Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Was Your Very First Guitar?  (Read 8828 times)
saintandsinnerguy

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2004, 07:56:14 PM »

I got a Hondo II for Christmas of my 6th grade year.  It cost all of $50 and came with 4 group lessons from the local store.  THat guitar never stayed in tune.  I replaced that guitar during my college years with a used Yahmaha LL series....just sold it to a girl in my church.  I also had a really bad Epiphone 12 string for a while.....bowed neck on it....too young and ignorant to know what I was supposed to buy.  ALso, it didn't come with a saddle????  How crazy was that?  

During my garage band days I bought an O Hagen electric guitar (then the company went out of business)

Now....my guitars are Larrivee Rosewood and Maple Parlor.  I will be keeping those.....but looking for 00 or OM to add to my stable.  

Amazing that I kept playing after learning on that old Hondo II.  In a way, I wish I still had it for posterity reasons.....but long been destroyed.

Larrivee D-03 MT (2005)  "Dixie"
Larrivee Mahogany Parlor-01 (unbound 2000)  "Mabelle"
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 08:06:23 PM »

Harmony H-76. 3 DeArmond pickups, Bigsby and Brown Sunburst finish. Beautiful guitar and great sound. Bought it for $100 in January 1965, traded it in on fairly new Fiesta Red Strat about 9 months later and made money on the deal.  :D (Then sold the Strat for a pittance!)  :(

First acoustic was a 1966 Martin D-18 bought in 1972 for $150. Still have it.

Those were the days!

First Larrivee. LV03-BW. Won't be the last. (Don't tell the wife)  ;)

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
mnewton

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 08:19:34 PM »

First Guitar:
Squire Strat

First Acoustic:
Green Takamine

I sold the strat to buy the Tak.

I traded the Tak for a Martin DM.

I sold the DM and bought a Taylor 314ce w/Fishman.

I sold the Taylor 314ce and bought a Taylor 314ce L1 (koa with the ES system).

My wife says I can never sell the new Taylor, but she didn't say I couldn't buy another guitar.

bing4sons
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 08:25:25 PM »

I first started on a borrowed guitar (Harmony, I think) and the strings were about 1/2" off the fretboard.

Within a couple of months I bought my 1st guitar.  It was a Yamaha folk guitar.  That was probably 1973 or 1974.

Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 08:31:01 PM »

I first started on a borrowed guitar (Harmony, I think) and the strings were about 1/2" off the fretboard.

Within a couple of months I bought my 1st guitar.  It was a Yamaha folk guitar.  That was probably 1973 or 1974.
sounds pretty familiar......Stella by Harmony....cherry sunburst.....strings an inch and a half off the fretboard due to my brother leaving it out in the rain (all the metal parts were rusted)   He was seven years older and had taken a few lessons at the local music store with it.    I played it for a few months and when mom and dad realized that I was going to stick with it, they bought me a 99.00 Applause with the aluminum fingerboard (circa '76 or so)  
I played it until I wore the ebony 'paint" off it.    :lol:  

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Eastman E10D - Mahogany/Adirondack
Cordoba C9 Mahogany/Euro Spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 08:39:59 PM »

... they bought me a 99.00 Applause with the aluminum fingerboard (circa '76 or so)  
I played it until I wore the ebony 'paint" off it.    :lol:
Hey, those were great guitars! Aluminum fretboard, plywood sound board, shaped foam necks and fiberglas back and sides. In an emergency, you could use it as a canoe paddle. (Not recommended for the electric versions)  :lol:  

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
sawdustdave

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 09:21:53 PM »

First guitar was a cheap classical no-name from a school supply catalog just after graduating from college. Then came a Harmony, all maple, I think. Characteristic 1/2" string spacings. Traded that for something, can't remember what, though.

Got the Mrs a Washburn D10M used, which was our only guitar for years. Then, I got my Yamaha DW105, plain jane but NICE, which I traded for my Martin SWDGT, which went for the Martin JC16WE.

Along the way came the S&P folk, an Olympia, a Taylor 214, an eBay junker, and my Larrivee LV03R and rosewood Parlour.

All told, for a singer and piano player I've got 4 guitars... Wow!

Dave

Dave

Martin JC-16WE
Larrivee OM-03D
Walden C2010
Taylor GS-Mini Hog
Jim S

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 10:36:57 PM »

After banging on a nylon for a few months I purchased used '70s Martin HD-28 in 1979 which I still have and love

I <3 POW
jazzalta2

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 10:45:22 PM »

A Woolco acoustic when I was 15, complete with warped neck and "mile high" action. Absolutely terrible guitar and I'm very surprised I learned how to play on it.  
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 11:52:34 PM »

Silvertone Archtop,mile high action,second came a Gibson B15 which I still own.It's also the first guitar I repaired.My brother and sister had a party they got drunk I got a foot thru the top of my guitar.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
larragon

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2004, 12:08:36 AM »

I started rather late when I decided to learn how to play guitar...but my introduction was with a Taylor 422 maple (birdseye) guitar.  A very comfortable (concert size) guitar to play.  
little Jack

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2004, 01:52:28 AM »

The Beatles were gaining popularity in 1964 and I wanted to play the guitar just like them.  That summer my family and I were visiting relatives in El Paso Texas.  We went across the border into Juarez, Mexico to do some sight seeing and that is where I bought my first guitar.  It sort of looked like a classical guitar except it had steel strings.  There were bits of what look like colored pipe cleaner material attached to the strings where the strings attached to the bridge.  I thought it was beautiful.  I played that guitar for a couple of years until my brother got mad at me and flung it across the room at me.  The guitar snapped in two where the neck meets the body.  From that point on I started buying, trading and buying guitars, as I’m sure many of you have done.  I was looking for that elusive “holy grail” guitar.  I now own three Larrivees and as far as I’m concerned the search for that perfect guitar is over, because every guitar I’ve ever owned was the perfect guitar at the time.  
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2004, 02:10:07 AM »

My "first" guitar actually belongs to my mother. She bought it for $150 in the early 1970s and I adopted it shortly after when she got frustrated and gave up playing. It's smaller than a dread but bigger than a parlor so I guess it may be an OM. As a little kid up to my mid-teens I loved playing it because of its smaller size. In fact, the nearest best fit was a Larrivée OM-03.

It's still sitting in a closet in her house, in fact, but one of the buttons on its cheap 3 in 1 tuners broke off. The whole thing is laminated and I have no idea what type of wood is used for the veneer. I don't know the brand name but the logo on the headstock is a "K" inside an oval. The bracings still seem firm and the top is flat as a board (unlike my Tak) but the laminate seems to be coming apart around the bindings and at the edge of the sound hole. I've been pondering on replacing the tuners and using it as a travel guitar. I certainly wouldn't put a lot of money into it in light of its original price and quality.  

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish

1989 Kramer 610

1973 Takamine F-360 ("Martin Lawsuit" all-laminate D-28 clone)
HangFire
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2004, 02:15:14 AM »

Cherry Sunburst Harmony Rocket, three D'Armond pups, half-dozen knobs and a poorly designed (3) bolt-on neck... :o

Sounded like crap, hard to play, wouldn't stay in tune, but at least it was ugly!

2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2004, 02:35:58 AM »

I don't know the brand name but the logo on the headstock is a "K" inside an oval.
Sounds like a Kay guitar. They were very big in the 30s through early '70s when the Japanese came in and undercut the market with markedly better guitars. They were big competitors with Harmony. Both companies made a lot of stencil guitars for Sears, Monkey Wards, Penney's, Spiegel and the like.

The acoustic arch tops (the higher priced ones) were actually not too bad. I remember an all black one that played decently. The higher priced Harmonys weren't too bad either. The flat tops were thick plywood and heavily braced.  

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
l31itz

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2004, 07:37:49 AM »

First Guitar: Used Takamine G230 - sold after 4 months

Got a Seagull S6+ Spruce - returned because of a crack in the wood near the truss rod.

Got an Alvarez PS100 at Mars Music closing sale - eBayed after 1 day

Got an Ibanez AW500 at Guitar Center  -  eBayed after 2 months

Got a Tacoma DR-38 at Guitar Center - eBayed after 3 months

Got a Larrivée L-09 - eBayed after 2 months (had a chip in the finish behind 2nd fret. how annoying is that?)

Got a Breedlove SC25 Coco/Sitka - Had it since November '03 and I'm NEVER letting this thing go.

I do miss my Larrivée and I plan to get another one in the future as a backup. Hopefully I can find a nice used L-03R , L-03K , or L-03BW.

2003 Breedlove SC20 Coco/Sitka (Nov 26 delivery)
Bone nut and saddle
Schaller nickel tuners
Ebony tuner buttons
L.R. Baggs Dual Element

2003 Larrivée OM-03R: SOLD

2003 Larrivée L-09: SOLD
Aujouret

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2004, 08:30:04 AM »

I started off with a ukulele. I moved on to guitar as I wanted to learn blues stuff. I have a Cordoba Classical guitar and my new Larrivee Parlor. I play blues on the Classical. Love that nice warm bass sound from the cedar top. I practice my fingerstyle on both.
The more I play my Parlor, the more in love I am with it. Wonderful sound. Great smell- everything!
I will be buying another guitar, I'm sure.
When the GAS kicks in.
Pinetree

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2004, 11:18:22 AM »

First guitar, a nice plywood Fender. Owned numerous Yamaha's over the years, but 30 years later I'm still playing that same old Fender. Some day will own a L03K or L03R
mjvincent

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2004, 12:08:54 PM »

After many years of procrastinating about wanting to play a guitar and being jealous of those that did I went onto ebay and bought an inexpensive guitar.  I thought to myself that I could see if I liked it first...  I found what I thought was a full sized guitar and it was described to be in good condition with a carrying case too!  The guitar is a Synsonic guitar about a 3/4 size guitar with a bridge coming off the soundboard and action about the height of a slide guitar.  After finding out that my toy guitar was unplayable (with a laugh from the nearby music store) I bought a Samick for $99 dollars which turned out to be a decent guitar.  I traded it for a Takamine and the Takamine for the Larrivee...

;)  

Mike Jones

Larrivee D-03R
K&K Pure Western P/U
Seagull S 12+
Ultrasound Ag30P
ESP EC 100-QM
Webstrings Lights
walking man

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2004, 01:08:25 PM »

A harmony strat copy that included an amp with a four inch speaker.  Got a book with it that taught me how to play "Every Rose has it's Thorn" and other such nonsense.  I guess that dates me, huh?  For me, the greatest thing about that first guitar was that I didn't know or care about it's tone...when I strapped it on I was the bees knees!  

WM
OM-03

Deep greens and blues are the colors I choose...
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: