ten. That's 33 years ago, now.

First electric: a Dan Armstrong see-through plexiglass guitar, with removable (interchangeable) pickup. Bought it when I was 12. Wish I had it today.

First good acoustic: a Larrivee L-03R...purchased (finally!) last year.
philly4u

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2004, 12:43:57 AM »

See my post above about my new Larrivee.
Ok, so I e-mailed Larrivee and described the little guitar I just bought and gave them the serial number. There is no model number on the label inside the sound hole. It seems I got a model OO-09. It was started in production in March 95. The back and sides are East Indian Rosewood, the top is Sitka Spruce,
the neck is Honduran Mahogany, the bridge and fingerboard are African Ebony. Hardshell case and the former owner left the capo in the accessory compartment.

Anyone else have this model? I really like it.
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2004, 03:09:53 AM »

See my post above about my new Larrivee.
Ok, so I e-mailed Larrivee and described the little guitar I just bought and gave them the serial number. There is no model number on the label inside the sound hole. It seems I got a model OO-09. It was started in production in March 95. The back and sides are East Indian Rosewood, the top is Sitka Spruce,
the neck is Honduran Mahogany, the bridge and fingerboard are African Ebony. Hardshell case and the former owner left the capo in the accessory compartment.

Anyone else have this model? I really like it.
Several forum members have OO size guitars. I have a OO-10 which I also enjoy playing very much. A very handy size instrument with great sound.

One of the dealers has a special run of OO's with slotted headstock which look nice. There has also been talk of a possible special Forum guitar order in OO size.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
guitarlover

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2010, 04:58:32 AM »

My first guitar is Encore Half Size Classic Guitar and i still have it till now.

ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2010, 04:20:58 PM »

First stringed instrument: ukelele (age 5).

First guitar: arch top f-hole with a severely bowed neck (1/2" or better at the 12th fret). My father pulled the back off and put a bolt through the heel to pull the neck down and I played it for a year before graduating to a Gibson F-25 and all the wonderful guitars since. I must have really wanted to play to put up with that arch top. Oh well, the price was right: free.

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: