Guitar Straps

Started by edgeguy, March 29, 2008, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Has anyone ordered guitar straps from the Larrivee wearables and are they good straps?  If you have other straps suggestions that would be great.  Also, has anyone used the planet wave quick release strap end? 

Thanks  :nana_guitar
Larrivee OM-03 MQ

I believe the Larrivee straps are still being made by Levi. Although I didn't order one through LarriveeWearables, I do use similar Levi straps and flat out love them. I think the Levi part number is MSS80. If you go to the Levyleathers.com site and look in their product catalog, look under "Classic" with the subtitle of padded and it is on page 3. I have a Walnut for the 12-sting, Brown for the LV-10, and Black for the Epi.

I use the Dunlop strap locks on all my guitars.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

I have two Larrivee straps (although I received them with guitars & didn't purchase them from Wearables).
Good quality heavy leather, machine-stitched and pressed (pressed, to look like hand-tooled, but nice).
Had I bought them from the Wearables site I would not have been disappointed.

i love sully's straps.  i first read about them on this forum somewhere.  check out www.sullysstraps.com

I think EVERY strap manufacturer should offer choice of cut-outs for regular end pin or strap jack.  Seems like a no-brainer to me.
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

I have a deluxe strap and a traditional strap from Larrivee. I think they are excellent.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

I'm kinda curious if you've looked at alternatives - I bought a strap about 2 years ago that i was made to believe was leather , but it was swede with a plastic coating sew on  - sorry this is not full grain leather as advertised -( was a levy strap ) When i looked into full grain leather straps after that I found out good stuff started at about 75 bucks ( not kidding ) So i remembered alternatives , seemed i remember as a kid they use to use leather for rifle straps ( not in the US but European ) I checked with Army-Navy store ( old military stuff ) and i found two rifle straps ( that adjust for length -about ten bucks apiece ) and i treated it with mink oil to soften it as well as take off most of the metal hooks and what have you- plus I made a template from another strap for the ends ( you can cut with a razor knife - I used a scrollsaw with a #2 blade ) and i have a professional as well as a unusual guitar strap . I'm going to use the second rifle sling for a case strap ( clip on my Larrivee case )  In the past i remember going to the Salvation Army - buying two identical belts ( about 2 dollars a piece- new ) and making an adjustable strap out of them as well - Please don't settle for this orient made garbage thats out their ! A nice handmade strap is wonderful, but this strap is so funky and comfortable- and it has a nice story behind it !

thats a pretty unique guitar strap you got there tony.

i bought a levy's about 3 years ago and havent had a problem from it yet. i think i paid about 60 bucks for it.
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

i found with the straps for my larrivee's that i have to cut the hole in the strap much larger to fit on the end pin.  and even then, it dosent sit in there to well.   

not that i would ever be jumping around with a guitar, it'd be more re-assuring to have it put in there better.

Larrivee D-50 total sunburst
Larrivee D-03r
Gibson Custom Shop Advance Jumbo Gold
Gibson SG Classic
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull S6+GT
Art&Lutherie 12 String
Epiphone M-20 Mandolin
1960/61 Supro Lap Steel
Squier P-Bass

This was discussed before but I used the AA battery trick someone mentioned. Wet the leather, put the battery in the hole and let it dry. Voila.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I reccomend Long Hollow leather straps made in Franklin, TN.  MUCh nicer than the Levy's and not mass produced.  Small shop made and very nice!
A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?

Funny to see post on straps. I have one strap that I use for all my guitars. A guy that came and auditioned for a band in 1987 forgot it when he left, and when called back was like "whatever, I have a bunch of those". I have used this same leather strap ever since. I have not been able to find a reasonable replacement for it, if I did I would probably buy 3 or 4 more of them. It was ACE brand. Every other strap I have ever used has been inferior and I have bought quite a few. This one is getting ready to fail in the next 10-20 years so I need to start thinking about getting some more :)

2002 Larrivee California Special Ed. LV19?
1972 Martin D-35
1969 Harmony Sovereign 1260
1995 Gibson LP Custom wine
2000 Heritage Millenium 2k
1990's Parker Fly Deluxe
2004 Brian Moore i gtr

I have the carved Larrivée strap - excellent.

Re the planet waves, I have one of their straps. At both ends it has a plastic ratchet mechanism that locks. OK for electric but not for my acoustiocs for some reason.
God is Good
Larrivee L09, L05, L05 MT, P 09, OM 03 MT 12 string
Hofner Committe Thin 1962
Musicman Albert Lee (blue)
ditto in red but hard tail
Silhouette Special

I have the stamped leather bluegrass strap and it's very nice. Good quality leather but I did have to work it a little to soften it up and I had a loose Larrivee strap pin that I left in the holes for a while and took in an out occasionally  until it was easier to get on and off the guitar.